This therapist says some interesting things about autism

Page 2 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2021, 6:56 pm

This guy seems to be spouting off his un-scientific opinions based on his own un-informed ideas. Not really even interesting.
Autistic children can experience trauma. NT children can experience trauma. Autistic children may respond differently to abuse and trauma, because of their neurological differences. I certainly did.
Correlation is not causation.
I didn't watch the whole thing, 5 minutes was all I could take. If he really is a therapist, I hope he only helps people with issues he understands, or he's going to be doing more harm than good.

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

Asple Pie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2021, 7:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
XSara wrote:
hahaha you're funny.
You mean, let me understand this because, you know, maybe it is me, I am a little confused maybe, but I am funny how?  I mean, funny like I'm a clown, so I amuse you?  I make you laugh, like I am here to amuse you?  What do you mean funny, funny how?  How am I funny?  I don't know, you said it, so how should I know?  You said I'm funny.  How am I funny, what is so funny about me?  Tell me, tell me what's funny!  Is it because I check out the people's credentials or because I report them?  Do you think that's funny? -- Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas (1990), paraphrased.

Ha ha, I thought I recognized this quote. When I quoted it, the source came up. It doesn't show in the original post. (Joe Pesci as Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas)

.... which explains why I've always felt a bit odd.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 8:10 pm

Yep....right before the Pesci character killed someone....

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 8:15 pm

XSara wrote:
what do you think about what he says?
]

As he keeps saying, he's guessing. He accepts the quashing of the "cold mother" hypothesis by nothing more than fashion. I think it is a valid observation of cases where AS is inherited from the mother's side. Neither my NT sister nor I ever heard mother say "I love you."
In recovery groups, I have met many survivors of very abusive parents who didn't "go Autistic." If someone does, causation is not shown, while the frustrations of any parent trying to communicate with an Aspie could certainly cause shouting.
He claims that "parents" get a pass on child abuse. Mothers do, but fathers are guilty until proven innocent in many courts now. Investigations into what was wrong with me did come to a screeching halt whenever the questions got around to mother, so once again, he may be missing the inherited history of AS. The older someone is, the more years they have had when avoiding any diagnosis was the healthiest way to live, and given the level of wisdom in this counsellor, it probably still is much of the time.
He seems to rely very heavily on voice compression to sound as if he might know something, but is best ignored.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 8:34 pm

Asple Pie wrote:
This guy seems to be spouting off his un-scientific opinions based on his own un-informed ideas. Not really even interesting.
Autistic children can experience trauma. NT children can experience trauma. Autistic children may respond differently to abuse and trauma, because of their neurological differences. I certainly did.
I didn't watch the whole thing, 5 minutes was all I could take. If he really is a therapist, I hope he only helps people with issues he understands, or he's going to be doing more harm than good.

While for probably most of us, we had caring parents, I am wondering if with a few trauma can make a difference, because in the last decade or so I have had a lot of trauma in the past, and it is when things went downhill as I faced too many catastrophies within a relatively short time.
Now I know that I will recover. It is a matter of time. But while if someone is on the spectrum or not is a seperate issue here, there is the point that trauma can seriously effect us too.

Maybe those who are on the spectrum react differently to those who are not when they hit a crisis? I do not know. All I know is how things hit me and the silly thing is, now looking back I realize how things have happened that effected me in a mental way and this came out in a physical way, but while going through it all, it did not occur to me it was mental. I just was puzzled why I feel oike this and why can't I do the things I used to do, and why is life such a struggle etc.
The traits I have had since childhood... It never occurred to me that my wierdness was due to autism traits. I just thought it was me and I thought of myself as a kind of second class citizen. It never occurred to me that the reason why I thought that due to peoples reactions to me could have a reason. I just thought that the majority of the human race was just mean and my life was on the recieving end of their mean-ness. \○/

But thank God not everyone is mean and I have met some really exceptionally good people who I don't know where to start to say how good they are.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

08 Feb 2021, 11:46 pm

It's also usually what I hear from people in the spectrum what they believe, and my psychologist had stated that unsocializing me and not teaching me to communicate had made me skilless in life. That is due to the parenting.

I am of the opinion that had I been raised healthily I would have much more fitting in skills and less anxiety and social fear. Also what happened in class and the way I was taught to deal with things had set the way for my development and the way I coped with things. Passive.

It definitely didn't make me autistic but it made me worse and lesser fit in. I notice people in better families on the spectrum have less issues with bullying and not fitting in, feeling alone and trust issues towards the world.

It's worth more research like he said.

I laughed at 'pop psychology' because he is a musician.
Fnord has no idea how funny he can be when he's serious. But that can happen with anyone. Then again some spectrum people laugh at funerals.
How can one know if it's intended as sarcasm or a joke, in text? I guess this time it was not. Then his long reply I thought was a joke because it's so long and insistent.
Then again it's sometimes hard for me to tell with autistic people if they're joking or they took offense.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2021, 11:56 pm

XSara wrote:
I laughed because you made a joke:"he is not on the FBI's Ten Most Wanted List, so he may be as harmless as any other practitioner ", that's a comedic sentence, or that's how i perceived it. I'm not making fun of you, you're not a clown (in the pejorative sense of the term) i'm friendly :-)

Sometimes it can happen that i laugh at something someone said because i personally think it's funny, but the other person gets weirded out because they say there was nothing to laugh at. so maybe this is what's happening right now. maybe you didn't make a joke, and i just have a weird sense of humor. i don't know :-)

... ... ...
Hello, Sara, i share your "weird sense of humor"...The same sentence provoked an instant burst of laughter in me... :D :D :D

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 12:11 am

XSara wrote:
I agree Fnord. That therapist says his methods are scientific in nature, but they are clearly not. I wish scientists would do more studies on the causes of autism though. And specifically, i wish they would work on finding the causes/fixing the sensory processing issues, because those are really bothersome, to me.

