Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

KristaMeth
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 11:42 am

I've noticed a lot of other people on here who've had the same trouble as I have with work. My AS symptoms have been crippling in some jobs. Others' they've been next to unnoticeable. So out of curiosity, I'd like to hear about the best job you've ever had, and the worst too. I'll start.

Worst? Ohhhhh God. Foodland in Pittsburgh. I kept getting that ever so common remark that "we feel like you haven't got enough training". In other words, they thought I was a bit DUURRRR. All the cashiers and baggers were like this big happy family. Everyone joked all day and got along. I stuck out like a sore thumb. I worked there for almost 2 months and still had the hardest time managing simple pleasantries with my coworkers. I was always hoping that the line of customers would never end, for fear of standing at my register with nothing to do, talking to no one, and looking like an ass. On top of that, I kept making really stupid mistakes. Like if I accidentally punched in the wrong numbers on the register, I could not for the life of me make correct change in my head. I'd stand there, paralyzed, numbers running through my head and not making a lick of sense, until the customer finally told me how much I owed him. When I think of that I want to die. Or the b**** who gave me the dirtiest look I've ever seen in my life because I accidentally scanned her lettuce twice. She goes "UH, WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" with as much attitude as she could muster. That job made me nauseous every day.

Best job? My current one. I work for this couple who owns a cleaning business. They're some of the strangest people I've ever met. They're obnoxious sometimes, they say really stupid things, they're unprofessional, and I love them. They're imperfect, they're human. They make mistakes, and I'm okay with that. I make mistakes, and they're okay with that. There's so much give and take. They're late with my pay sometimes, I need an advance sometimes. One time boss lady babysat 6 days a week for a month straight for FREE because she felt responsible for a miscommunication of details about the new job I was taking on. I call boss dude names all the time (my favorite is Ginger [he has red hair]), he'll call 'em right back. Yet at the end of the day he'll give me a hug and tell me I'm not that bad. The pay is always fair, sometimes more than. The hours are always flexible. If my Jeep breaks down, they'll travel an hour to clean my seven banks with me, no charge of course. And best of freakin' all, there aren't any people in the banks when I clean!

So tell me your stories :)

Aoife
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Oct 2007, 12:25 pm

I've only had one job: Waitressing at an Indian restaurant. It wasn't so bad, but it definitely wasn't good.

Worst moment: Spilling a lassi (milkshake-type drink) on a guy's lap. He was from work, having lunch there, so it was his "business attire." Anyway, after I spilled it (I didn't really, I set it on the table and then knocked it over), all I could do was stand there and laugh. Kind of an inappropriate response...then I ran away into the kitchen and hid myself, trying to stop laughing. Petrifying-- terribly so.

Soon after that, I was "replaced" by someone who spoke Bengali.

Another, sort of embarrassing: The cook was Hispanic and I assumed he was Indian. He assumed I was Indian and one day, after speaking to him), he asked me if I spoke Bengali (implying my English wasn't so good).

It didn't help that I picked up the Bengali accent pretty quickly; they probably thought I was mocking them.

edal
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 2:46 pm

The best job I had was as quality control manager in an electrical factory. Every piece of equipment that broke under warranty passed across my desk and I had to find out why it broke and how to stop it breaking again. The job only stopped because the company died due to mismanagement.

The worst job was as a chemist in a food factory. I lasted ten days before my manager threw me out and told me never to come back. By that time I had arguments with everyone and nobody would talk to me.

Ed Almos

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

20 Oct 2007, 4:51 pm

the best job i had was being a janitor at a computer company

Tog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Oct 2007, 5:50 pm

At present I work for the NHS in the UK in a Community Mental Health Team (that makes me laff as well), but we are annually asked during the appraisal session "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?". I always tell them that I want to growing potatoes, in the morning I walk up the rows weeding and then work my way back down in the afternoon returning to my home at supper time. After the usual embaressed silence i suggest that they put "running this department" and we can all relax then.

My perfect job is supporting others to escape form psycholical fetters and be free of convention.

Work is a curse, do it for love.

Peace

Tog

Speedy
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 Oct 2007, 6:35 pm

My favourite job was the job I had in a gift shop, and put my OCD to good effect. Can't decide whether customers were a bad thing for coming in interrupting me, or a good thing for moving stuff about for me to put back. Worst is the job I have now, working in a factory. The only thing that stops me from leaving is the stupid money. Looking forward to my future as a dog trainer, though. :D

"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." Inigo Montoya

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2007, 8:04 pm

My favorite job is my current job at my local library. It is the best job I have ever had.

Xan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Oct 2007, 8:44 pm

hmm well i havent had that many jobs

when i was younger i used to work on the fammily farm and well that was okey lots of diffrent phycial chores so i enjoyed that.

the latest jobs i have had is weoking at a 7/11 type place i did okey i got a lot of good marks from the boss on been a hard and good worker but not very good at interacting socialy with my co workers, but the soical interaction with customers went great.

i did drive a fork lift and well that i really hate to much similar thing all the time and well i wasnt any good at it.

i worked as a biochemical engeineer at a science lab and it was great iwas really good at my job and i coulde work reasonabely well with the oter folks working there. unfortunatly they did not have the money to keep me more then half year.

then i started working as a biochem engineer at a hospital and i aboslutly hated it, i did not like to weok with pasients and well my co workers were so unlike me that we never really got a long so about 1 month befor my contract was up i told em i woudent want to contiue working there.

now i`m working at a cinema and its kinda like the 7/11 thing i get cred for been a hard worker, and i also have gotten to know my co workers resinabely well but my boss told me to not tal so much so i have tryed to be quieter. unfortunatly i allways tend to be either completly asocial or i talk all the time.

sorry about my bad spelling got dyslexia

Norwegian aspie site:

http://asforum.110mb.com/index.php

Sparkle1984
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2007, 8:59 am

My favourite job was working as a Test Analyst, carrying out user-acceptance testing of software. It was a secondment (temporary assignment) so it only lasted about 4 months, but I enjoyed it.
For the first couple of months I was executing manual test scripts which other users had written, and for the last two months I was writing my own test scripts based on the system requirement documents.