Can you rank AS by level of severity?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZeroSpace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2006, 3:55 pm

Does anyone here have a ranking system or something for the varying degrees of AS? Like, mild cases rank a 1, moderate cases a 2, and severe a 3? Just something that aroused my curiousity

lae
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2006, 11:53 pm

I have wondered something like this too. I've wondered if it is possible to be borderline Aspie, or mildly Aspie, or severely Aspie. I'm beginning to wonder if these "experts" even know what they say they know, though. My sister says she read that a person can have a "ghosting" of Asperger's, meaning, I think, just a hint of it.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 6:32 am

Yes it does happen. On a scale of one to ten i was put at nine for aspergers and 10 for adhd.

So yes it does happen

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 8:30 am

I think that I'm probably the most severe person, here, so I give myself a 3.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 8:46 am

Just like Autism, Aspergers is just as much of a spectrum, we're all affected to different levels, some more severe than others, that's evident when you look at threads asking about how dependant we feel we are on others or if we live independantly or with parents or whatever... I think it'd be rather rash to base judgements though on level of functioning though.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 9:02 am

I think Obsessions have a lot to do with it, as well.

Bland
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 6:23 pm

What! 8O I thought obsessions were normal!

Laz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2006, 6:30 pm

You can Gauge a scale possibly

Not measure one, this ain't physics ya know.

But personally I would prefer that we look at the individual for who they are in the whole package rather then generalise an entire population. Person centred is the key not were to measure on the rictor scale when you bounce

Fearless
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jun 2006, 7:17 pm

The emotional circuitry in an aspie is geared towards THINGS, objects or abstract not so much people... in other words the positive emotions or chemics that stimulate them to go out and socialize are reversed in aspsies, socializing for me is an energy draining experience.

I've come to realize that aspie minds are wired differently when it comes to what behavious are rewarded or punished, most people could never spend hours and hours in front of the internet or a video game because their "boredom mechanism" goes off, in aspies they have boredom mechanism but it works totally differently. Not only that it becomes a chore prying aspies away from their dominant special interests.

Aspies get their "high" and are emotionally stimulated by ROUTINES or absorbing some kind of information that fits a pattern that stimulates or resonates with their mind.

Many aspies minds punish or "drain" them so they rationalize or become conditioned to dislike or "hate" or just remove themselves from the presence of people simply because they are born with "obsessive focus", some aspies are extravert, other aspies are introvert. But I think one common thread is that they have obsessive focus turned on all the time, some aspies can go towards extremes of finding truths, or go the other way and go into extremes or tangents of delusion depending on the emotional "frame" which becomes what I call "RSD" reality distortion field.

Peoples negative emotions and negative conditioning can begin to distort and color their reality in a permanent fashion, this is something I've only recently come to understand.

Sivad
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jun 2006, 7:49 pm

Fearless wrote:
The emotional circuitry in an aspie is geared towards THINGS, objects or abstract not so much people... in other words the positive emotions or chemics that stimulate them to go out and socialize are reversed in aspsies, socializing for me is an energy draining experience.

I've come to realize that aspie minds are wired differently when it comes to what behavious are rewarded or punished, most people could never spend hours and hours in front of the internet or a video game because their "boredom mechanism" goes off, in aspies they have boredom mechanism but it works totally differently. Not only that it becomes a chore prying aspies away from their dominant special interests.

Aspies get their "high" and are emotionally stimulated by ROUTINES or absorbing some kind of information that fits a pattern that stimulates or resonates with their mind.

Many aspies minds punish or "drain" them so they rationalize or become conditioned to dislike or "hate" or just remove themselves from the presence of people simply because they are born with "obsessive focus", some aspies are extravert, other aspies are introvert. But I think one common thread is that they have obsessive focus turned on all the time, some aspies can go towards extremes of finding truths, or go the other way and go into extremes or tangents of delusion depending on the emotional "frame" which becomes what I call "RSD" reality distortion field.

Peoples negative emotions and negative conditioning can begin to distort and color their reality in a permanent fashion, this is something I've only recently come to understand.

Holy s**t, I think you just got me down to a "T"

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 12:28 am

Bland wrote:
What! 8O I thought obsessions were normal!

They are, but not everybody here goes on about their Obsessions the way that I go on about mine. :|

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 1:55 pm

Well, I don't talk about my obsessions so much because every time I do, people get annoyed, tell me they're bored, or even tease me. Call it negative reinforcement... I know quite well that my obsessions must be kept private. I imagine even other Aspies who didn't have my special interests would be bored by my talk; so these days I pretend I'm not insanely interested in (for example) Roguelike computer games.

It's nice when your obsession matches something other people are obsessed with, though; my Lord of the Rings obsession, which started before the movies and continues after them (though it has been somewhat replaced by other obsessions now), is mostly socially acceptable.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SolaCatella
Veteran
Veteran

Location: [insert creative, funny declaration of location here]

16 Jun 2006, 4:02 pm

Callista wrote:
Well, I don't talk about my obsessions so much because every time I do, people get annoyed, tell me they're bored, or even tease me. Call it negative reinforcement... I know quite well that my obsessions must be kept private. I imagine even other Aspies who didn't have my special interests would be bored by my talk; so these days I pretend I'm not insanely interested in (for example) Roguelike computer games.

Story of my life. At least other Aspies seem to change their interests; I've had my main obsession for fifteen years and still going strong. At least I can probably channel it into a decent career.

lae
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2006, 5:00 pm

Wow. I'm beginning to think my husband is an Aspie as well. I know my husband, daughter and I all took a short quiz on line. I think the average score was 17 for women. She got 34. he got 35. I got 46. Maybe he has mild Asperer's. He will sit and play the same computer game for 6-8 hours at a time for days. Doesn't want to talk about or do much else.

trapped
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jun 2006, 1:05 am

"Well, I don't talk about my obsessions so much because every time I do, people get annoyed, tell me they're bored, or even tease me."

Story of my life as well! I remember in Grade 7 I was completely obsessed with the game Final Fantasy 7, and used to talk about it on the school bus CONSTANTLY! The other kids would sit there and listen, and then make fun of me behind my back. They finally got so annoyed and started making fun of me to my face! I never talked about the game again, despite continuing to play it way too much.

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2006, 8:55 am

In order to have a rating scale for things such as AS, it would be inconsistent because it's always so subjective.