what is your functioning level in your opinion?

Page 3 of 5 [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2014, 9:13 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Transyl wrote:
This question is hard because there isn't a clear baseline and there are so many different aspects. Some people on the spectrum may not be able to hold back from an obvious melt down. Am I higher functioning because I can contain it? Because I can hide the overload, burnout, frustration, paranoia, self-hate, etc.? Even if it's killing me and I can barely keep up the facade?

All I can say is the term high functioning feels wrong when applied to myself. If I had money and food I could take care of myself. At least in theory. But other than that I don't see myself as very functioning. Being around other people hurts. I feel like all I can do is fail. That they'll inevitably end up hating me or simply never care one way or the other... which feels like hate. Apathy is just as bad as hate to me. I don't like being around permanent strangers with their neutral expressions looking at me but not seeing me. Being around people who do "see me" can be just as hard but in a different way. Because I still feel like they're far away. Like a distant star. I don't know how to reach them. I disappoint everyone.

Because of my stuttering I can not talk well and likely come off as not intelligent. I have a terrible memory for most things. Even if I could talk well my brain seems slow unless I'm talking "to myself". Which mostly consists of ramblings and tangents and debates and trying to understand the world or trying to find a way to make life better but never coming any closer to it. Everything overwhelms me. The smallest thing that a normal person, probably even a lot of people with Asperger's, would never think twice about can take a toll on me.

Wow. I think we are the same person - only I could never describe it so eloquently.

Thanks. It's always nice to hear someone else feels similar. :)

I had a rough time this last week. People, they weren't really mean, one woman paid me a sort of compliment... but I was around them constantly. Sitting with people on a bus, walking past them in a hall, standing in line, on and on... and we're just strangers. And we always will be. I don't know how to tune it out. How to be around all these people and not be overwhelmed.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Sep 2014, 2:57 am

1) what would you say is your functioning level? how does it differentiate from the functioning level in which they classificate you?
Because I have literally been trained to speak to people, I can look very high functioning for a short period of time. Any longer than an hour and I start to fall apart. My disability in math and language/reading etc would be considered very low. My social emotional ability would be very low. My stimming and intense interests will rate me at about medium. So I think I am a mixture depending on what the situation is and what part of my skills/traits are being used. Overall, I can feed myself, bathe myself and take care of my kids so many think just because I can take care of my kids that must make me high functioning. Kids are my special interest since I was five so I guess I have that advantage!!

2) what are your biggest challenges in your opinion?
Math, numbers, colors I mix up yellow and white, green and orange. I mix up words and I use words incorrectly. I can not keep up with house and kids at the same time. I usually chose my kids as they are more fun than chores and cooking. I have bad depth perception so driving is hard. Understanding when to stop after someone is noticiably upset with my words. Knowing how NOT to say something even though I know it is possible it could make someone upset. Not being able to let go of problems that have not been worked out, either through someone personal or through a situation at a doctors or play thing. Keeping friends.

3) what are some of the things you are good at?
Taking care of children and understanding them. Trying really hard to contain my meltdowns and my thoughts (even though I might not succeed) I never give up on techniques that will help my family cope with me. Loving my kids. Helping people.

ImaBandito1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2020, 5:14 pm

1) this is a tough one. I was diagnosed with level 2 and I believe that would fit me as an overall level but, at home I'd be a level 1 cause I can talk freely and stuff, but at school, it would be more of a level 3 because I only really nod my head or shake my head.

2) I really struggle with everything. I can't recognise my own feelings most of the time but I can tell when I'm anxious cause I shake my legs. I also struggle with communication and when it's appropriate so I just sit in silence without communication instead. Also, sensory issues are a massive struggle.

