Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:26 pm

I'm not sure if this is due to my AS or the fact that I'm a 17 year old student with a pennant for what can only be described as epic gaming marathons. I find that I need hardly any sleep, I've been measuring and I need on average 4.6 hours of sleep a night leaving a lot of tim for being concious and...active. Any other aspies have this or even a weird sleeping schedule/body clock?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 4:29 pm

More than I got last night. :coffee:

I can survive on 7 but to really function I need between 8 and hours.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Dunnyveg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:39 pm

lilbuddah wrote:
I'm not sure if this is due to my AS or the fact that I'm a 17 year old student with a pennant for what can only be described as epic gaming marathons. I find that I need hardly any sleep, I've been measuring and I need on average 4.6 hours of sleep a night leaving a lot of tim for being concious and...active. Any other aspies have this or even a weird sleeping schedule/body clock?

For me it varies greatly. During the summer, I can't sleep over five or six hours a night. This time of year, I could sleep twelve hours a day if I let myself.

Don't short yourself on sleep; get what you need. I just read an article in Newsweek claiming that lack of sleep lowers IQ, and I can believe it. The Navy had a thing for working marathons where we'd have to work continuously for several days at a time. In war, something like this is undoubtedly necessary. But in peacetime, where there is no real danger, I started going downhill after about twelve hours of constant work.

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 4:45 pm

No, no. This isn't about me forcing myself to stay awake, I mentioned epic gaming marathons, I can down three bottles of mountain dew and stay awake(well...concious) for 40 hours. This is about my ability to go to sleep and wake up, fully rested, about 4-5 hours later. (and I never said I don't enjoy looooong lye ins during the winter.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:05 pm

I need 8 hours to function at 100%. I know one guy who only gets like 4 hours a night and claims to be perfectly fine, but honestly I see him constantly making all sorts of silly mistakes and forgetting to do things...I'm pretty sure the two aspects are directly related :P There have been tons of medical studies that show that getting less than 6-8 hours a night can have serious medical consequences, so while it could be true you are able to get 4hrs and be perfectly fine I find it highly unlikely (especially when you throw in epic gaming marathons and mountain dew haha).

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 5:46 pm

Well I drink the stuff as if it's water so I guess there could be like...residual caffeine in my bloodstream or something keeping me perky. But I did measure the time I sleep over the course of a week to get that average so beyond that I don't know what to say.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 5:52 pm

Sleeping hours is nothing to do with AS. I know an NT who only needs 4 to 5 hours sleep each night. Personally I don't know how he lives like that (plus he works full time), but everybody's an individual. I think the average for a young female adult is about 7 to 8 hours a night, and I need about 8 to 9 hours sleep a night.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:11 pm

Six or five. I'm what people call an active student.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 6:21 pm

5 or less hours - I can function, but not anywhere near efficiently. Usually, the next night, I'll get 10+ hours of sleep to make up for it.

6 hours - I can make it a whole day without caffeine or crashing. But I'll feel like total s***.

7 hours - I can make it for two days. Maybe 3 with coffee.

8 hours - Still not enough, but manageable. If I only get 8 hours of sleep for a whole week, I can still function at the end of the week.

9 hours - This is the amount of sleep that I naturally get. That is, if I have no sleep deficit and nothing wakes me up.

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

7 or 8 hours is usually sufficient. However I can sleep for 14 hours if I let myself.

ScottyN
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Jan 2012, 8:01 pm

I would say I need at least 10 hours of sleep per night.

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:11 pm

I'm not sure how much I need, but lately my schedules been something like 4 am to 2 or 3 pm, so that's near half the day gone by. Seems like no matter how much I sleep, though, I always feel sick whenever I wake up at a "normal" time, and am never too tired until very late at night.

Pooh_Bear
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 9:14 pm

I need at least 8 hours, preferably 10 hours each night.
Normally I sleep about 12 hours per night.
Depends mostly on how much stimuli I got that day
and how well I sleep on a particular night.

Pooh Bear

Catamount
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 9:23 pm

I remember learning somewhere along the way that sleep deficit is cumulative. In other words, the average adult needs 8 hours per night and if he/she gets 7 hours for a week, then they are almost a full night behind. I think this is bunk, but assuming it's true, I have esitimated for myself a cumulative sleep deficit of approximately 18 years. :? Seriously, it's scary how badly I sleep ... even with Melatonin supplements. :x

timewaster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Jan 2012, 9:29 pm

Varies. Physical fitness seems to reduce my need for sleep massively. I'm not very fit at the moment so im finding myself sleeping a lot. I think my emotional state also has a lot to do with it and whether or not im mid obsession.

ime1729
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jan 2012, 9:36 pm

I sleep as needed...

If I need extra time, I usually pull off a biphasic sleep cycle that brings me around 4-5 hours of sleep.
If there's really nothing to do I could sleep for 10 hours a night easily.