Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:28 am

I've been looking at "shared accomodation" ads in the paper and online. I found few online that are males that 'prefer female roommate'.

This does not make sense. I mean, it only makes sense to me, if they're having problems meeting women and need the roommate as a female to get to know them and thus start a relationship. But if you ask me, this is MADE of CREEPY.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:34 am

Maybe they want someone to do all the cooking and cleaning.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:38 am

I prefer female company, so if I ever did that, I'd call for a girl too. :D

am_suomi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Oct 2009, 11:39 am

It seems weird, either looking to pick up or for cleaning/cooking. Or maybe he is really clean/tidy and assumes that female roommates will be the same?

gina-ghettoprincess
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:41 am

Maybe it's because some men think living with another man is a bit "gay". :?

Though I agree that it seems creepy.

y es como un semestre"

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 11:57 am

I would never go for it because I do not get along with men IRL.

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Oct 2009, 12:00 pm

They could be gay,gays get on well with females,well NT females anyway.

bhetti
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:00 pm

it's a pretty common thing in my area and it does seem to spring from some dislike of sharing space with another male. it's not automatically creepy. it could be a situation like a gay guy whose lover doesn't want him living with another man.

Michael_Stuart
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:04 pm

Well, with males I usually have a very bad relationship with them or a mildly positive one. With females it's almost always neutral or positive, so I would definitely pick a female roommate if given the choice.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 12:36 pm

bhetti wrote:
it's a pretty common thing in my area and it does seem to spring from some dislike of sharing space with another male. it's not automatically creepy. it could be a situation like a gay guy whose lover doesn't want him living with another man.

Usually if it's a gay person they say so, as people are very open about that here.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 3:36 pm

I sort of hate guys. There's always the boundary-pushing "who's the alpha guy here" competitive stuff that comes up. Unfortunately, if you are a guy you're stuck with having to deal with them.

So I can think of a sentiment for an ad like that, but I'd never expect it to be taken seriously. I'm surprised someone even tried.

OTOH, maybe they really are trying to do something creepy.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Oct 2009, 3:43 pm

It does seem creepy but it makes sense in a way if you want a cleaner/tidy roommate like poster above said.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:02 pm

So what if it's a guy looking for a relationship with a woman, what's so wrong about that? Why is it that even men have been culturally programmed to believe that wanting a woman is automatically creepy? A lot of guys end up meeting their female partners this way. A woman usually comes from some bad situation, sometimes because she can't get along with her mother or can't afford to buy her own house, so she stays with a guy. They end up liking each other, having kids, getting married, etc. If not this, then men and women usually end up pairing off under other life circumstances that bring them together, such as a long friendship. Happens all the time. You don't think guys just walk up to complete strangers looking for partners, do you?

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Trwn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Oct 2009, 4:15 pm

This does not make any single sense.

(I'm a male) I've seen that often and I think of it as a great prejudice.
But the same offer can came from a "females' flat". I don't think it's a question of looking for someone to date, but rather more about the general idea that females are less noisy or more agreable to live with. And it's not true, it thoroughfully depends on the individual.

Last edited by Trwn on 01 Oct 2009, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:15 pm

sgrannel wrote:
So what if it's a guy looking for a relationship with a woman, what's so wrong about that? Why is it that even men have been culturally programmed to believe that wanting a woman is automatically creepy? A lot of guys end up meeting their female partners this way. A woman usually comes from some bad situation, sometimes because she can't get along with her mother or can't afford to buy her own house, so she stays with a guy. They end up liking each other, having kids, getting married, etc. If not this, then men and women usually end up pairing off under other life circumstances that bring them together, such as a long friendship. Happens all the time. You don't think guys just walk up to complete strangers looking for partners, do you?

Yeah but then he could be doing other things. Like, things that might involve bodies buried in the backyard. Feels too much like he's luring women so he can doooo things to them, which they may necessarily not want.

It's not that wanting a woman is creepy, it's a man and a woman who are not married/in a relationship that are not related sharing a house that is creepy. It provides for a situation where he might take advantage of it. And not in a good way, either. I mean in a roofie-slipping kind of way.

Silvervarg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2009, 4:44 pm

Shebakoby wrote:
sgrannel wrote:

Yeah but then he could be doing other things. Like, things that might involve bodies buried in the backyard. Feels too much like he's luring women so he can doooo things to them, which they may necessarily not want.

It's not that wanting a woman is creepy, it's a man and a woman who are not married/in a relationship that are not related sharing a house that is creepy. It provides for a situation where he might take advantage of it. And not in a good way, either. I mean in a roofie-slipping kind of way.

Americans are always paranoid. ^^