Too depressed to do what I need to do

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:29 pm

I'm not putting this in the Haven because I'm looking for a practical solution first and foremost.

I'm too depressed to write the story I have in my mind and that I would hopefully send out to get published and get paid for because I am really really depressed because my best friend cut off contact with me. To put it simply.

I'm also too depressed to clean my room and do other simple things.

It's completely situational. I am on depression medicine that has been working well.

How do I get around the despair to get stuff done?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:35 pm

purchase wrote:
I'm not putting this in the Haven because I'm looking for a practical solution first and foremost.

I'm too depressed to write the story I have in my mind and that I would hopefully send out to get published and get paid for because I am really really depressed because my best friend cut off contact with me. To put it simply.

It's completely situational. I am on depression medicine that has been working well.

I kind of know how that feels.......I have chronic depression though so sometimes I get that depressed for no reason at all other then that I have depression. A lot of times I end up just having to push myself to get stuff done and I try and use the stuff I need to get done to take my mind off of it. I also find that certain types of music motivate me to get stuff done when I am too depressed or anxious. I also use cannabis but I am not going to recommend it as I do not like to pressure people to use drugs......as it is a personal choice one must make for them self.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

I'm only depressed around my father. Talk about a dissappointment. :cry:

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:45 pm

just force yourself. thats what i try to do. usually at the end it gives you a little mood lift and helps ease that overwhelmed feeling you get when you have a list of 'to-dos' building up.

start with the smallet task, which is probably cleaning your room. then break it down into even smaller tasks, such as tidying your desk/cleaning the floor etc and tackle them one at a time. hopefully you'll gain momentum as you complete things and be able to work up to the bigger tasks like the story

another_1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 7:48 pm

I don't mean to be glib - I REALLY don't - but the answer seems obvious to me. If you're on anti-depressants, you have a shrink - TALK TO HIM/HER!! !! !! !

I've been through depression, I know what it can feel like. Nothing seems worthwhile, everything is just too much effort - so far down that it's too much work to be sad . . . you just don't have any feelings anymore. If you've gotten to that point - and it sounds like you have - you need one on one help from a professional. Please, please, get it.

You can get past this, but I think you likely need more real-time help than we can give on an internet forum.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:12 pm

I try to cry and write about it in my diary and then call my sister to talk to her for sometime... Though she is not the sweet consoling kinds... she always brings me out of my depression to face my reality... She is a very strong person even though she is only 20...

So I'd advice you share the depression with someone and get it all out of you system.. Feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to :) I will help the best I can :)

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:14 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:
just force yourself. thats what i try to do. usually at the end it gives you a little mood lift and helps ease that overwhelmed feeling you get when you have a list of 'to-dos' building up.

start with the smallet task, which is probably cleaning your room. then break it down into even smaller tasks, such as tidying your desk/cleaning the floor etc and tackle them one at a time. hopefully you'll gain momentum as you complete things and be able to work up to the bigger tasks like the story

Yes this also a little confidence can work like positive feed back loop... Try doing something that'll lift you mood a little... Only if I knew what's depressing you I can help you better..

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:28 pm

Thank you all very much. Yes. I''l try putting on music and cleaning my room up a bit. It's making me more depressed being in a dirty room!

I do see a therapist twice a t\week. And I called her again today cause I was feeling so bad. There's only so much she can do.

Thank you pre10shun, I think I'll take you up on your offer!

I've never tried cannabid and wouldn't even know how/from whom to obtain it but it sure does sound helpful.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:38 pm

When I have anxiety or depression which saps my motivation, I try to seize every opportunity. If I think about doing something, then I get up immediately and start doing it.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2011, 8:54 pm

I experience this also, and usually over a similar sort of issue.
It really does take a mammoth effort to drag yourself out of it, and sometimes I just lay in bed as long as I can when I feel that depressed.
However, I have found it helps to go into a sort of auto mode, to get things done that you need to.
And also to put your focus into other things, like for me, I come on wp and read and reply when I am feeling that bad, or I make myself a decent meal and focus on looking after myself.

guywithAS
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2011, 10:07 pm

OneStepBeyond wrote:

this is the best answer. also, just complete one small task, and then reward yourself. u like watching movies? make a deal with yourself that you'll clean up part of your room, then you get to watch a whole movie! make the reward ridiculously large for a small effort.

then you'll start to crack it and can come back and make more progress with a positive mental attitude.

also make sure you implement this stuff: http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt66453.html

make a plan to work on that stuff and do a bit at a time. it will get things going so you don't get depressed again. but it takes quite a bit of work to implement; but then the depression doesn't come back.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

28 Jun 2011, 12:05 am

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
I'm only depressed around my father. Talk about a dissappointment. :cry:

my thoughts exactly. im really good at helping other people but cant help myself! :lol: :(

MudandStars
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 2:01 am

I tend to try and break things down into simple, achievable steps and try and build them up a bit. If cleaning your room is too much maybe you can aim to pick up the clothes of the floor one day and tidy your desk another etc...

Have enjoyable snacks around to give you a sugar boost, 'self-medicate' with the endorphins in chocolate....

?Two men looked through prison bars; one saw mud and the other stars.? Frederick Langbridge

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2011, 9:13 am

guywithAS wrote:
OneStepBeyond wrote:

this is the best answer. also, just complete one small task, and then reward yourself. u like watching movies? make a deal with yourself that you'll clean up part of your room, then you get to watch a whole movie! make the reward ridiculously large for a small effort.

ooh i do that too! if i do xyz first then i can have lunch (not really a treat but still)/go online/paint my nails etc. it doesnt even have to be huge, just something that i want to do

star_player
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2011, 7:40 pm

I wouldn't expect to figure something out so that suddenly you can just apply it when you wake up depressed as s**t one morning and voila! You're feeling better...nothing's really gonna work that way, it's more of a struggle that will tend to get better over time if you develop some nice habits..

How healthy do you tend to eat? I would try to eat healthy as s**t all the time, it definitely affects how you're feeling etc.
Ever try meditation or some other focus on reigning in your thoughts? Give it a shot but remember you'll wanna stick with it, you're not just gonna try one day and fix everything.
In general, exercise, deep breathing, and sunlight are pretty good natural methods to combat depression. Also talking s**t over with people can help, but I guess you figured that as you're around here.. :p

justjelliot
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jun 2011, 12:10 am

purchase wrote:

This will seem like an odd question, but do you have easy access to a heavy punching bag, boxing gloves, and handwraps?

Hitting a heavy bag does two things: it's intense exercise, so your endorphins will get released, and you also beat on something, which is a great way to loosen up and relax.

I went through a severe depression that ended me up in a psyc ward. What got me out of it was joining a boxing gym and I have found that boxing is more therapeutic than any doctor or medicine has ever been.

http://aspiespy.blogspot.com/