Do you hate cutting your finger or toe nails?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

venuseagle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Apr 2008, 4:16 pm

I have a huge problem cutting my toe nails. I absolutely dread cutting them days beforehand. I find my toes are very sensitive around the nail part. I have to hold my breath when I cut them because I can't stand it. Also my 3 year old son who has HFA finds it very difficult to tolerate having his finger nails and toe nails cut. How about you?

And if you do find this difficult have you developed any coping mechanisms?

Venus

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:21 pm

i bite my fingernails, but I don't mind cutting them when I have to (usually has something to do with having my left-hand nails short to play the ukulele...They gnerally stay pretty stubby though...

my toenails never seem to grow long enough that it is an issue...but I don't really have any negative sensory issues with cutting them.

I do NOT, however, enjoy trimming dogs' nails...That is pretty traumatizing for me... :?

Mum2ASDboy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:34 pm

Damen sure hates it!! !! ! He has even complained of it hurting when I have cut his fingernails!
He now bites his fingernails which I was annoyed at but at least he is in control of that and it is much nicer for him. He needs MAJOR disctraction when I cut his toe nails and warning and a countdown like 1 done 4 to go.
When he was non-verbal he used to really scream and get extremely upset when his nails were being cut. I even had my Dad come out and ask "what is wrong?"
I have now learnt that it can actually hurt ASD people when nails are being cut, wish I had known that a couple of years ago.

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:50 pm

It's something I often forget to do, especially on my feet. I'm getting better lately, but personal hygiene in general is something I usually forget about.

Edit: I'm not dirty ! :wink:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:53 pm

I never cut mine. I just let them come off when they're ready. :)

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 4:57 pm

Yes!
am get them cut in a SN clinic,home staff restrain am in the chair.
the feel of having nails cut sets of shockwaves throughout whole body in am.
the good part about getting them cut in a clinic is the blades that are used are like the ones that branches are cut with,really good,go through them quicker.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

woodsman25
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 5:16 pm

Does not bother me at all, but I also MUST have sharp clippers and will buy a pair every couple years to enshure they are sharp.

I used to bite my nails but actually chipped 2 teeth doing so so I stopped that habbit.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 5:46 pm

From childhood onward I bit/chewed my nails (fingers & toes), up 'til about 5 yrs. ago when my teeth fell apart (for reasons of neglect). I still chew the cuticles/skin at sides of my fingers.

Anyway, now I cut them with nail clippers, which doesn't hurt. Awful part for me is the filing. Ugh ! Makes me feel so nauseous, the friction of trying to get edges of nails smooth & even. Just contemplating the prospect gives me the shivers, and not in a good way. If I don't file them, they're rough & sharp-so either way ("to file or not to file"), I'm uncomfortable. Aargh.

Redrocket
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2008, 7:33 pm

I don't have any problems with cutting my fingernails. It's the toe nails that are a pain! I usually don't cut them too often until they get long. It's annoying to cut them because they're tough and it gets annoying to either bend or lift your feet up to do it.

When I was younger my parents use to cut my nails, especially my toe nails.

Greentea
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 10:22 pm

Yes! I've had this forever. Makes me cringe. I delay cutting my toe nails as much as possible. Finger nails: I file them, never clip them.

TheLadyMary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2008, 10:28 pm

Hate it? Yes.

Obsessively cut them anyway? You bet!

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2008, 10:32 pm

I remember crying when I was younger about this issue. I was so afraid she would cut them too short and they would hurt. This was a problem then, but now I just bite them. Same with my toenails. :oops:

matt
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:26 pm

I hate cutting my fingernais and toenails.

I put my hands or feet in semi-hot or hot water for a few minutes before, or cut my nails after bathing. That makes the nails much easier to cut without hurting myself.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm

Wow, I must be a weirdo, because I LOVE cutting my toenails! My favorite thing about it is seeing how big the clippings can get.

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

06 Apr 2008, 5:38 am

When I was younger I never used to hate getting them cut, I just never used to be able to do it as would always cut my skin and it hurt! My mother cut my finger/toe nails for me until I was about 12.
I used to collect the clippings, though, so I was always looking foward to getting them cut so I could add to my collection. :lol:

mikebw
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:08 am

Clipping my fingernails doesn't bother me, unless I get an ingrown from clipping...ingrown may be the wrong word or term. I tend to put off clipping my nails until they get annoyingly long though.

I hate clipping my toenails because they are hard to clip myself. I also only clip them when they get annoying.

http://www.imdb.com/user/ur3140151/ratings = My Movie Vote History