Are most people with Asperger's Atheists?

Page 1 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

CheshireCat1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Are most people with Asperger's Atheists? What religion are you? Why are some of you Atheists? What made you decide to become an Atheist?

Last edited by CheshireCat1 on 25 Jun 2011, 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:48 pm

No.

There may be a higher proportion of atheists among Aspies, but "most" is probably over stating it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:50 pm

I am.

"Atheism" means to lack a belief in a god(s).

I see absolutely no reason to believe in a god(s), either personally or empirically; therefore, I don't.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:54 pm

When someone asks, I ask if they want the long answer or the short answer. The short answer is that I'm an atheist. The long answer is that I'm technically agnostic because while I don't believe anything that the established man-made religions tell us, and I think that the entire concept of God as we know it/Him is ridiculous, I do believe in the possibility that there's something out there that's beyond all human comprehension. As for people with AS tending to be atheists, I've said before in another topic that if it's true, it's likely due to the fact that we tend to think in rational and logical terms, and religion mixes with logic about as well as oil and water.

Bloodheart
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

I wouldn't say that most people with asperger's are atheist, a large percentage maybe but then that's true of all people not just aspies.

I'm Pagan-Atheist - I'm religious but do not believe in divine beings (gods) as such and recognise religion to be of human construct.

Good-looking girls break hearts, and goodhearted girls mend them.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:05 pm

I can't speak for most, but I am of the viewpoint that the supernatural belongs in fiction. Fun to fantasize about, and a great plot device, but clearly not descriptive of the reality we live in. As such, I am, by any useful definition of the word, an atheist. (There have, colloquially as well as politically, been definitions of god that don't imply anything supernatural, such as hyperbolically referring to a talented human being as a god, or the legally defined godhood of certain emperors, and by these definitions an atheist would have to deny the existence of Julius Caesar or John Lennon, but for the sake of simplicity I tend to exclude non-supernatural definitions and capable-of-dying-of-old-age definitions, and categorize myself as an atheist.)

kezzieb

23 Jun 2011, 5:06 pm

I'm Catholic, but I was an Atheist for a long time, mainly because my parents aren't religious so I was never raised religiously. The strange thing though despite my parents being Atheist/Agnostic was the fact that there was still always a Bible in the house and I went to Church of England schools until I was around 8 years old.
Also something I find quite interesting was that one of the junior schools I went to was called St Bede's, St Bede was a Catholic historian and is the patron saint of historians and I'm now studying history at university.

Last edited by kezzieb on 23 Jun 2011, 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aliensyndrome
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jun 2011, 5:07 pm

survey?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

I'm an atheist because I do not believe in god and I find religion boring. I don't understand it. I think it's all made up because of too many contradictions in it so that tells me god doesn't exist and it's just all beliefs and made up. Some people think there is more than one god while I was taught there is only one. Plus how did god make me? My parents made me, all it took was for them to have sex and the sperm and egg met and that was how I was conceived. God didn't decide that my mom would have three kids, she decided that herself. She decided she was too old to have kids so she had her tubes tied and she could have adopted or tried to but never did if she and dad wanted more kids. God doesn't give us food, we buy it and people grow it and sell it and factories make food too and ship it. How is god responsible for that? And also the bible has left out dinosaurs when I read it. It only mentioned how he created earth and the trees and flowers and two people. What about dinosaurs and other creatures that lived before humans?

So that is why I do not believe in god.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

I worship the internet :arrow:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

23 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I'm an atheist because I do not believe in god and I find religion boring. I don't understand it. I think it's all made up because of too many contradictions in it so that tells me god doesn't exist and it's just all beliefs and made up. Some people think there is more than one god while I was taught there is only one. Plus how did god make me? My parents made me, all it took was for them to have sex and the sperm and egg met and that was how I was conceived. God didn't decide that my mom would have three kids, she decided that herself. She decided she was too old to have kids so she had her tubes tied and she could have adopted or tried to but never did if she and dad wanted more kids. God doesn't give us food, we buy it and people grow it and sell it and factories make food too and ship it. How is god responsible for that? And also the bible has left out dinosaurs when I read it. It only mentioned how he created earth and the trees and flowers and two people. What about dinosaurs and other creatures that lived before humans?

So that is why I do not believe in god.

This post should be used as an example of how people with Asperger's tend to take things literally.

I'm a monotheist, with much of my religion coming from Christianity, as well as parts from Islam and Hindhuism.

glasscasket
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Jun 2011, 5:46 pm

I am an Atheist. I believe in what I can see, I don't believe in a heaven or hell, just resting in peace (although that heaven and hell concept does inspire many creative people). And most religions are not very original if you think about it. All hail the sun god! Yeah, I enjoyed watching Zeitgeist. It cleared up some of my doubts so that I am no longer confused about what I believe in. But I still know right from wrong and I believe in karma, which can be a real b**** sometimes. To me, religions are sometimes entertaining works of fiction.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:51 pm

glasscasket wrote:
I am an Atheist. I believe in what I can see, I don't believe in a heaven or hell, just resting in peace (although that heaven and hell concept does inspire many creative people). And most religions are not very original if you think about it. All hail the sun god! Yeah, I enjoyed watching Zeitgeist. It cleared up some of my doubts so that I am no longer confused about what I believe in. But I still know right from wrong and I believe in karma, which can be a real b**** sometimes. To me, religions are sometimes entertaining works of fiction.

From one atheist to another, I'd advise against taking Zeitgest at face value. It's very poorly researched and full of flawed reasoning and fabrication. Some of it's spot on, but there's a lot of confusion in that movie.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 5:54 pm

Must someone ask this question every other week?

In all seriousness , I am one, and I think instead of most people with AS being atheists, its closer to 50-50.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 6:04 pm

I tend to find both sides to be incredibly annoying. So I consider myself as "no assocation" or for people who don't like complex terms "agnostic".

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 6:19 pm

CheshireCat1 wrote:
Are most people with Asperger's Atheists? What religion are you? Why?

Christian Gnostic would probably best describe my beliefs.