3) I am really, really good with animals but I only really like birds. I have almost 20 birds and I am gonna get more because I am working to hand-rear babies next month. Woo

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 5:56 pm

1) I would classify myself as moderate-functioning because there seems to be a distinct difference between me and many high-functioning people both here on WP and who I know in person. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, so probably high-functioning, but that was about 16 years ago, when I was in fourth grade. I think if I was to be re-assessed now, I'd probably be diagnosed with level 2 ASD.

2) My biggest struggle is probably with social interaction. I have social phobia and selective mutism, both of which make social situations extremely challenging for me. Sensory issues are also a big thing for me. I have a hard time in places like restaurants and grocery stores, the noise and crowds often cause me to shut down (this is helped by my service dog, who helps ground me and keep me from shutting down). I have problems with showers due to sensory issues, I've switched to taking baths instead because it's easier on me. I also have a problem where if left to my own devices, I don't eat (though if food is put in front of me, I will usually eat it, though I am picky). These are the things that most affect my daily life.

3) I don't know, there really isn't much I'm good at. Maybe intense focus on something I'm interested in? But I can't do that at will and I don't choose what it happens with. I can't think of any interests I have that are at all useful, though, so it doesn't really do me a lot of good - couldn't really be used for a career or anything.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2020, 11:43 pm

There are so many different kinds of functioning that this question seems meaningless.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 12:05 am

dragonsanddemons wrote:
1) I would classify myself as moderate-functioning because there seems to be a distinct difference between me and many high-functioning people both here on WP and who I know in person. I was officially diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, so probably high-functioning, but that was about 16 years ago, when I was in fourth grade. I think if I was to be re-assessed now, I'd probably be diagnosed with level 2 ASD.

2) My biggest struggle is probably with social interaction. I have social phobia and selective mutism, both of which make social situations extremely challenging for me. Sensory issues are also a big thing for me. I have a hard time in places like restaurants and grocery stores, the noise and crowds often cause me to shut down (this is helped by my service dog, who helps ground me and keep me from shutting down). I have problems with showers due to sensory issues, I've switched to taking baths instead because it's easier on me. I also have a problem where if left to my own devices, I don't eat (though if food is put in front of me, I will usually eat it, though I am picky). These are the things that most affect my daily life.

3) I don't know, there really isn't much I'm good at. Maybe intense focus on something I'm interested in? But I can't do that at will and I don't choose what it happens with. I can't think of any interests I have that are at all useful, though, so it doesn't really do me a lot of good - couldn't really be used for a career or anything.

can easily recognize minimum of at least half of what you wrote here, in varying degrees of severity, but appears that autodidact maybe my strength

along with some weirdness that positively affects my general memory, unfortunately traumas seem to have had a big portion of of memories . But have read somewhere that people do not learn as much from positive experiences than they do from negative ones .

where ever you go ,there you are

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 2:34 am

Functioning: Mild to moderate ?

Weaknesses: Organising and planning; multi step tasks;practical tasks ; keeping a place clean and tidy; personal care(brushing teeth) ; poor sense of direction ; drinking enough(prone to mild dehydration) ; social interaction ; identifying feelings ; cognitive flexibility.

Strengths: Money management .

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2020, 11:32 am

1. Mild (close to nonexistent)

2. Mostly sensory issues and comorbid conditions. I never go to parties, school dances, or concerts because the noise levels are unbearable to me. As for comorbid conditions, I have two anxiety disorders: GAD (diagnosed) and SAD (strongly suspected). These make me worry excessively about things from homework deadlines to the thought of screwing up in front of someone I like. I also have short-term memory problems (e.g. occasionally forgetting what I'm talking about with someone or what I want to say to them).

3. Long-term memory, logic-based thinking, intense passion for anything that interests me, writing (as long as I'm not confined to a rigid structure)

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 12:03 am

I'm diagnosed as level 2. I describe myself as "moderate functioning".

