do you have high or low self-esteem?
high self-esteem 29%  29%  [ 12 ]
low self-esteem 71%  71%  [ 30 ]
Total votes : 42

Mw99
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 8:53 pm

I used to have extremely high self-esteem, but then as I grew up I became marginally more intelligent and realized how pathetic I am. If back then I thought it was possible I was gifted, now I think I'll be lucky if I have an average level IQ... If back then I thought only losers earned middle class salaries, now I consider myself fortunate to earn slightly less than the average middle class salary... If back then I thought I had a bright future ahead of me, now I pray I don't end up homeless or unemployed.

Wise & unhappy vs. dumb & happy? If I could choose I'd go for the latter. Why? Because what's the point of having all these "great insights" about human psychology and society if noone cares?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 9:54 pm

I think I usually have a high self esteem.

I think MOST aspies consider themselves at least gifted earlier, and later think they are dumber. In some ways, they're right. BTW that describes ME also, so don't consider it an insult. Oh well, my IQ is STILL above average, and I think I do well with it. HEY, I ***ASPIRED*** to a middle class salary. I don't even tell you what I wanted to make! Today, I make about 4 times that. That STILL doesn't seem like enough. I always thought I had a bright future ahead of me. NOW, it isn't quite so bright. 8-( I WON'T pray! It doesn't help! As for being homeless, etc... that could happen at ANY moment! I have ridden through about 5 bad situations. I have NEVER been homeless, and rarely even hungry. But I KNOW I will have my career ONLY as long as I have the temperment, ethics, reputation, intelligence to pull it off. If even ONE gets tarnished, the whole thing could disappear.

So put things in perspective.

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 9:57 pm

I said high cause I always think too highly of myself.

Likho
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2007, 10:12 pm

If i hate myself and think that everyone are much worse than me is it bad self eesteem or good self esteem? :x

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 10:41 pm

Likho wrote:
If i hate myself and think that everyone are much worse than me is it bad self eesteem or good self esteem? :x

You have a point! I'm not THAT happy with myself, but I am APPALLED by how STUPID some people are! It makes me afraid to do ANYTHING.

Dunwich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Nov 2007, 10:51 pm

I think I have low self-esteem but extreme arrogance at the same time. That make sense to anyone else?

and that is beautiful.

-TMBG

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:06 pm

I feel the same way, but I still voted high.

EvilKimEvil
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:23 pm

I had low self-esteem until I stopped spending so much time around hostile NTs.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:29 pm

I have both. As odd as that may sound. I have much higher self-esteem since-- you guessed it-- I upped my dosage of my antidepressant. Ana and her Antidepressants; I know, you're getting tired of hearing about it! :D

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2007, 11:31 pm

Ana54 wrote:
I have both. As odd as that may sound.

Apparently, its not so odd here.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 12:50 am

I have a low self-esteem. Sure, I may be gifted intellectually, but so what? Intelligence isn't highly valued in the modern society. Also, I have poor social skills and a hideously ugly face. Those things are what the society looks at the most, and considering the ones I got, it's just sad.

HolyDiver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Nov 2007, 12:50 am

i can go either way.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 1:04 am

I think the esteem concept is fundamentally flawed. Its not esteem that achieves things, its effort and talent.

Schools work to build up your esteem so you can achieve? BS. that just gets you focused on esteem. Make efforts to achieve, learn skills that help you produce, and when you get there, you have esteem. Its the finished product, not a damn stepping stool with endless steps to the top.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 1:22 am

My self-esteem is deplorable. There is a little voice inside my head constantly telling me that I am ret*d...no matter what i do.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

02 Nov 2007, 1:33 am

I have low self esteem.

I guess being told that I am wothless and stupid for 16 years of my life really impacted how I feel about myself.

joku_muko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 1:34 am

L