Aspies in danger? Anything leading up to a holocaust?

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2007, 10:55 pm

Things to keep an eye on:

1. parents aborting their kids because they are autistic
2. parents talking about putting their kids out of their misery
3. autistic people in asylums for no good reason
4. autistic people on drugs for no good reason
5. the word "autistic" used with generalized disdain

Add to the list!

03 Nov 2007, 2:07 am

How can doctors tell a fetus has autism? :?

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

03 Nov 2007, 2:19 am

likedcalico wrote:
How can doctors tell a fetus has autism? :?

The same way they can tell if they have Downs, someday.

5. CAN starts asking for Charity Money to 'Cleanse the Plague'

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

03 Nov 2007, 2:32 am

We look the same as normal people. People with Down syndrome look different, same as other people with outside birth defects.

6. Can start getting rid of us by putting us up for an adoption

Kalister1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 2:33 am

:x

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:11 am

I'd rather be adopted out than raised by parents who didn't want me because I wasn't the perfect child that they'd been hoping for.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

username88
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 3:17 am

Who_Am_I wrote:
I'd rather be adopted out than raised by parents who didn't want me because I wasn't the perfect child that they'd been hoping for.
I was adopted, and believe me, it doesnt make a single difference in the world.
Also, (as I have seen), it seems 90 percent of the people on the autistic spectrum has some sort of facial difference in comparrison to NTs. Its like an identification of some sort.

Zwerfbeertje
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2007, 5:19 am

You can dx an aspie by looking at their face?

agmoie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Nov 2007, 6:19 am

I find it amazing that people can prescribe/take drugs `for` Aspergers,a normal natural human neurological variation.Quit with the drugs! as that guy in Goodfellas said!

Yog-Sothoth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 6:29 am

Well I am pretty much 100% certain none of this will ever happen, but if it does, I'll just be glad I was never diagnosed.

Last edited by Yog-Sothoth on 03 Nov 2007, 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 9:40 am

This is silly. The problem with diagnosing ASD's is that it has to be derived from behavior. Down's syndrome is easily recognizable due to the presence of a third 21st chromosome (Trisomy 21), ASD's cannot be detected in this same manner. It's only recognized in infancy or childhood (often times even later) from observing behavior, not genetic recognition. Also, on the mild end of the spectrum, the diagnosis is often blurry as it is, psychologists still debate whether someone is truly "mildly Aspergian" or simply an introverted intellectual with intense interests; many of the people here aren't even sure if they have it or not. Also, people with ASD's aren't on drugs because they're autistic, it's because of comorbidities like depression or anxiety.

serenity
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:12 am

I wish that I could say that it's ridiculous, but they're working on genetic testing for fetuses. It may never happen, but then again, it could. I would've never believed it myself until I saw this video:
[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=VGXWE_htsqE[/youtube]

MadyGirl1987
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Nov 2007, 10:40 am

I think it is sad that people feel that just because you have a disability(for lack of a better term), physical or mental, that life isn't worth living. I am going to be a history teacher, and we had to take a class on special education as part of the course of study my school has to get the degree. We had a section on Euthanasia, and learned that something like 90% of babies with Downs Syndrome DXed before birth are aborted. Just because they are DXed at the wrong time they never live. I think that is criminal. Who is fit to say who should live and who should die? Nevertheless, I do not see any campaign to KILL people with Autism. You can't, at least now, know if a child is autistic before birth, and people will notice if kids suddenly start disappering. I do think that there is a definate stigma to autism and that, while seeing the point of helping those with severe forms function better, there is no need for a magic "cure" and it is not a death sentence. Treating it as such leads to the perceived "worthlessness" of those with autism and such programs like the Holocast.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 10:59 am

Phagocyte wrote:
This is silly. The problem with diagnosing ASD's is that it has to be derived from behavior. Down's syndrome is easily recognizable due to the presence of a third 21st chromosome (Trisomy 21), ASD's cannot be detected in this same manner. It's only recognized in infancy or childhood (often times even later) from observing behavior, not genetic recognition. Also, on the mild end of the spectrum, the diagnosis is often blurry as it is, psychologists still debate whether someone is truly "mildly Aspergian" or simply an introverted intellectual with intense interests; many of the people here aren't even sure if they have it or not. Also, people with ASD's aren't on drugs because they're autistic, it's because of comorbidities like depression or anxiety.

not all is true comorbid-some drugs help with sensory and speech impairment,others help with meltdowns.

the whole cure/removal of autism debate is focussed more on lower functioning auties with complex needs and challenging behavior,where limited funding is involved,cannot see them spending it on removing the more independant less affected auties and aspies-it'll be the lf kanner types whom need more support [and money] than most.

if some people had their way,they would get rid of anything that makes a brain different from NT, because they want everything to be 'perfect',when really,the word cannot exist within people because no one is perfect,therefor difference should be tolerated.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2007, 11:08 am

Phagocyte wrote:

There WAS a time when downs, or even SEX, had to wait until the person was BORN! ASDs obviously have a genetic component, and it COULD conceivably be detected by a simple blood test. You can laugh at that, but they laughed at MANY such things even a few decades ago.

alegziz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Nov 2007, 11:25 am

1. I heard an NPR article about Israel where they've developed a blood test for a relatively common disease, where they can only tell that a kid will have it, not how severe it will be; there's been a rash of abortions by parents who don't want to deal with what may or may not just be a minor problem.

2. Haven't heard of this one happening.

3. Yes, but people with other disorders or no disorder who aren't good enough at convincing other people nothing is wrong get put in institutions for no good reason, too. One of my best friends, who is NT to the best of my knowledge, had that happen because his mother.. well, she's pretty well insane, but good at convincing the social workers that it isn't her that's the problem.

4. again, the drugs happen to other people too, not just autistic people. Perhaps a sign to be concerned about, and probably more prevalent for people on the spectrum, but I wouldn't panic.

5. Yeah, but the word.. I don't know.. "fat" is used with generalized disdain, too. As, in some schools/neighborhoods/cultures, is "smart." Be concerned, but not too concerned.

And, you know, in three or four years, if you'll just start that commune and let my sister and her family in, I'll have the money to help support it...