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2020, 3:29 am

Mild, high-functioning, socially awkward but not socially clueless.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 3:13 pm

I would say that I definitely have not only mild issues. Now I am on social pension and have ruling of moderate level of disability due to mental illness. I was last times diagnosed with Asperger's, OCD and schizotypal. I think that I would be diagnosed with NVLD in America, but I think that NVLD is often a different sort of autism instead of something which is just a learning disorder.

1) what would you say is your functioning level? how does it differentiate from the functioning level in which they classificate you?
I would say level 2. My disability rulings are counterparts of it in some way.

Religious challenges. Having no sin. Not being cast to hell. I have extreme difficulties in faith and experience "Big Confusion". I have thoughts that Quran is from God because of numerical miracles (which in fact are present in (or about) its original text), but I do not want to believe in false religion. Scrupulosity since above 10 years, fear of committing sin when I may see many thing as sinful or mortally sinful. Blatant difficulties with Catholic practices like examination of conscience or confessing sins (it is complicated). I am uninterested in normal life and "live in own word" or rather "in own way in real world". Bookish OCD, now very severe, "fueled" by "harsh" religions. Suspiciousness. Taking psychotropic meds and not having driving licence (I have never driven a car despite being 28 years old) Lack of wife which ruins my life(?), having a job. I have marked issues with showering, changing clothes, being well-kept (for my mentality they are unnecessary for happiness, in addition they may be unpleasant physically and posing risk of infection (paradoxically!)). Problems with making decision, poor executive functioning and visual thinking and memory. Lot of delusion-like thoughts or ideas of reference. Bizarre sexuality since childhood. Being complete kook and "me**ed up".

Scholastic skills (not associated with physical education or directly technical tasks), riding in public transport, not drinking ethanol or consuming nicotine and illicit drugs (intoxicants like marijuana, cocaine, heroin), theological thinking.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 3:41 pm

Quote:

I was diagnosed with Asperger's when I was 8 and I've always identified as mild and high-functioning. But being only 8 when I was diagnosed makes me feel like I'm severe because of the high amount of high-functioning Aspie girls that go undiagnosed until adulthood. Many people will say that I'm lucky and maybe they're right, but it causes confusion for me for being so mild yet so recognizable at an early age. I hated having a label as a child.

Quote:

My anxiety and overthinking. I always assume the worst, or I overthink without realising it. It's just the way my brain works. I'm on meds but it doesn't really cure my anxiety disorder, it just helps me have more control over anger and self-esteem issues. Anxiety and depression can be an affliction, even for NTs with the disorders, but society seems to think that anxiety or depression is "no excuse" and that it's "all in your head" so you should "man up and get over it".
Also I'm sensitive to certain things like some noise and clothing tags - which can affect your daily living, if you think about it. I hate sudden loud noises, and knowing a sudden noise could occur at any moment gives me severe anxiety and is bad for my blood pressure.
I am capable of working but only if it's suitable for my needs. Working somewhere that's too demanding will make me feel depressed, anxious and even verbal lash-outs at work. It happened at my last job, because that job just wasn't for me. I'm happier in the job I'm in now.

Quote:

I'm good with empathising and being loyal and passive. I'm also good at writing.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 3:48 pm

1) what would you say is your functioning level?

High

I wish I was better at job interviews. I get a lot of them since my qualifications are good, but it seems hard for me to progress to the next stage of my career from here. Maybe one day.

I'm good at my job. I'm a good scientist, and I think a pretty decent writer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:16 pm

I was diagnosed very young---at preschool age.

I would be classified as "mild," since I have a job, am married, and I am independent.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was diagnosed very young---at preschool age.

I would be classified as "mild," since I have a job, am married, and I am independent.

Never worked, wife died in 2005, live on my own , but get quite a lot of support

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2020, 9:41 pm

My functioning level is very high. My malfunctioning level can be high too. Depends on the situation. Work and hobbies are great. Dating is a major failure. Very lucky to have had a 35 year long relationship in between the dating disaster zone. Fortunately, at this age it doesn't bother me like when I was 18.