Need help for a friend with severe life struggles

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

AdvocateForAFriend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2024, 7:14 pm

Hello all,

I have a friend who has had an extremely hard time finding resources that can actually help her and it has become a major crisis. I won't get into too many details but it's NOT a good situation that she is in right now. She is also highly traumatized as a result of all of this and her upbringing which she is in active recovery from.

She said I'm the first person in her long life that actually took the time to even remotely understand her and her struggles, so I'm making it my mission to advocate for her and find the resources she needs.

She is incredibly smart and extremely literal in her language. She can talk circles around people and remembers everything about conversations while people are getting totally lost on her point. Sometimes, it can take 20 minutes for her to circle back to her point because the conversation goes elsewhere, so she can essentially train people on how to speak properly to her on the fly. She is a master of the use of language in a way I've never seen before. She is utterly exhausted from all of this and constantly ends up in Burnout.

This makes it very hard for communication. Often, she will recognize that people are projecting, their ego is getting in the way, they are defending or Justifying something, etc and this is where she gets frustrated. Also, when people skip logical steps in the progression of the conversation before moving onto the next thing. Or changing contexts, etc.

I'm only just beginning to research to figure out how I can find the resources that can help her, so I don't really know where to turn. My thinking is that her situation is very unique and that she is going to need the best and brightest professional help, otherwise I fear that others will not be able to follow her line of communication. I'm new to this.

Despite her extreme intelligence, Mastery of the English language, and profound knowledge that she's accumulated over the years she essentially cannot function in society right now and things are going downhill quickly. What kind of assistance is available for someone like her? I need to start speaking to professionals over the phone and figuring out where to go with this, but I don't even know where to begin.

Please help!

AdvocateForAFriend
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Sep 2024, 7:35 pm

I've been feeding chatGPT with a lot of information about the situation and this is what it generated, in case this offers better clarity:

Subject: Urgent Need for Communication Bridge Support for Highly Intelligent and Literal Thinker

Hello [Professional/Organization Name],

I’m reaching out on behalf of a friend who urgently needs specialized support. She is an extraordinarily intelligent individual with a highly literal and precise approach to language and communication. Her unique style often involves detailed, exact explanations and a profound mastery of language that most people struggle to follow, leading to frequent misunderstandings and communication breakdowns.

Challenges She Faces:

Her communication style is extremely literal; she rarely skips logical steps and often recognizes when others are projecting, justifying, or deviating from the direct context of a conversation.

She frequently experiences burnout and frustration when trying to interact with others, as she often finds herself needing to teach people how to communicate with her in real time.

Despite her intelligence and depth of knowledge, she finds it challenging to function in conventional settings, partly due to the disconnect between her communication style and that of others.

What We’re Looking For:

A professional who can act as a communication bridge between her and other resources or professionals, interpreting her literal, step-by-step language and helping her be understood without altering her natural expression.

Someone experienced in working with highly intelligent, neurodiverse individuals who use precise language, ideally with trauma-informed training to understand the deeper layers of her communication needs.

A willingness to engage in collaborative and flexible approaches, including written communication or extended sessions to fully grasp her points without time pressure.

We’re particularly interested in speaking to communication facilitators, neurodiversity-affirming autism coaches, or anyone experienced with literal language and trauma who could help her connect to the support she urgently needs.

If this sounds like something within your expertise, or if you know someone who fits this description, please let us know how we can connect.

Thank you for your time and attention to this urgent matter.

Best regards,
[Your Name]

Where would I send this?