No, I have the dancing skills of a dead armadillo 50%  50%  [ 76 ]
I think I'm good at dancing, but everyone else thinks otherwise 5%  5%  [ 7 ]
What's dancing? 14%  14%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 151

GoatOnFire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:24 am

I can't dance at all, and I have a feeling that I'm not the only aspie like that. It doesn't seem like an aspie thing.

I ask because a few weeks ago I actually went out with a group to a club. I didn't realize it was a dance club. :x I thought everything was going to be okay because I wasn't the only guy there who didn't want to dance so I tried to stay seated on the couches there with those guys to avoid dancing. However, the hottest girl in the club came over and tried to drag me on to the dance floor. What could I do? I decided to be brave and go out there. Big mistake, as I said I can't dance at all and I made a total arse out of myself. :oops:

So I wonder, is it possible for aspies to be good dancers at all?

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:31 am

My dancing skills are not quite as good as those of a dead armadillo.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

08 Feb 2008, 2:32 am

I don't think it has much to do with being an Aspie. In my youth, I loved to dance. I would improvise steps according to how the music moved me. It was, however, hard for a partner to follow my steps, because I was in my own little world, and not able to do non-verbal communicating. I realized that this took place between partners while dancing, after a guy complained that he couldn't follow my steps. I especially liked putting on music at home and dancing to it.

I think some people can relate to music with their bodies, and some cannot.

princesseli
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 2:34 am

I'd say like for anyone, it depends on the person. As for club dancing, I can dance pretty good but thats probably because I took several years of dance. On a skilled level, I kinda suck, there were certain flaws in my posture which the dance teacher told me about. Idk.

dirtyfeet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Feb 2008, 2:34 am

i took a modern dance class.. it was terribly embarassing, but i did it anyways. after 3 months of still tripping over myself and not being able to remember the steps, i dropped out. :oops:

peebo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:08 am

i strictly only dance when drunk...

?Civil government, so far as it is instituted for the security of property, is in reality instituted for the defense of the rich against the poor, or of those who have some property against those who have none at all.?

Adam Smith

googlewhack
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2008, 3:31 am

I absolutely hate dancing! My worst nightmare was at uni when my friends were determined we had to go somewhere they could dance when all I wanted to do was sit in a corner and listen to everyone talk.

I went to a south american bar in France a couple of years ago, and this really nice shy Brazillian guy who couldn't speak English tried to teach me samba and I was so bad it was totally embarrassing and I kept standing on his feet and tripping over, and then this other girl went up and picked it up instantly. :oops:

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:40 am

I recommend raves. Not the best dancer? God-awful social skills? Weird fashion sense? On top of that, are you completely insane? If you answered yes to these questions, you'll fit right in. :wink:

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

08 Feb 2008, 3:46 am

Well...I can dance. Just not very well! Infact, I have given up on trying.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 3:59 am

Whats dancing? I like to do things that I excel at, or, am at least of average ability. If I were to take up dancing, I would have to take classes or training, until I was convinced that I was a good dancer. Dancing is too big of a commitment for someone who can't stand to go places where people dance anyhow. Thumbs down for now.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 4:06 am

My definition of "dance" is a lot different than most peoples.. Basically self expression.. As opposed to the kind of predictable stuff you would see on mtv or whatever.. So yes Id say Im good at expressing myself this way, which isnt quite understandable by the general population.. But the point is that it doesnt matter.

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

08 Feb 2008, 4:27 am

I danced classical ballet for 12 years and won several awards. So, yes. However, I couldn't go to a club and dance.

Purplefluffychainsaw
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Feb 2008, 4:46 am

I think dancing is just a matter of teaching yourself and practise. If you spend enough time working out how to move to the music then eventually you'll be able to do it easier.

I did ballet for a while when I was a kid, but got kicked out of the class for being unruly. >> But I've also been in three or four musicals and wasn't the worst dancer there. My little sister, who's undiagnosed but almost deffinatly has some form of autistic spectrum disorder, is a good dancer. I would say it's just a matter of being able to get the rhythm right.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2008, 4:55 am

I can dance with swords (Kenjutsu); I don't see why someone with AS couldn't learn to dance any dance if they're dedicated. The motor deficits in AS are relatively mild compared to other neurological disorders (if they're even there to begin with); they can manifest in a variety of ways too, footwork and coordination may be completely unaffected, but fine motor movements may be affected (there's various iterations in other words).

Kirov
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Feb 2008, 4:59 am

I took ballroom dancing for gym class. Three men, 27 women. Sea of estrogen and I had to waltz. :]

Whisperer
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Feb 2008, 5:05 am

For what people do in clubs. . . I can pass off as normal. . . provided I don't find the music intolerable. I have a tendency to be over the top but that has kinda decreased since puberty.
I'm missing the option for "not good but not bad either".

I once accidentally slapped a girl's drink off her hand. :lol: . . .but it's ok, she was already done with that and we were all part of a big group hanging out together.