Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPrm
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Jan 2014, 1:40 am

Hi everyone.

I know many of us have trouble with certain stronger foods due to sensory issues... mine manifests most strongly as a strong revulsion to Cheese. I also struggle a bit with really strong cream dressings (for example, if I have a Caesar salad with really strong dressing). Even if I enjoy the flavour itself, I begin to feel very overwhelmed by the strong sensations and my gag reflex will often kick in.

Just wondering what kind of food sensitivities other people have?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 1:45 am

I don't have that type of sensitivity, but eating a lot of cheese gives me a migraine.

As for other sensitivities, I hate it when there is spice in my food as it wrecks it for me. I don't know how people can enjoy having a burning sensation in their mouths while eating.. all it does is makes me feel congested while at the same time crying a little and having a runny nose. Even mild spice irritates my mouth, so I just avoid it. I doubt this is an actual sensory issue though, because what I've read basically tells me that for taste sensitivity you need intense irritation to the point that you are gagging/vomiting.

I don't really eat a great variety of foods. In my mind I want to, but I never have as I change my mind when I get around to it, or simply just don't like something nearly as much as what I normally eat.

Last edited by Norny on 26 Jan 2014, 1:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 1:49 am

sasperilla nauseates me. raw oysters and any kind of snails also unappetizing.

StuffedMarshmallow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Jan 2014, 2:08 am

I can't eat squash and yam easily. It hurts my stomach. Milk makes me gag but it doesn't hurt my stomach.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 2:14 am

I like to eat cheese if it has a mild scent (but only on a pizza or sometimes with pasta). The smell of mozzarella or a similar cheese is fine to me. Parmesan usually tastes good but the smell is nasty. Cheddar can go either way. I don't get too adventurous in the way of cheeses. If the smell is really bad I can't eat it.

I don't eat sandwiches or hamburgers, but seeing one with a slice of cheese on it makes it twice as unappealing to me. I also don't understand putting cheese on a breakfast biscuit. Yuck! Or cheese with eggs?? To me those textures just don't go together. Very, very rarely I like to eat the cheese that comes in one of those gift sets with crackers, it just has to have a very mild scent. But the texture of unmelted cheese tends to make me gag.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:18 am

MMmmmmm cheese. :D I love cheese, stinky cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, soft cheese, parmesan. :D

Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:36 am

Anything with multiple textures and tastes. So I don't really do burgers (5 different flavors and 5 different textures = nty) salads, tacos, and I typically don't try new foods. It's kind of a pain in the ass sometimes.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 3:41 am

TallyMan wrote:
MMmmmmm cheese. :D I love cheese, stinky cheese, blue cheese, cheddar cheese, soft cheese, parmesan. :D

XD, I wish there was a 'like' button for posts.

I really love some cheeses (particularly Greek Feta or melted Parmesan etc on pizza) but I can't really tolerate any that taste bitter or sour. The only cheese I can eat by itself for an extended period of time without feeling intoxicated is feta. I can't say that I've had this 'stinky' cheese nor have I even heard of it. >.>

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:06 am

To this day I still can't stand eating most cheeses in an unmelted state, though I really enjoy grated parmesan, and when they are melted cheddar and mozzarella are fantastic.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:24 am

ASPrm wrote:
Hi everyone.

I know many of us have trouble with certain stronger foods due to sensory issues... mine manifests most strongly as a strong revulsion to Cheese. I also struggle a bit with really strong cream dressings (for example, if I have a Caesar salad with really strong dressing). Even if I enjoy the flavour itself, I begin to feel very overwhelmed by the strong sensations and my gag reflex will often kick in.

hey I hate cheese! Enemy food number 1. I don't eat any kind of cheese or any food made with cheese, and I don't eat things that have touched cheese, and if for instance someone uses a knife to cut the cheese and then to cut the cake, I don't eat the cake.
Also hate creamy things or red topplings. If it's creamy or if it's red chances are I won't eat it.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:42 am

I like goats cheese. I also like goats milk.

I like my food quite plain usually so don't eat anything that is too spicy. The fact that I will eat a baked potato with nothing on it (not even butter) used to upset everybody.

Oh as a child I couldn't stand butter on my sandwiches and I still rarely eat sandwiches with spread or butter on to this day except for ham salad, I do like butter on a ham salad sandwich. I also like butter on crackers or on toast or on a slice of french baguette...just not on sandwiches or sliced bread or baked potato. The combination used to make me queasy.

I also hated the texture of mashed potato and blamange (sp?). The latter is not jelly and its not mousse, its an abomination.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:46 am

I used to hate strong cheese, especially Swiss cheese, and would definitely gag on it.
But somewhere along the line I kinda forced myself (for reasons unknown) to like stronger tasting foods.
Now I love Swiss cheese and sharp cheddar. Green olives is another one of those.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 4:49 am

bumble wrote:
blamange (sp?). The latter is not jelly and its not mousse, its an abomination.

:eew:

Blamange! That is the most disgusting creation ever. One of my early memories is of school lunch in infant school and I was forced to eat a blamange desert by the kitchen assistant. The texture was absolutely revolting. I heaved my guts up afterwards. I was only around 5 years old and I don't know why she forced me to eat it. :(

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 5:16 am

I remember adults trying to force me to eat certain things in hopes I would "get over it".
Eventually they gave up on that approach. As usual, I'm the one who had to teach/train myself along those lines.

NotaHero
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2014, 5:56 am

I love cheese, but I do have a problem with other smelly food so I can't eat egg (I'm find when it's mixed into things so it must be smell) and shell fish without gagging. Not great with some textures either.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 11:42 am

ASPrm wrote:
Hi everyone.

Check the ingredients of the foods that give you that reaction. They seem to be all related to fermentation of milk...so it could literally be the culture they use to make certain cheeses and/or is part of the cream dressings.