no 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
what? 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 46

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 5:17 pm

ummmm.....
I am going into this thread unresearched...but I have glimpsed here and in other aspie forums...something about aspies sometimes having funny ears...i have read where one woman described her AS sons as having notches making them sorta like elf ears....
I was wondering how common this was.
I described in another thread this thing i have near the opening of my left ear tht someone else said was an "ear tag"..
It is a funny little misshapen bump..actually more like two bumps...the the other person said that sometimes deaf people have them and they are a sign that perhaps the ear didn't form proberly in development...but lots of people who are perfectly normal have them too..(i am not deaf)

I was just wondering how common weird ear thingies really were among aspies.

Last edited by poopylungstuffing on 28 Apr 2007, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 5:19 pm

I think my ears stick out a bit.

Fraz_2006
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Apr 2007, 5:21 pm

I have always been told that my ears look normal, but I think they are slightly further back and that they stick out more slightly at the top, but maybe its just me being paranoid. :)

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 5:30 pm

That's weird. My ears are like that. I remember when I was about 3 I was very self conscious about my ears because I looked like a f*****g elf. I somewhat grew out of it although my ears do have a less conspicuous weird shape.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 5:35 pm

I had a wart on my ear when I was young if that means really.. anything. Lol.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 6:34 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I described in another thread this thing i have near the opening of my left ear tht someone else said was an "ear tag"..
It is a funny little misshapen bump..actually more like two bumps...the the other person said that sometimes deaf people have them and they are a sign that perhaps the ear didn't form proberly in development...but lots of people who are perfectly normal have them too..(i am not deaf)

Believe what you describe is known as a "skin tag"-my ex had a few on his neck. They're not zits or moles, nor large enough to appear as "growths".
Only thing odd about my ears is that I can wiggle them, when I shift my scalp muscles.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:48 pm

Fraz_2006 wrote:
I have always been told that my ears look normal, but I think they are slightly further back and that they stick out more slightly at the top, but maybe its just me being paranoid. :)

Apparently there is some cause of autism that can do THAT also. The ears are located a bit different, a bit larger, more square, and bend down more at the top. That isn't what poopylungstuffing has though. BTW if people noticed, and didn't know you, they might underestimate you, and treat you a bit worse, but there are a number of people here with that appearance that apparently do quite well. Nothing to be paranoid about.

BTW My ears MIGHT turn down a little bit more at the top but, in general, look normal. The ears are obviously close to the brain, and related in some ways, so it is logical that development of one might affect the other in some way. I would say there are at LEAST 3 types of autistic development sequences, and the one I just described here is only one. It happens enough that there is a tie, but I doubt even 20% of the people here fit that model.

Steve

dustindareawf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Apr 2007, 7:49 pm

My ears are just really small with a moderate case of tinnitus.

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:58 pm

My ears are shaped normally. I'm told they're smaller than average.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:04 pm

dustindareawf wrote:
My ears are just really small with a moderate case of tinnitus.

Yeah, a number of Aspies/auties have tinnitus. I do. I think most, myself included, get it because of hypersensitive hearing, and offensive abuse. HECK, I was in the restroom yesterday and some idiot dropped the seat on a toilette. THAT hurt my ears. The planes PA system hurts.

Steve

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:15 pm

I imagine if I didn't blow my eardrums out via loud music I'd have much more sensitive hearing. I always thought that this was one of the things that didn't bother me so much but now that I think about it it does actually and I do get tinnitus. It depends on how connected I am to the environment around me but yes, I do get aggravated by small noises like how people chew their food, the sound of the TV being on 'line' but not off, sometimes things like lawnmowers and such will bother me too. Hm.

Also.. now that I am thinking about it also, when I was younger I would pick up strange noises too.

My sense of smell is also pretty hypersensitive.

RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:17 pm

My right ear is less sensitive because I did somethign to it. I don';t know what yet.

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:28 pm

I am prone to getting "swimmer's ear," ear infections as a result of water getting into my ears when swimming in a pool.

I had a problem with earwax a couple of years ago. It plugged my ear and kept me from hearing well.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:31 pm

I was born with an extra bit of skin on the side of my ear!

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:32 pm

I wish I had cat ears.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:37 pm

My one ear sticks out and is slightly lower than the other which causes my glasses to be slightly uneven.