... ... ...

Accumulative anecdotal evidence could be strong EVIDENCE...What this psychologist is saying is that the established system is failing to look into childhood trauma as a possible cause for autism...Keep in mind that autism experts became experts, because of their privileged position as psychologists for their ASD patients...Surely, these psychologists have accumulated enough anecdotal evidence, that if studied, could lead to other possible causes of autism, including but not limited to childhood trauma... :idea:

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 12:27 am

Fnord wrote:
XSara wrote:
I agree Fnord. That therapist says his methods are scientific in nature, but they are clearly not. I wish scientists would do more studies on the causes of autism though. And specifically, i wish they would work on finding the causes/fixing the sensory processing issues, because those are really bothersome, to me.
That is why it is necessary for us to do our own research into the personal histories and curriculum vitae of the so-called "experts", especially when all it takes to fool most people is a store-bought diploma and a few YouTube videos.

... ... ...

My respects to some humanitarian professionals--psychologists, neurologists, psychiatrists, and the like--who have dedicated their lives to the wellbeing of their ASD patients...But i have to agree with Fnord in the importance of the ASD community taking a leading role in the research necessary to find--if not a cure--at least, effective treatments that may improve the quality of life of those of you on the spectrum...

Such findings may come too late for my beloved (Aspie) husband who has serious sensory issues that interfere with his eating and sleeping :cry: ...Still, the younger generations would benefit... :idea:

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 12:44 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
It might be true for some, but if I am on the spectrum, I very much doubt it is the case with me. My personal childhood was a relatively good one with my parents but it was my schooling that I found tramatic.

... ... ...

If my recollection is correct, in the 90's, there was a significant rise of children with autistic characteristics in the Los Angeles (California) area...This rise coincided with a time when day-cares became popular...Working mothers would go back to work soon after the arrival of the baby who would end-up at a day-care wherein two or three care-takers were responsible for more children than they could care for...And so, some experts on autism have argued and will continue to argue that the mother's failing to bond with the baby at a crucial time of development caused his or her autistic traits... :cry: :cry: :cry:

[Fnord may want to research the above and correct me if i misread]...

I believe childhood trauma is only one of various possibilities...I also think environmental factors, like air pollution, may play a part, in the same way that air pollution causes asthma, and bladder cancer...Surely, childhood trauma is worth looking into it...Depending on the findings, so many preventive measures could be taken...And who is more qualified to do the research than those of you on the spectrum...Right???... :wink:

Mountain Goat, my friend, i am so glad you had a happy upbringing and to this day you still enjoy a wonderful relationship with your mother...My mother is my best friend...I am grateful to God that i still have her close to me...Good night, my friend... :D

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 12:55 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
My childhood was more good than it was traumatic. There were times that my parents jumped down my throat for just being an aspie, but the happy times outnumber those times 100 to 1.

... ... ...

I am relieved to learn that you also had a happy childhood...Good night, my friend... :D

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 1:06 am

Asple Pie wrote:

... ... ...

I did watch it completely...And he is no longer working as a therapist but somehow still in a position in which he appears to have accumulated anecdotal evidence...Based on this anecdotal evidence, he is suggesting childhood trauma as a possible cause of ASD...At the same time, he acknowledges, if true, this would not be the case of everyone on the spectrum...He is merely suggesting that the health system looks into this possibility...I tend to agree...

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 4:02 am

I had a hard time listening to this video, too much talking.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses. Possibly OCD. Is very private about herself.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 9:47 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
Accumulative anecdotal evidence could be strong EVIDENCE...

It could be, but it needs to be tested. For example, the whole MMR vaccinations cause autism argument was founded on anecdotal evidence of noticing the MRR vaccine schedule and the common onset of autistic symptoms coincided. Research showed that there was a correlation, but there was no associated cause. It was just a coincidence. Now, that idea that vaccinations cause autism is in the world and it is very dangerous.

This speaker in this video also stated he noticed that these children were healthy babies, it was only later that their autism was noticed. See a pattern? It is the same argument as the vaccine-autism argument.

Yes, making observations can lead to some very important discoveries. But making conclusions from anecdotal observation is not enough and also dangerous. Observations are just the start of the process.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 9:54 am

Clueless2017 wrote:
He is merely suggesting that the health system looks into this possibility...I tend to agree...

Why are you assuming this work has not been done?

Traumatic Childhood Events and Autism Spectrum Disorder

Association of autistic traits in adulthood with childhood abuse, interpersonal victimization, and posttraumatic stress

These studies say that trauma accentuate autistic traits, but are not the cause of autism.

Clueless2017
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2021, 11:39 am

Jiheisho wrote:
Clueless2017 wrote:
He is merely suggesting that the health system looks into this possibility...I tend to agree...

Why are you assuming this work has not been done?

Traumatic Childhood Events and Autism Spectrum Disorder

Association of autistic traits in adulthood with childhood abuse, interpersonal victimization, and posttraumatic stress

These studies say that trauma accentuate autistic traits, but are not the cause of autism.

... ... ...
Thank you for the references...It is not a topic i have researched, so thank you for sharing these studies...I will definitely look into it...Thanks again :wink: