http://www.dailycognition.com/index.php ... g-for.html

You have to scroll down a bit.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 8:20 pm

A joke and not a very good one, either. it reminds me of

06 Jun 2009, 8:20 pm

There has been a discussion here about it I believe and it's aimed at people who don't actually have it but use the word as an excuse to get out of things. It's not directed at the ones who actually do have it.

PrincessMR1899
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jun 2009, 8:23 pm

I don't really know how to take it. It's more than just poking fun at us, it's kind of like jabbing us with a knife, really. I don't think it's funny at all. Maybe for the NT's it's "supposed to be" but I think that it's just a very ignorant and crude 'article'.

Fudo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 8:25 pm

yep that offended me, but then it's so ignorant it's almost funny.
almost.. :(

Surn
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Jun 2009, 8:27 pm

Hey everybody! Lookie what I found!
http://www.cracked.com/article_16779_p2.html

Take notes of the publishing dates of the two articles.

Nico91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jun 2009, 8:47 pm

wow that artical is so ignorant it's not even on the same planet as funny...

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 9:05 pm

They stole that from Cracked. Cracked had that up first. They even stole the pictures from it. I posted about this awhile back. These people are such idiots that they can't even write their own article, they have to steal it.

Coadunate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2009, 10:55 pm

Cause Sometimes The Motivation is to be an as*hole.

Silver_Meteor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 1:42 am

ShadesOfMe wrote:
They stole that from Cracked. Cracked had that up first. They even stole the pictures from it. I posted about this awhile back. These people are such idiots that they can't even write their own article, they have to steal it.

I remember that magazine Cracked years ago. It was an imitator of Mad Magazine. When I saw the website cracked.com I clicked on one of the links and yes it is Cracked Magazine online. There used to be another one called Sick Magazine that went out of business in 1980.

That autism poster is on the offensive side. I can't quite remember where I saw that but then again the same website that brought you the autism poster also has this:

[img][edited%20for%20content%20by%20sinsboldly[/img]
[Funny Pictures
[/url]

There was some other examples of their brand of "humor" :eew: that were just plain gross.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 1:58 am

Spokane_Girl wrote:
There has been a discussion here about it I believe and it's aimed at people who don't actually have it but use the word as an excuse to get out of things. It's not directed at the ones who actually do have it.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 2:01 am

At least they acknowledged that it is a real problem for some.

"Asperger's is a real disorder for some, but has turned into a kind of "get out of self-improvement free" card for legions of socially awkward Pokemon fans."

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 2:14 am

I think it's pretty funny. The "article" isn't about aspies, it's about normal as*holes who use AS as an excuse to remain and enforce their assholism. It says it pretty clearly aswell.

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2009, 2:42 am

It's kind of like the same thing that happened with A.D.D. I was diagnosed with A.D.D. back when it was a legitimate diagnosis, you know, back when A.D.D. wasn't just an excuse for being forgetful or ignorant.

typ3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2009, 2:49 am

Lecks wrote:
I think it's pretty funny. The "article" isn't about aspies, it's about normal as*holes who use AS as an excuse to remain and enforce their assholism. It says it pretty clearly aswell.
QFT

As far as brash humor goes, this article is pretty benevolent to those actually suffering the condition. It doesn't claim anything as otherwise that would contradict the evidence of those that know truly what AS is. Personally (albeit with a grain of salt since I haven't looked into it extensively) the AS awareness/pride movement does lack direction that can direct the awareness to NTs into a positive light; it succeeds in only the 'awareness' far more than anything else. It seems it puts too much focus on getting the word out, and while it may have solutions, it seems that most of the movement has not made that education its primary goal.

Furthermore, I do respect how the article points out the narcissistic reasoning behind the causes; equating a syndrome where any diagnosed person knows can be disabling and crippling at times to a step in genetic progress or evolution is turning a blind eye to arrogance, or just a complete miscomprehension of the actual syndrome. As much as you want to compensate for the negatives for the syndrome, the negatives are still there. Not to mention the disorganized and immensely varied nature of the syndrome. I could not help but to think that there is a large number of antagonizers for this end result.

Personally, the knowledge of AS has helped me motivate change by the awareness of my behaviors. I believe this to be the case for most diagnosed from what I have observed. It is my firm belief that those who have given up because of the diagnosis would have given up anyways.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2009, 3:07 am

Eh. :|

Those who know, don't speak.