Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NoName93
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Nov 2016, 11:29 am

Recently I discover that my favorite activity are video games. I found out this when I was a little since the age of 2 I started to play commander keen and duke nukem (all episodes) and I completed them in 1 hour after that at the age of 7 I played a lot of other games like need for speed some other games of knowledge etc at the age 10-12 I started to play prince of persia and super mario. I was obsessed with video games and I didn't wanted to do other things my parents took me in other activities like karate,piano,drawing in order to become more social and I didn't want anything I only wanted to be at home and play video games. At puberty I stopped to play video games because I consider myself big enough for video games and I wasn't myself. Recently I remember that in my childhood I loved video games and I decided to play the games who played in my childhood and I played them with the same obsession and I understand that this is the thing I love more. I study information technology and I want to become programmer for video games. Do you have similar experience? what is/was your obsession? Do/did you avoid other activities except your special interesting?

Sorry about my english

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 9:54 am

Germany
WWII
The Holocaust
The Kinks
The Olympics
The Internet
London

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 11:41 am

Cricket
Football
Words
My body - I am forever calorie counting and always worry I will pile on the pounds

But with the exception of words, all my obsessions/interests are utterly useless in the real world. I blame my father for my interest in sports; I cannot honestly understand why I follow them.

XeroFur
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2016, 11:47 am

My obsessions are:

- Punk Rock/Hardcore
- Minor Threat
- Black Flag
- Straight Edge
----------------------------
My old obsessions were:

- Alternative Metal
- Deftones

When I was younger, I would always try to make something be related to my obsession, whether it'd be pretending, or just adding it in.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 1:45 pm

meerkats and veterinary medicine (specifically becoming a veterinarian myself)

When I was a kid, I only would do things related to my special interests. Different things at the time but always animal related. Meerkats have been my special interest since I was fourteen years old. I always wanted to be a vet but as a kid I let my mom brainwash me I couldn't be one and really just seemed opposed to the idea. I would hear her talking about me to other people and saying she wanted to find things for me to do or find me a "mentor" but when I asked her if she would simply talk to the local veterinarian about letting me come in and shadow or volunteer she always said no.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 8:44 pm

The physical sciences have been my main obsessions throughout my life. I did dabble a bit into the biological sciences when I was younger, but that was not necessarily a good thing (ie. what I was after). Certain history topics also tend to be a focal point that I can be obsessive with. I used to take additional world history classes for fun while I was an undergrad. It used to tick off the history majors because I would blow their exam curves without studying the topics that they worked so hard on and that I was a science major to boot (I did pick up a history minor with these classes). Back then, the highest grade on the exam would set the curve, rather than the usual 90/80/70/60 split. I averaged around 110-120% (ie almost all of the regular points, plus most of the bonus points) on history exams, where the normal average would have been 90% or less. For some reason, history facts are something that I just tend to absorb without much effort. It may go back to when I started coin/banknote collecting at a very early age. I would spend hours and hours researching about every little detail on the items that I acquired and wandered who might have held them when they were new. Lesson to be learned: Never get me started on a conversation of pre-civil war US currency unless you have a lot of spare time on your hands.

morimori
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Nov 2016, 10:27 pm

As a child my obsessions were:
Supernatural phenomena, my pets, specific video games

As a teenager my obsessions were:
Specific video games (different games than prior), zombies, supernatural phenomena,

As a young adult my obsessions were:
Furries, otherkin, and the vampire subculture

Now they're:
Plants/fungi, video games (the same video games from my teenage years), and finding out the real causes of supernatural phenomena

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm

I alternate between interests in autism, internet forums, and Choose Your Own Adventure-type books.

dendrite
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2016, 1:07 am

Right now? At this moment?

Germany
Russia
History
Nick Cave

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 2:38 am

Well, I'm insulin dependent, so staying on top of that is a valuable obsession
Then there's gaming: a little money sink called magic rush is the longest lasting one of those in a few years. It delights me that hundreds of people around the globe battle it out in this thing and there'Ve been times when hundreds of them played out my strategies.
Computers and their software have been an obsession since I built my first logic circuits with a soldering iron back in the sixties. No integrated circuits back then. Still my source of income but retirement draws ever closer.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2016, 3:00 am

This what I'm doing right now and every day. I'm the one in red, the mighty Ezrador!

iCANTthinkOFaNAME
Raven
Raven

13 Nov 2016, 2:18 pm

Airplanes! I love airplanes! Only passenger ones, though. Did you know, the Boeing 767 sucks in enough air through its engines to fill a Good Year Blimp in 7 seconds!

missing_advert
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2016, 3:10 am

Mine would have to be Plants and gardening. Particularly Food Plants, both cultivated and wild. And Volkswagen Kombi (or Volkswagen Bus for our American friends). For me there is nothing more exciting than coming across a new plant I have never seen before :D

liveandrew
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2016, 3:42 am

Currently, I'm into British punk in the 80s (I first got into punk in '78) and am reading Ian Glasper's four-book history.

Over the years: horror and exploitation cinema (I have nearly a full set of the 72 British video nasties), free-diving, archery, hunting, climbing, camping, bushcraft, foraging, film reviews, AS, multiple sclerosis, bicycle building.

Music: punk, hardcore, post-rock, jazz, opera, folk, sunn o))) and other drone music, the Southern Lord record label, Miles Davis, Kate Rusby. I guess my oldest special interest would be Alice Cooper who I've been into since '72 when I was 5.

Collecting over the years: CDs, DVDs and Blu-Rays, records, bottle tops, beer mats, rocks, stamps, wooden boxes, climbing and outdoor gear, vintage Mickey Spillane books, hardback books, computer manuals and my oldest... car registration numbers!

I still go back to my old special interests a fair bit.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 46 of 200

Listener of all things noisy, viewer of all things bloody, writer of all things sh*t.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 1:52 pm

My biggest special interest has been Doctor Who for the past three (almost four) years. I also am really interested in Glee, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Star Wars, Star Trek, and several animes. My special interests are almost always television or pop culture related.

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2016, 2:10 pm

TheSilentOne wrote:
My biggest special interest has been Doctor Who for the past three (almost four) years. I also am really interested in Glee, The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, Star Wars, Star Trek, and several animes. My special interests are almost always television or pop culture related.

Are you hoping to have a career in film or television then? It's something I've considered. In college I won a competition to make a Doctor Who/SJA online game at the BBC, it was awesome. All the major shows had their own office and the Doctor Who one had a TARDIS (locked :cry: ), and antique cabinets and cloches with cybermen's hands, auton faces etc. in them. I sat in Stephen Moffat's armchair :D

Edit:

Oh and my special interests are art, ballet, literature (mainly Gothic, Romantic, 1920s), folklore, Expressionist cinema, certain specific books/tv shows/films. Plus others which come and go (knitting and programming at the moment).