How did your family perceive Your autism?

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 10:08 am

What does your family think about autism and how does your family feel about it? How do they see it now,

Last edited by jenisautistic on 22 Jun 2015, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 10:09 am

They weren't too thrilled with it. They (especially my mother) dragged me from doctor to doctor seeking a diagnosis and "cure." They wanted to know why I couldn't say a word when I was four years old.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2015, 11:06 am

I told my mom after I got my official diagnosis (just recently). She was a bit skeptical at first, but as we talked about all my characteristics she started to understand. Its not worth telling the rest of my family :roll:.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 11:19 am

My family pretty much accepts it without too much comment; they've all known I was different my whole life, now they just know why. My mom almost seems proud of my diagnosis; every chance she gets, she tells people about her "autistic daughter." I suppose it's nice that she wants to spread awareness, but I sometimes wish she'd at least ask me if it was okay that she told people first.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 12:13 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
My family pretty much accepts it without too much comment; they've all known I was different my whole life, now they just know why. My mom almost seems proud of my diagnosis; every chance she gets, she tells people about her "autistic daughter." I suppose it's nice that she wants to spread awareness, but I sometimes wish she'd at least ask me if it was okay that she told people first.

I have this issue with my mom on occasion. We are adults and it s up to us who, if and when to disclose to.

They are accepting but at best they only have a partial understanding of it with the exception of my 2 autistic cousins.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 12:29 pm

Well I got diagnosed latter in life (about 2 years ago now?) tho all of the signs were there from the time I was a young kid to my teen years among the many guesses people had for me Autism was hinted a few times but again nobody really knew what "Autism" really was just the stereotypical kid with a helmet/rain man vision popped up. It wasn't until I started to research more about Aspergers/Autism Aspergers Vs Autism etc did I chose to get a formal diagnoses lo and behold I have it!

So,
My father was kinda relieved by it as we *finally* had an answer to why I did/do some of the things I do/did.
My brother was kinda ok with it he doesn't think it's the only thing wrong with me but agrees that that I have some form of it due to past & current issues I display(ed)

My aunts (my father's sisters) are both 'proud' that I got a diagnoses and hope that I can finally get the "right kind of help" nobody on my late mother's side really knows as I have yet to disclose it to them.

As for me....I am really relieved I have a name to what has been going on in my life and what I'm currently dealing with..My only wish is that I can find a real friend whom really understands what Autism is about & knows what I'm dealing with in life & is willing to work with me rather then pressure me into things I don't want/feel comfortable do(ing). Finally, Yes I wish I could get the right kinda help to help better my future and have some kinda security in place but it appears I'm pretty much on my own.

I'm thankful I've found this site because you guys have offered more help and advice then (NT) people I communicate with in person....I'm currently looking at an Aspergers support group in my community so that maybe just maybe I can get more advice on what to do in life and not feel so f'ing alone.

boredome
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 2:43 pm

I have no idea how they perceive my autism, since they never talk to me about that stuff.

Actually, I'm not entirely sure if they know I'm autistic. When I was diagnosed I was living with my aunt, and my parents are estranged from my aunt. Did they even hear about my (semi-)diagnosis?? I never thought about this..

Well if they are aware of this, they haven't altered their behavior in any way regarding it.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2015, 4:50 pm

When I told my mom about my diagnoses last year she just smiled and told me that my nephew also has Aspergers. I already knew that my other brother's daughter was HFA but no one had told me what my other brother's son had, now I know.

Surprisingly my mom tells me that she thinks that she might have Aspergers. I know women present differently than men so I think it's a possibility. I told her yesterday, when we were talking about the topic again, that if she had Aspergers then so does her brother as well as her dad since they are very similarly quite types.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 5:05 am

After diagnosis, my mom kinda tried to overdo it. (Inclusion, shadow teachers, etc...) But nothing serious or negative. Years after that, she realized I don't really need those sort of those things. She let me be recluse for a year or two. I recovered afterwards.
My dad, who has no idea what's going on for most of my lifetime for being in abroad, is a denier when he heard about my diagnosis. He treats me just fine, but he really has no idea at all.

