Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 2:46 am

Is taking revenge on people who wronged you appropriate under certain circumstances?

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

21 Oct 2007, 2:53 am

I have in the past seeked retribution for preceived wrongs onto me, and I must say for the most part it never improved my situation, sometimes making the situation even worse, now I find its not worth it, but I guess it really depends on what you are seeking retaliation for.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

21 Oct 2007, 3:00 am

It is socially appropriate under many circumstances.

I cannot think of any time in which it would be just or right to do, however.

Self-defense is another matter.

Tog
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Oct 2007, 3:08 am

Silver_Meteor wrote:
Is taking revenge on people who wronged you appropriate under certain circumstances?

Well you need to define revenge and any specific circumstances really but if we take examples from history and modern politics I would say - No. The cycles of initial act > revenge > retribution have been causing misery for many centuries around the globe. The acts lie waiting to be re-awakened from a festering sleep to cause awful suffering to the enactors and recipients - the Balkan situation is just one terrible example. That people always believe their actions are in some way more justified than those of others also leads to both sides feeling they are wronged.

If by revenge you mean that you need to act so that an individual or group do not oppress you then possibly but I find that violent or negative acts make me no better than the person/group I am acting against. There are modern situations where this has gone horribly wrong. It is sometimes better to see how these situations can be avoided.

There is a Buddhist story about two monks walking along a muddy road, they see a girl struggling to cross and one picks her up and carries her to the other side. Now this is against the idea of the personal struggle and achievement but he did it anyway. His brother monk is appalled but says nothing simply fuming for an hour until he can contain himself no longer. "You went against our teachings when you carried that girl, how will she ever achieve Nirvana if you do such things?" his brother replies "I only carried her across the road, you are still carrying her".

Peace

Tog

TheMidnightJudge
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 3:27 am

I recently suffered a great injustice, and I will strike with great vengence.

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 3:44 am

Yes. Whenever I've taken revenge, rarely have I regretted it, even when punished. You should always stand up for yourself and never take crap from anyone.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

21 Oct 2007, 3:46 am

Wow. Maybe there isn't much separating some aspies from sociopathy after all. :?

IpsoRandomo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Oct 2007, 3:55 am

For example, on one of my last days of high school I was riding a wheelie chair. This kid then pushes me, making me spill my drink. So I kicked him in the rear. He punched me in the face, giving me a cut lip. I had an AP European History exam that day. I managed to take it and got a 3 since I had only studied a little. Anyway, I was suspended for 1 day. The other kid got 2 day suspension and was arrested. Plus everyone was on my side. :D

LePetitPrince
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 4:42 am

no , it just makes things worse.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 5:23 am

No, revenge isn't worth it. Hating people who've hurt you, even greatly, just puts a burdern on you. Sometimes it may be hard, but the best thing to do is pity them for being ignorant and move on. It shows your strength and will ultimatly bring the most happiness to you.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:32 am

gwenevyn wrote:
Wow. Maybe there isn't much separating some aspies from sociopathy after all. :?

Sticking up for yourself and letting it be known that you won't be walked all over is a psychopathic trait?

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Wrackspurt
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:34 am

I'm a strong believer in what you send out into the world comes back to you, be it positive or negative. I used to get really mad at people who cut me off while driving. One time I decided in the moment that I wasn't going to let it get to me... not 5 seconds later someone else cut him off! Coincidence or not, my main point is if you spend the rest of your life holding something against people who have wronged you that is a hard way to live. You must ask yourself: Do you want to miserable? Or do you want to be happy? Next time someone does something wrong to you, learn from it, & then turn it around & do something nice for someone else. Perhaps it will come back to you, if not at least you made one person happy. Happiness is just as contagious as negativity.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

21 Oct 2007, 5:41 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

Sticking up for yourself and letting it be known that you won't be walked all over is a psychopathic trait?

There's a big, fat space between where being healthily assertive ends and where revenge begins.

samtoo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2007, 5:45 am

I've often wanted to take revenge, but it seems it's not my way. I just then iscolate (however you spell that) myself from them. It does nothing bad to me in the long run.

Goche21
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Oct 2007, 5:48 am

gwenevyn wrote:
Who_Am_I wrote:
gwenevyn wrote:

There's a big, fat space between where being healthily assertive ends and where revenge begins.

Agreed, not letting yourself be trampled is one thing, hurting someone back with no remorse is completely different.