Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 8:13 am

What is the difference between an Aspie 'blurt' and a Tourette 'blurt' apart from the fact that the Tourette blurt will usually/always have an accompanying physical 'tic'.

Although Tourette is 'best known' for the obscene nature of the 'blurt' I think that many Aspie blurts would stand up well in a contest with a Tourette competitor. ie

Tourette: f*** f*** c***

Aspie: Do you swa**ow?

Aside from the tic, what distinguishes the Aspie blurt from the Tourette blurt?

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2009, 8:23 am

Tourette's tics are far harder to control without medication. It's like you feel the need to stim, but it just feels outright impossible to avoid it.

The best known aspect of Tourette's Syndrome, the swearing, is a somewhat rare condition known as Coprolalia, which affects less than 15% of people with Tourette's Syndrome. Unfortunately, because most NTs find the idea of screaming swears at random to be absolutely hillarious, this is what they typically associate TS with. This is why I, a person with TS, have to explain to so many people why the way my head twitches is TS even though there's no swearing involved.

You know how people come up with pathetic reasons why they feel you can't possibly be on the Autistic spectrum, it goes the same way with TS where people will tell me that I can't possibly have TS because all I do is twitch.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 8:29 am

normally_impaired wrote:
Tourette's tics are far harder to control without medication. It's like you feel the need to stim, but it just feels outright impossible to avoid it.

The best known aspect of Tourette's Syndrome, the swearing, is a somewhat rare condition known as Coprolalia, which affects less than 15% of people with Tourette's Syndrome. Unfortunately, because most NTs find the idea of screaming swears at random to be absolutely hillarious, this is what they typically associate TS with. This is why I, a person with TS, have to explain to so many people why the way my head twitches is TS even though there's no swearing involved.

You know how people come up with pathetic reasons why they feel you can't possibly be on the Autistic spectrum, it goes the same way with TS where people will tell me that I can't possibly have TS because all I do is twitch.

Why dont people with Tourette quote Shakespeare, Abraham Lincoln, Michael Moore or even...........no , lets stop there.

What is the thing with the swearing?

This has always puzzled me.

I had some extended tic episodes (whilst severely stressed out) when I was around 10 and ocassionally I regress now, when under pressure, but I manage to contain it to when I am alone.

I should stop typing, I am really outing myself badly and beginning to see what a total mess I am.............

:wink:

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2009, 8:46 am

The swearing is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo. Swearing, making racial slurs, obscene gestures, etc. are all things that happen with it. It's things that you would normally try to avoid that become the hardest to avoid. There's even been cases of deaf people swearing in sign language, so it's not just a verbal thing either.

Like I said before, for the record, the swearing aspect is known as Coprolalia and it affects less tthan 15% of people with Tourette's Syndrome, which leaves the other 85% as being people who twitch and make weird noises but don't swear uncontrollably. Unfortunately the stereotype has already sunken too deeply into pop culture.

Then there's those who know hardly anything about TS and assume that all there is to TS is people who like to come up with excuses for having fun annoying people, I once had a teacher like that who refused to believe that I wasn't in control of the clicking noise I was making with my tounge.

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

When people think TS, they think swearing. There's such a huge variety of tics that people can have. My son is ASD/TS his tics include constant hard blinking, facial twitches around the nose and mouth, throat clearing, and the most interesting one, climbing. He could scale the outside of banisters (and my stairs are in the centre of the foyer and open up to 3 stories) and also bookshelves in the library, tops of filing cabinets etc. He was like spider man. It was rather impressive. ;)

Obviously the climbing was becoming a huge safety issue and we had to medicate. Once we did the climbing went away as did the throat clearing, and good portion of the blinking. The facial twitches are still there but not as noticable.

His stimming behaviour, on the other hand, is pacing and leg swinging.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

I just did a search of Tourette on a well know internet auction site..........

