Why is going up stairs so much easier than going down?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 9:36 am

I get this feeling walking down stairs that my foot is going to catch , my balance go , and I'll end up tumbling down the stairs . There's no physical problem with my legs . My balance and coordination have never been good .

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2020, 10:23 am

When human body leans forward, they move forward faster and easier. And so is going upstairs with it.
I'm sure leaning forward while going down and facing the stairs isn't safe, especially with coordination issues.

Issues with balance also has something to do with how the body tends to lean to towards when moving.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2020, 11:54 am

I have a not very good arrangement of stairs and landing at the top of the stairs I use most. There's a step down, a small landing, another step down to a small landing, then a flight of stairs. There's also a low ceiling over the second step, so I have to lean forward to go down it. I often feel as if I'm likely to fall down the stairs if I'm not careful. If I ever get all the doors on the nearby rooms fitted, so I can make a lot of mess, I want to cut the offending step back, which should help. But this does make me quite anxious about going down stairs anywhere.

I think a lot of the problem with going downstairs is that's it's a bit like a mild version of stepping off the edge of a cliff! There's a big empty space in front of you, so if you stumble you can get badly hurt (or worse). Going upstairs, there's something comfortably solid in front of you, and if you stumble you'll land on the steps above you, and are likely to only be slightly hurt, if you're hurt at all.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 8:30 am

I've fallen upstairs before.

I've also fallen down a couple of stairs - it was as I reached the bottom two stairs at the train station. I misjudged the second from the bottom step. I have no depth perception and I thought I'd reached the bottom so I stepped out wider and just fell into thin air. I ended up grazing my knee and hurting my wrist but mostly I was ok. Several people laughed which was not nice.

I think that when you're going down stairs, with each step there's a split-second where there's no... control I think the word is? It's like you're stepping into space. Off a cliff as JohnInSpace said. That's what it's like.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2020, 10:11 am

When going upstairs one is leaning forward and the consequence of misstep is lower. When going downstairs a misstep can be much more severe. Also, as one ages the sense of balance begins to fade. One can add the sense of touch (handrail or leaning and sliding against the wall) as well as using sight in a well lit stairway to aid in a total perception of balance.

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2020, 10:11 am

renaeden wrote:
Off a cliff as JohnInSpace said.

In Space? I thought I still had my feet on the ground, but on the wrong planet. :lol:

JohnInWales
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Feb 2020, 10:16 am

timf wrote:
When going upstairs one is leaning forward and the consequence of misstep is lower. When going downstairs a misstep can be much more severe. Also, as one ages the sense of balance begins to fade. One can add the sense of touch (handrail or leaning and sliding against the wall) as well as using sight in a well lit stairway to aid in a total perception of balance.

It doesn't help that I haven't got round to fitting a handrail yet, and that I'm often trying to manoeuvre around my dog, who is starting to get old so I watch out for her in case she stumbles. I do tend to slide my hand or arm against the wall. Maybe one day my head will let me do some more work on the house, and make the stairs safer!

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2020, 10:17 am

I've always felt the opposite (going downstairs easier than up) :P

dracblau
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2020, 10:05 pm

OMG! I have the opposite problem. I go into anxiety attacks when I’m climbing stairs, sometimes freezing in place and grabbing the handrail for dear life. Going downstairs, on the other hand, is a breeze for me. I think it’s psychological with me, and not physical.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2020, 10:21 pm

I think the quadriceps, used when climbing stairs are stronger muscles than the hamstrings which are used for going down stairs.

I found that out years ago after running a marathon. The next day my legs in general, but mainly my hamstrings were so sore that I had to go down stairs backwards for a few days.

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2020, 9:52 am

I've heard that going uphill and downhill each have their own challenges.

Going uphill is hard work for your muscles.

Going downhill is hard work for your joints.

I find going up and down stairs equally easy in general, but maybe that's because I go up and down three stories at least three times per day.

But, if you find going downstairs painful or difficult, it could be that you're developing arthritis.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Feb 2020, 11:08 am

I fell down the stairs a few times as a kid. I still find going up much easier, whether on stairs or in the mountains. I couldn't catch up on the downhill slopes but made it up on the uphills. A few years ago I again fell down some stairs, nearly knocking my mom and my heavily pregnant sister down with me.

Much easier to control my balance going up.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2020, 2:25 pm

I'm more likely to fall going upstairs, although usually it's because I'm running. I find in situations where I can compare, I'm quicker than average walking upstairs, average or slightly subaverage at running upstairs and much quicker than average when descending.

I wonder how much the mechanics of how we perform this task matters.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell