That girl from America's next top model.

Page 10 of 41 [ 650 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 41  Next

beansidhe
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Oct 2007, 9:57 am

sinsboldly wrote:
I really hope she DOES'T win, and I have no disregard for her talent or even her desires, nor do I wish her anything but well and fabulous but I think she will be wonderful what ever she does, and having the 'crown' of the year I think, would just be a hindrance.

just sayin'

I completely agree.

As an actress who was once 3rd runner-up on Miss America said when asked if she was disappointed that she didn't win, "Oh, God, no. If you win, they make you *do* stuff."

The winner of Top Model is locked into contracts for a year. The others can take their 15 minutes of fame and forge their own paths.

Quirky_Girl72
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Oct 2007, 12:27 pm

LePetitPrince wrote:
after watching her long interview , she seems very self-confident and smoothly talkative ....weird , but I never watched the show so maybe I cant really judge .

Besides , i hardly believe that such gorgeous girl had never been popular or at least had friends at school ....even if she's aspie, i never recall a gorgeous girl at school with no friends and so much hated at all ...whether she is sociable or quiet she would always attract the attention of many =greater potential of making friends .I read somewhere that Heather's mom said that she was never been invited to birthday, hell even a shorty HFA fugly like me was invited sometimes to birthdays!, beauty helps much in social life in all aspects and i can sense real exaggeration about her social problems.

I totally disagree! I could see how she could have been an outcast or teased in high school. Yes, she is beautiful, but many of the traits we possess are a distraction from what is beautiful physically. A girl will appear awkward, if she has poor posture and walks w/ a slouch. The clumsiness and poor gait does not help either. If this same girl seems spaced out and has quirky twitches, it will make her seem even stranger to NTs. And, most of all, the lack of appropriate social skills and the tendency to be a loner, will only make the beautiful girl seem geeky and gawky. I might also add that a lot of us w/ AS did not follow the same fashion trends as other people, and usually shied away from wearing make-up or doing our hair. Of course, if one (I am talking about a girl) is truly beautiful, chances are they do not need make-up. However, one's style is not actually put together. However, these things can all be learned...
BTW,I think this comment is just narrow-minded in general. A lot of models were considered to be ugly duckilings when they were in high school. And these girls didn't even suffer from AS. Most models were very tall, way to skinny, and gawky looking. Fortunately, these are the traits necessary for being a model.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 1:32 pm

Kateyjane wrote:
Heather is from Valparaisio, IN. I admit to being drawn into the Aspie girl on ANTM, so I went to the web site and looked at the boards about her. There are lots of people posting from Valpo that talk about her "crazy" behaviour. She used to go out on the lawn and scream at the top of her lungs during puberty, etc. I watched my son go through this and I'm remembering my self doing some of those things. I don't think there's any doubt. I also am on the dismiss the "my favourite symptom" bandwagon. I have this trouble with my ex. He (meaning my son) doesn't really have it because he has friends, he doesn't avoid eye contact, he doesn't do this, he doesn't do that.....as if we are all little cookie cutter people like the NT's.

Sounds like me at the same age.

Erilyn
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Oct 2007, 1:44 pm

Quirky_Girl72 wrote:
I totally disagree! I could see how she could have been an outcast or teased in high school. Yes, she is beautiful, but many of the traits we possess are a distraction from what is beautiful physically. A girl will appear awkward, if she has poor posture and walks w/ a slouch. The clumsiness and poor gait does not help either. If this same girl seems spaced out and has quirky twitches, it will make her seem even stranger to NTs. And, most of all, the lack of appropriate social skills and the tendency to be a loner, will only make the beautiful girl seem geeky and gawky. I might also add that a lot of us w/ AS did not follow the same fashion trends as other people, and usually shied away from wearing make-up or doing our hair. Of course, if one (I am talking about a girl) is truly beautiful, chances are they do not need make-up. However, one's style is not actually put together. However, these things can all be learned...
BTW,I think this comment is just narrow-minded in general. A lot of models were considered to be ugly duckilings when they were in high school. And these girls didn't even suffer from AS. Most models were very tall, way to skinny, and gawky looking. Fortunately, these are the traits necessary for being a model.

I couldn't agree more. Beauty isn't everything - far from it. All personality aside, you need to at least have the body language to support it. You can be the most beautiful person in the world, but if you constantly hunch your shoulders, fold your arms across yourself, avoid eye contact, and tip your head down - all things that Heather does quite often - no one will notice you. Even if someone DOES notice you, the first time you say something "stupid" or "wrong", they will immediately turn around and walk away from you - whether you are beautiful or not.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Oct 2007, 4:05 pm

Yea`ve already had an Aspie President-Thomas Jefferson.I am currently reading a biograpy of him,its fascinating.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 8:41 pm

Joybob wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Just saw the tease for USA's Harry Shearer's "The CBS Early Show" about Heather and "her form of Autism" but I have to be to work before I can see the segment. From what I gathered, they are RAVING about her.

How wonderful to point to someone to say "you know, like Heather" than "well, not exactly like Rain-Man".

Merle

That's not wonderful at all. I don't want to be compared to someone who makes a living showing her naughty bits on television.

oh, that's ok, Joybob, I don't think anyone will mistake you for Heather.

Merle

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2007, 9:19 pm

[quote="beansidhe"]And her competition photo was fierce. She gave 'em head-on, like they wanted. ['quote]

she was confiding to one of the photographers that she was worried about not being able to give a full front pose and the photog said "then just look at the camera." I swear she went "oh!"like it was all so simple. It reminded me of ME so much.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2007, 1:38 am

I have AS and I've modelled a few times over the years. I wouldn't want to to it as a full time job but it can be fun to play dress-up even if you're an Aspie. Heather really reminds me of how I was at 21. Gawky, geeky but enjoying life in her own quirky way. She's such a sweetheart. I hope she wins!

jread
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2007, 2:03 am

I've been watching all season and I'm still not sure if I believe that she's an Aspie. She's definitely awkward and geeky, but she is also does a lot of NT things. I've also noticed that everytime someone leaves the show she's the first one to start crying.... she's way more emotional than the others.

ChatBrat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 2:48 am

jread wrote:
I've been watching all season and I'm still not sure if I believe that she's an Aspie. She's definitely awkward and geeky, but she is also does a lot of NT things. I've also noticed that everytime someone leaves the show she's the first one to start crying.... she's way more emotional than the others.

I'm the opposite. I feel that it's obvious that she has AS.

Helsinger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2007, 2:56 am

jread wrote:

If anything, the fact that she cries so easily upon the dismissal of a fellow contestant, indicates she might very well have AS. She's a woman living with other women, experiencing life with them, growing accustomed to their presence, and then one by one they leave. We Aspergians are notorious for disdaining changes like that. Heather tends to react emotionally because of those shifts.

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2007, 7:07 am

It is fantastic that she is doing so well. Is it nearly time for the overseas trip or are they overseas already? and if so where are they?

Redbird
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Oct 2007, 2:01 pm

Yeah, I would just like to say that I had read the article about her in People Magazine, and then watched the program. I don't usually watch most "reality" programs unless there's some incentive such as Charla competing on "The Amazing Race" or circumstances such as this on "America's Next Top Model". I'm glad there are people out there who are an inspiration to the rest of us Aspies, that we're not all that different from anyone else, it's just that we happen to be who we are.

MsBehaviour
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Oct 2007, 5:24 pm

The international destination this year is Beijing, China. That would have been such an adventure when I was 21. I went travelling to Thailand on my own when I was 24 which was a huge experience. I've been keeping up to date with Heather's progress on the show here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27 ... 2C_Cycle_9

Helsinger
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2007, 5:27 pm

Someone uploaded the episodes of Cycle 9 thus far onto YouTube, and that's where I keep myself updated.

gwenevyn
l'esprit de l'escalier
l'esprit de l'escalier

27 Oct 2007, 5:40 pm

ChatBrat wrote:
jread wrote:

I'm the opposite. I feel that it's obvious that she has AS.

Yeah, I haven't known people on the spectrum to be less emotional than people off the spectrum. They're just poorer at naming and controlling those emotions in a socially acceptable manner.