Do you have comfort objects or places?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 1:59 am

Do you have objects that comfort you, like maybe a stuffed animal or blanket, or even a favorite mug? Or comfort places, whether within your house like a favorite armchair or outside under a tree or by a lake?

I really wish I did, but I find that inanimate objects don't bring me comfort because I am too aware that they are not aware and are not there for me in any way, regardless of their pleasing shape or appearance.

On the other hand, when I am at my therapist's office and I'm talking about something that distresses me, I focus very intently on something visual, like the patterns on the rug and I remember them clearly. Like I'm grasping for comfort from them.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 4:55 am

Anything that has to do with Germany can be a comfort object for me. I've accumulated quite a few Germany things over the past 8 years. There's a Starbucks Germany mug that I bring to the flea market every Sunday that I drink out of.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 5:07 am

This may sound strange, but,A well-decorated toilet. I don't need to worry about being disturbed or having diarrhea.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 5:46 am

^Having a good experience on the toilet is underrated. But what do you mean decorated? You mean the whole room, not just the toilet?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2024, 6:01 am

Not really.
More like... A "north" of sorts.

It can be a literal person, a reference point, a utility, certain foods, and yes, an object...
Or a concept to go back to basics to.

I can always set another whenever I went to somewhere new. And it does not have to be one, it can be multiple.

As long as I have the memory to retain that one thing...

Even moments of asking myself the question of 'How long is a moment?'
And attempting to observe and 'answer' the 'question' that it's very concept does me wonders.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 2:02 am

bee33 wrote:
^Having a good experience on the toilet is underrated. But what do you mean decorated? You mean the whole room, not just the toilet?

The toilet is one of the few places where I can be alone in the student dormitory, and a clean, bright and odor-free toilet is rare.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2024, 10:56 am

I don't consciously know of many comfort objects or places, but I think they exist. If videos count as objects, there seems no logical reason why I keep watching TV shows and movies when it's so rare that I enjoy them (they move too fast and have too many characters, and even when I can follow the plot I usually get a "so what?" feeling about the whole show. So I guess it's something to do with the comforting ritual of the thing. There are probably many things like that going on.

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 2:43 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I don't consciously know of many comfort objects or places, but I think they exist. If videos count as objects, there seems no logical reason why I keep watching TV shows and movies when it's so rare that I enjoy them (they move too fast and have too many characters, and even when I can follow the plot I usually get a "so what?" feeling about the whole show. So I guess it's something to do with the comforting ritual of the thing. There are probably many things like that going on.
I watch TV shows constantly, partly because I live alone and don't like being alone in silence. I feel the same way about them. I often only half pay attention and don't really care about the plot. I also rarely find characters that I think are relatable. But I do think they provide me with comfort.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 2:57 pm

The cats, but pizza tends to comfort me too. :lol:

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2024, 4:18 pm

^Those cats are adorable. And the pizza too... :) I'm gluten free so I haven't had pizza in a long time and it looks really good. (Gluten free pizza is a thing but it's not the best.)

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2024, 3:12 am

Music comforter me, watching old TV shows, playing games & my cat.

arjen37
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Sep 2024, 3:03 pm

When I was married a long time ago my computer room was my favorite spot. I know now that it was a way of de-stimulate myself staying the whole evening in that room doing nothing usefull. This was before I got my diagnosis.

Since the Corona area I live in my bedroom. My bed is my comfort place.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 10:13 am

belijojo wrote:
bee33 wrote:

The toilet is one of the few places where I can be alone in the student dormitory, and a clean, bright and odor-free toilet is rare.

Do you have Western style toilets there? I can't imagine relaxing for very long while squatting.

belijojo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 12:11 pm

^Asian genes allow me to squat for a long time.

pokeystinker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2024, 6:42 pm

bee33 wrote:
Do you have objects that comfort you, like maybe a stuffed animal or blanket, or even a favorite mug? Or comfort places, whether within your house like a favorite armchair or outside under a tree or by a lake?

I really wish I did, but I find that inanimate objects don't bring me comfort because I am too aware that they are not aware and are not there for me in any way, regardless of their pleasing shape or appearance.

On the other hand, when I am at my therapist's office and I'm talking about something that distresses me, I focus very intently on something visual, like the patterns on the rug and I remember them clearly. Like I'm grasping for comfort from them.

Yes, but they're not enough to deal with the overwhelming bleakness of this wretched existence.

(GENESIS)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 7:51 pm

pokeystinker wrote:
bee33 wrote:

Yes, but they're not enough to deal with the overwhelming bleakness of this wretched existence.

I know how you feel. I'm sorry that you're feeling so poorly. I've been there. I don't like it when people say things will pass, but sometimes they do.