Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:21 pm

When I was a child , my parents told me , I would wear just one pair of shoes (for normal use) at a time , I'd ignore other ones , so , they would just leave me one out there .
Anyone else ?
We were fairly well off ! !! !!

xyzyxx
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:25 pm

I have never understood the need to own more than one pair of shoes.

I mean, the only reason we own more than one pair of socks, is because these need to be washed after you wear them. You don't wash shoes. You just wear them again the next day.

Microban
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2008, 11:30 pm

I suppose the fashionable among us require more than one pair.
I don't really understand why either, though.

cas
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2008, 11:37 pm

I have a lot of shoes because I like the way they look, but I wear one pair until they break or I lose them and then I get another pair like them to wear. It wasn't the same way when I was in school because I had a pair of shoes for PE that I also wore.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 11:43 pm

It's embarrassing to admit but I will wear one pair of shoes until they're faling off my feet. I'd like to buy several pairs of shoes but I would just change my mood and would want to wear the other pair of shoes out. Then I'd go back to the old shoes.

It's also embarrassing to admit that I also wear and keep washing a single shirt or a single pair of pants until they're tattered and falling off of me.

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2008, 11:50 pm

I just wear Converse Chuck Taylor's. They're my exercise shoes even, because I do powerlifting. I probably use three pairs per year. However, I run sometimes, so I have running shoes too.

Dweefle
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2008, 11:53 pm

I find it impractical to change pairs of shoes. They don't need to be washed in between wearings,

newg
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Apr 2008, 11:55 pm

I have a pair of dress shoes for work, other things where i need to look smart.

And a pair of trainers (sneakers for you Americans) that i wear in day-to-day stuff with jeans etc.

why would I need more until those ones break?

RainKing
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Apr 2008, 12:03 am

I think that most guys don't wear different shoes. If one of my friends was wearing different shoes each day, I'd point it out as being unusual. I'd guess a practical reason would be if they get smelly so you want to air them out.

Girls who are the dressy type might have lots of different shoes, so they can match them with their different outfits.

06 Apr 2008, 2:34 am

I had more than one pairs of shoes my whole life. There are summer shoes and winter shoes. I'd wear sneakers or sandals when I was little. I also wore tenna shoes and boots boots.

You can't wear sandals when it's wet outside and cold out. You have to wear boots in the snow. You have to wear certain shoes for sports and for work.

That's why we have different pairs of shoes.

They are also for fashion too. People like to have them match what they wear.

TheLadyMary
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2008, 2:41 am

I never understood the shoe obsession either. I have one pair of dress shoes that I wear rarely, one pair of work loafers, one pair of sneakers and one pair of flip flops (for running to get the mail or taking out the trash.) I wear the same shoe till they starts to fall apart, then I go look a duplicate pair or for another shoe just like it.

Felinity
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Apr 2008, 2:50 am

I read somewhere that if you rotate your athletic shoes, and let them air out, they will last longer..

So, I've always had at least 2 pairs of tennis shoes. I try to rotate them.. Also, comfortable running/walking tennis shoes are more expensive than regular shoes and I would save them for playing tennis in or something really athletic specifically...

I like nature walks.. for that, you need high-tops and good, deep tread.. Ideally made out of leather because they are warmer and last longer.. Sometimes, you might need 2 pairs of these.. one for winter (really warm, lined, gortex, leather) and one that is more "breathable" for summer.

Then, there's the worn out pair of tennis shoes that I use for going to the grocery store, etc... Those get the most wear and end up being the most worn out.. I wear them until them get holes in them... Eventually the running shoes will end up turning into the grocery store shoes.. ultimately, they end up being the walmart/thrift store shoes with holes... and Finally, the yard-work or painting shoes... ha until there's nothing left of them and they get thrown.

I have to have a decent pair of "going out" shoes like to wear to a restaurant or doctor's office. These usually are not very comfortable though.. I have a couple pairs of these to wear for the sake of having different colors.. they are usually black or brown though, nothing too fancy.

I've collected a few pairs of cowboy boots I buy cheaply at the thrift stores and also, for concerts where people are likely to try and trample my feet, I have a couple of left-over steel-toed work boots from my days working at having to load and unload alot of stuff.. They were from my old job and I still have a couple of pairs that have alot of life left because i dont' go to those crowded concerts very much.. If I think I could be in a dangerous situation, then I will wear the steel-toed shoes also.. just in case I have to use them as a weapon ;)

o.k. sorry my post is getting too long.... Oh, a pair of waterproof surf sandles for walking in the surf at the beach and a couple of nice flip-flops too... I'm really trying not to buy any more shoes -- I get them really cheaply sometimes though, but I know, I really have TOO many shoes.. and need to let them wear out.. I'll probably have the steel-toed boots for life..

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

06 Apr 2008, 5:05 am

Microban wrote:
I suppose the fashionable among us require more than one pair.
I don't really understand why either, though.

Replace the word "require" with the word "want". No one requires more than one pair of shoes, it's all to do with illogical social expectations. These expectations I still don't understand.

I only wear one pair of shoes. I don't see a reason for going out and buying another pair of shoes if your current ones aren't broken or too small. It's a waste of money just to name one reason.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:58 am

Well, I generally wear ONE pair of shoes. They are well built so they serve well as boots, and dressy, so they work well as dress shoes. I DO have sneakers if I need to work out, but I guess I won't be doing that for a while.

BTW HOW do you wear more than one pair of shoes at a time? a different one on each foot? :? That would be funny! :lol:

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 9:27 am

I currently have two pairs, but prefer the older one.

I usually wear a pair until they're so worn out they need to be thrown away.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2008, 9:53 am

were they yellow shoes? yellow shoes are fashionable for aspies.