What's your attitude towards formal clothing?

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:06 am

Do you hate having to wear suits or dresses for a special occasion? Do you even go as far as to avoid such occasions or get a job which doesn't require a uniform?

I know a lot of aspie men hate having to wear ties- that I can understand as they can be tight on the neck, but I love ties as long as they're not choking me. Some aspies may hate the feel of material used in suits, shirts or work trousers. Some may actually PREFER more formal clothing to look smarter.

What's your attitude?

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:10 am

Hate it. I once had to wear a sh!t brown polyester uniform that I think if you set it on fire it would melt instead of burn. I don't like tight itchy scratchy clothes and can't wait to get home to sweats.

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2010, 10:21 am

jocundthelilac wrote:
Do you hate having to wear suits or dresses for a special occasion? Do you even go as far as to avoid such occasions or get a job which doesn't require a uniform?

I know a lot of aspie men hate having to wear ties- that I can understand as they can be tight on the neck, but I love ties as long as they're not choking me. Some aspies may hate the feel of material used in suits, shirts or work trousers. Some may actually PREFER more formal clothing to look smarter.

What's your attitude?

I hate them - my school shirts are 65% polyester and 35% cotton and they feel horrible whereas my long-sleeved 50% polyester and 50% cotton feel fine.

I hate ties. The material they're made of makes me go into a kind of sensory overload. HATE THEM! And they itch so much. And the collars on those things...they itch all over and they're tight and hard and horrible.

If I go to a special occasion I wear normal clothes. People in my family understand I have sensory issues and to be honest I'm not all that keen on special occasions anyway.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:25 am

I actually love to wear formal clothes, just as long as I don't have to wear a dress, or a skirt.

mikkyh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2010, 10:37 am

Accidental post...

Last edited by mikkyh on 22 Jan 2010, 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:37 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I actually love to wear formal clothes, just as long as I don't have to wear a dress, or a skirt.

Just like me. I like to wear suit jackets, trousers and shirts. People think I'm odd, but it's called Aspergers :D

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:41 am

I hate it too. One of the main criteria for selecting my job was that nobody can tell me what to wear. I like the fact that in some circles the term "suit" is a pejorative term for a right-wing outsider, though I accept that not everybody in a suit is a complete and utter fascist. I found it very refreshing that in Holland the bank staff wore jeans and t-shirts - proof that chucking out the usual dress code doesn't do any harm.

That's the political reasons. There's also the more logical sensory reason - above all, my clothes must be comfortable, and suits usually aren't. I have a hard enough time staying comfortable even when I have total control over my choice of clothes, so obeying somebody else's edicts can only make it worse.

Then there's the aesthetic reasons. Frankly I think that most modern suits and formal clothes look ugly. For some reason I much prefer the look of mid-Victorian formal attire, though I've never tried it and I suspect it would be even more uncomfortable than the modern stuff. There's the occasional modern suit that I find looks quite nice, especially if it's black.

Paradoxically I quite like the idea of dressing up for fun, though in practice I haven't bothered much.

Zara
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:45 am

It's nice to dress up every now and then.

Wouldn't really want to do it all the time though.

Come check out my photography!
http://dmausf.deviantart.com/

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 10:49 am

I love to think about formal clothes. I've been sewing a lot lately and I desperately want to make dresses and stuff.. but I'm not actually comfortable wearing them! Too bad there aren't more holidays like Halloween where you can wear things you wouldn't normally wear. There should be a dress-up day every month or something.

RhettOracle
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jan 2010, 11:33 am

I hate it. I don't even own a suit anymore. I avoid situations where I would need to wear a suit and tie, and there is no dress code in my workplace, so I can wear what I like.

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 11:34 am

I hate it hate it hate it!

It's uncomfortable and I feel like I'm presenting myself to be something I'm not.

bdhkhsfgk
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 11:37 am

I think I suit them, they make me feel comfortable and classy 8)

dddhgg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 12:37 pm

I love my formal suit. It makes me look classy and feels like a nice big pajamas. As for collars being too tight, I have this wonderful Pakistani tailor who widens them for me at a very low price.

LinnaeusCat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jan 2010, 12:56 pm

My everyday dress is sometimes closer to formal (yet arty/bohemian) than casual but I won't wear high heels, stockings, or corporate wear.

INTJ.

lotsofsnails
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2010, 12:57 pm

I don't get the chance to dress smart often, I always dress really casually, but when I do I feel great, I think it really looks good on me.

Lene
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2010, 1:08 pm

I hate wearing dresses and skirts, but I like smart trousers and shirts.