As for my relatives, either they don't know or do not care. But what I know is I end up being patronized than being bashed. They don't bring it up. Not even my own NT sister. Not even my mom. And I'm satisfied with it.

From where I live, "special children" are perceived positively (or more forgiving towards them). Parents and the child itself isn't judged or shamed. Within the family, as much as possible, with or without disability, has a 'purpose'...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 11:21 am

I was diagnosed at age 50.

When I told my parents and siblings I was planning to get diagnosed, they asked, “Why do you want a label?” and “How will having a label help you?” After I was diagnosed, I told my parents and siblings. The response was about the same. Having a diagnosis meant nothing to them. To them, I was still “Rocket”, quirks and all. Since informing them of the diagnosis ~ 2 years ago, the topic has never come up again.

For my wife and kids, it’s a little bit different. Being an Aspie comes up in conversation occasionally. My kids think I am funny/odd/strange. My youngest often wonders if she is an Aspie as well (she definitely has certain characteristics). My wife oftentimes thinks some of my inclinations/behaviors are annoying. Again, to them, I am basically just “Rocket”.

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2015, 11:27 pm

Poorly. as they seek the wrong ways for help. They want me to change for their standards and doctor's standards, but I don't want to. I just want to be me.

My siblings don't think much about it. My sister dodges the subject and so does my brother. But they both agree as long as we don't hurt each other in a major way, it's okay.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 1:38 am

My parents are dead, so it doesn't matter to them. My brothers, on the other hand, pretty much told me to f!ck myself and die, with the exception of my youngest brother and his wife, who have a son and a daughter on the spectrum. Unfortunately, they're curebies, so I don't have much contact with them. As for my relatives, with the exception of 3 of them, I have no contact with them. Those 3 that I do speak to when I see them, live in various parts of the world. (1 lives outside of Gettysburg and works as a contractor at Ft. Detrick, one lives outside of Philadelphia and works as a scientist at Merck, and 1 is a missionary serving in Croatia.)

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 3:41 am

My mother said I was babyish and sick in the head. My father wanted her to take me to a psychiatrist but she said she didn't want to because they would think she was a bad mother.
My mother went to a psychiatrist herself and came home and told us that the psychiatrist said he thought that both I and my father were schizophrenic.
My father told me when I was a teenager that I should go to a finishing school. He told me the same thing when I was in my 50's but I had no idea why.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 9:41 am

Your father must think you're still a teenager :wink:

kamiyu910
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2015, 10:06 am

I try very hard to never take my family for granted. They're the ones who suggested I take the online tests to see if their guess was right. I think my brother was proud. And since then, we've been learning that it is much stronger in our family than previously thought, and that my parents are not "neurotypical" themselves. In fact, over the past few years, it seems that most of my dad's family members are not "neurotypical", the only ones that are obviously "neurotypical" have married in. (My mom's side has other things with the spectrum - schizophrenia, sociopathy, and narcissism.)
It's fascinating reading about ancestors and seeing very similar traits in them as well, even in the 19th century.

Proteus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2015, 10:24 am

My parents showed some initial interest right after I told them, but I don’t think they really comprehend it. I just “came out” as it were to my oldest brother last night. He said his mind was blown, but I don’t know why that would be the case since he also said he doesn’t really know what autism or Aspergers is. I gave him a tl;dr version and a quick snapshot of some of the daily difficulties I encounter doing normal, average things, like talking to him on the phone, for instance. He tried the “it’s all in your mind” gambit, but it didn’t upset me because I knew he was speaking from profound ignorance on this subject. I let him finish what he had to say and we moved on. I don’t expect it to come up much in conversation again.

My parents have a name for all my life long unusual behavior and my siblings don’t really care all that much. As for my extended family, I haven’t told any of them. There hasn’t been a compelling reason to. I’ve told a few friends. One, who is more like a sister to me than my biological sister, showed a great deal of interest in the subject. We had long conversations about it. The rest of my friends have all been vaguely supportive but have not really shown any desire to learn more. To most in my circle, Proteus is just Proteus. So long as I keep putting on my nice guy persona, I’m not sure they care all that much.