1. More pets with Tourette's (published in California?)

2. Tourette de France (must be a British author..... without Tourette's)

3. Mr. Tourette's (Mr Men! ,unofficial I think)

4. 'I love my grandchild with Asperger's and Tourette's' badge (well any parent would love their grandchild but...........AS and Tourette's, wow, )

normally_impaired
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Oct 2009, 8:48 am

Climbing seems like more of an OCD thing than a Tourette's one, I know that TS and OCD are very simmilar, but there are plenty of differences between the two.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 8:53 am

normally_impaired wrote:
The swearing is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo. It's things that you would normally try to avoid that become the hardest to avoid.

If George Bush was to get Tourette's Syndrome would he become compasionate, rational and surrender to a war crimes tribunal? :idea:

LipstickKiller
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Oct 2009, 9:33 am

Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:
The swearing is the result of the brain involuntarily doing things that would normally be considered taboo. It's things that you would normally try to avoid that become the hardest to avoid.

If George Bush was to get Tourette's Syndrome would he become compasionate, rational and surrender to a war crimes tribunal? :idea:

:lmao:

I have TS, mild so it doesn't bother me much anymore. When I was a kid people would make fun of me and I didn't know why I couldn't just stop with the twitching and faces. :( Very damaging to your self-esteem, I might add.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 9:41 am

LipstickKiller wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
normally_impaired wrote:

:lmao:

I have TS, mild so it doesn't bother me much anymore. When I was a kid people would make fun of me and I didn't know why I couldn't just stop with the twitching and faces. :( Very damaging to your self-esteem, I might add.

So if only George Bush had Tourette syndrome, how many more people would be alive (in Iraq) today :?:

Last edited by Blindspot149 on 13 Oct 2009, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkittlesMcBingBing
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Oct 2009, 10:10 am

*steps into the "has TS" boat*

Though lately I've forgotten so much about it, having been off medication for a couple years now. I just let the world watch me waggle, since my case is mild enough anyway not to annoy me.

I believe I am cousin.

DonkeyBuster
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 11:22 am

normally_impaired wrote:
which leaves the other 85% as being people who twitch and make weird noises ... I wasn't in control of the clicking noise I was making with my tongue.

I've wondered the same question about the relationship between my blurting out awkward truths ("That is not a good color for you.") and Tourette's. I can be thinking 'Don't say it' and it will come out of my mouth anyway...

but it sounds like with Tourette's it's not so much saying everything that comes to mind as it is just making sound, any sound.

Is that correct?

I'm enjoying this conversation... thanks normally_impaired for your experience with this. :)

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 1:51 pm

I just took the Aspie test.

The result is; basket case: Aspie; 177/200; NT: 46/200

Most of the categories were black and white except:

Aspie Communication: 8.3/10: 'A high score sometimes related to Tourette (f*****, c****, F*****), but mostly stimming (for sure) and unusual communcation (ok)

NT 'Hunting' related to Dyslexia (maybe) and Dyscalculia (this is funny I am a math whizz BUT I cant hear a phone number unless you make the right 'pauses' to break up the numbers

Funny; Tourette without the tics..............and we were just talking about it.............

At least I can feel more comfortable when I swear now :lol:

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 2:33 pm

Quote:
If George Bush was to get Tourette's Syndrome would he become compasionate, rational and surrender to a war crimes tribunal?
:lol:

Sorry I had to laugh too!

I hate having TS. It's definately different from having just AS because I was once a calm non-Touretting little girl. Stimming usually has some sort of purpose, to provide sensory pleasure (no snickering at the back) however TS movements, noises and occasionally cussing have no purpose, it just happens. I click my fingers, shake my head until it nearly snaps, scream, shout rude words (it is correct that this is extremely rare though), bend backwards and hit, punch or bite myself. My stimming is more relaxing like rocking, gentle hand flapping etc.

It is also not a good excuse to cuss at people for fun because it makes people who really have the condition seem fake. People still think I do it for fun sometimes...

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2009, 2:37 pm

Maybe George Bush did what he did BECAUSE he has Tourette's?

They can do a lot with cameras, microphones and mirrors now :!:

AJY
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Oct 2009, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Maybe George Bush did what he did BECAUSE he has Tourette's?

... you need to have a brain to have a brain disorder. George Bush has as much of that as a box of rocks.