Page 1 of 5 [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2012, 3:06 am

Hi people, after discussing this with a number of people and getting generally positive feedback in this forum itself, I'm bringing this out on it's own.

A while back I began looking into symbols for Asperger's and found little out there, almost nothing really used, and what was there, had it's own issues.

So, one needed to be created. To start, it needed to be well-thought out. At the foundation, it needed to be both simple and have meaning.

What came to mind was something both geometric and natural, relating to logic or focus. Since, naturally, that is what we have in common. And, naturally, that is what I believe empowers us.

So, this came together:

Character: ✻

The "Teardrop-Spoked Asterisk", Unicode character U+273B, HTML code
Code: & #10043;

And, in having something for us, you have to think big: It could be in jewelry, on pins, as tattoos, even on dating sites, you name it. Not to mention, it's reaching to the stars, in a sense.

Now, to be clear, this isn't just any asterisk. As you see, it's a specific kind of asterisk. And, it's something we'll notice. We're all detail focused enough for recognize it.

The idea is for it is to cusp that edge of being common and unique. That way, WE all know what it is, but it really can't be appropriated, since it's already in the open. It's a way of being both proud (if we truly own it) and "hiding in plain sight". People who don't know, won't know THAT type of asterisk is an Asperger's Asterisk, but people who do, will. And, with this, we can maybe help each other out a bit more.

So, this simple symbol would be all of the below:

1) specific - an asterisk - otherwise it won't mean anything to enough people to work
2) distinct - a curved edge shaped (i.e. teardrop) asterisk, which really isn't used as a symbol anywhere - otherwise it won't be recognized by us
3) subtle - because it's just an asterisk, it wouldn't immediately mean anything to anyone - otherwise people will ask about it out of the blue.

And, it can't disappear, since an asterisk is on your phone, calculator, spreadsheet, and used in regular communication on a daily basis. Just like the button, we're part of daily life and here to stay.

So, thoughts? And, since I've heard good feedback, if you're good with it, would you guys start spreading the word?

I think it would be handy to have something like this for us to share, in such a simple, subtle and direct way, especially when we can't just know who each other are, just from a glance. :)

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 3:56 am

I like your idea! I think an AS symbol has once before been attempted, but I honestly don't know what came of it. A recognisable icon would be fun and an identifier for us. Of course, there's the autism puzzle piece thingy, which can be sort-of controversial for various reasons. Although Aspergers is autism, we could have our own unique symbol. I love the Wrong Planet's green alien!

****Asterisk....what about the colour? I do not know about marketing, etc. but that's yet another step, yes?

Sidmor
Raven
Raven

27 Oct 2012, 4:38 am

Shamelessly reposting my Aspergia flag design.

[img][800:549]http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/5637/aspergia7.jpg[/img]

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 4:49 am

I think that asterisk would look great as a black tattoo. 8)

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2012, 6:35 am

I like it a lot more than that colorful puzzle piece! Not sure whether it needs a specific color, though. Everyone should be able to wear it in their favourite color. If there were any accessoirs with it, I would wear them. Maybe you should go into business...

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

BanjoGirl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 6:50 am

I think it's great as this asterisk remembers me a lot of the Pink Panther asterisk. One of the chapters of that cartoon is about the asterisk and I think it's quite symbolic. Watch it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akj43UIAq8U[/youtube]

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Oct 2012, 8:06 am

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Love it! I guess I changed my mind about the color. My asterisk would have to be green. 8)

Some people will always stand out... no matter what the background color is.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 8:12 am

BanjoGirl wrote:
I think it's great as this asterisk remembers me a lot of the Pink Panther asterisk. One of the chapters of that cartoon is about the asterisk and I think it's quite symbolic. Watch it.

I wish the Pink Panther is an Aspie...... 8) Cool idea.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

27 Oct 2012, 10:22 am

Sidmor wrote:
Shamelessly reposting my Aspergia flag design.

Sidmor, I read yours before I even posted this and the problem is that it evokes too much "just a cog in the wheel" and "that guy's a tool" when you look at it. Those are literally the first two things that come to mind. There's absolutely nothing subtle about it, and it's right in your face. It doesn't come off as being natural. Too many negatives.

Also, I'm looking at something different, not really what you'd have on a flag, but maybe on a signature, or something smaller (although equally applicable).

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 8:41 am

I think it's worth pointing out that this particular symbol is specifically intended for Aspies to identify other Aspies, while being overlooked by others. As originally discussed in the aspergian underground network thread, it's meant to be a covert, "for those in the know" kind of symbol. As such, it would be complementary to the autism advocacy/awareness symbols (puzzle piece, anything with the word "autism", whatever), rather than replacing them.

For the same reason I don't think of colour as being part of the symbol. It would just be drawn in the same colour as whatever text or graphic it's part of, so as not to stand out too much.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 9:16 am

I think this subtly disguised icon is a momentous step. Do you know what I see? The Culture of Autism becoming more real. We need that icon. I don't mean for this to seem silly or contrived, but it's like the big 'X' on the X-Files; the symbol for those 'in the know' that they've found the right place.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 10:17 am

We are not the Illuminati ... we don't need any symbols.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 10:26 am

I like this.

I really really do.

And no, Fnord, we aren't the illuminati, and we don't *need* any symbols, but it's ok to want them and I think a lot of people do.
Including myself.

I mean, I have this issue with some people at my school. They have Asperger's, I have Asperger's, and we haven't contacted each other. It's just too awkward to go up and say, "I have Asperger's and I know you do too, so let's be friends, shall we?" By the way, it's not my own speculation; they DO have it.

Having something like this would have helped oh so much....

And I hate the puzzle piece. I'm not a puzzle. Neurotypicals can be puzzled about autism, but don't call autistics a puzzle. Hah!

Anyway.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 10:28 am

Oh, and I forgot to mention that it's a "stimmy" type of pattern, and that I unconsciously was tracing it with my mouse and stimming for a second.

It's good.

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2012, 11:40 am

Fnord wrote:

I've thought about this, and frankly, I agree.

JRR
Toucan
Toucan

28 Oct 2012, 1:51 pm

emimeni wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I've thought about this, and frankly, I agree.

So negative!

There are symbols for all sort of things people are proud of that are not a conspiracy, like gay rights, ADHD, bullying, religious tolerance, lupus, breast cancer, domestic violence, cystic fibrosis, parkinson's, you name it. It's the same concept.