Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RecoveryBoy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Oct 2008, 5:59 pm

Anyone familiar with the cure for the disease of addiction. AKA ibogaine.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2008, 6:17 pm

I heard about this. It is supposed to help you come down off heroin. Its effects are still being studied.

roboticalien

17 Oct 2008, 12:41 am

I read Breaking Open the Head. Good read.

jawbrodt
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 12:55 am

This is the first time I've heard of it and I will say I'm interested. Now I have to figure out how to get my hands on some. :chin:

Those who know, don't speak.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 8:36 am

it doesn't really cure addiction, at least not for long. it might give you a feeling of being "born again" and blah blah but soon enough you'll be shooting up again.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 8:41 am

anna-banana wrote:
it doesn't really cure addiction, at least not for long. it might give you a feeling of being "born again" and blah blah but soon enough you'll be shooting up again.

It doesn't cure addiction, but it is not unscientific either. It is know to inhibit painful withdraw symptoms of chemical addiction. One of the reasons why smack an crack are so hard to get off is because of the withdrawal.

If you are using it as just another drug then that defeats the point.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 8:55 am

Ibogaine is a hallucinogen. It mightn't be addictive in and of itself, but it definitely has a potential for abuse (and psychological dependence, just like marijuana and LSD do despite not being physically addictive).

Also, it's not exactly safe--Wikipedia lists twelve deaths due to ibogaine--which isn't a lot, granted; way more people die from normal doses of Tylenol (but way more people take Tylenol, too)... But it does mean this is something to be approached with caution. (Oh, and it's illegal in many places.)

There are already anti-addiction drugs on the market, like this one:

Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naltrexone
Description (by brand name Revia)
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/naltrexone.htm

Opioid antagonist--used for treatment of addiction, especially alcohol, heroin, morphine, etc. Stops the effects of the drugs but doesn't stop cravings; so it's mostly physical. It's used for rapid detox, too. Addicts probably need counseling and family (or other social) support to quit altogether. And whatever caused the addiction in the same place--whatever function the addiction served--needs to be dealt with, too. People don't take mind-altering substances for no reason.

I know about this because it was given to me for self-injury. It didn't help--probably because I don't get a positive "rush" from SI. Thankfully I know better now than to take six different psychotropics at the same time, as I was then, because I was positively miserable thanks to the side-effects--which meant I hurt myself a great deal more, not less.

Umm... Point being: If you want to stop an addiction, finding a medical cure isn't really useful for much more than detox and blocking the highs. There's a reason you needed to take whatever drug you were taking, and if you don't solve that problem, you'll just go on to something else.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 9:05 am

ibogaine is only intended to be used once during a withdrawal. Personally I think it need to be studied a lot more, but I'm more in favour of it than the adicts that are given methadone, which is more addictive than heroin itself, and tranquilisers, which are more unsafe than cold turkey withdrawal and have the potential for abuse because they are addictive also.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 9:08 am

The main thing if they have breaks the addiction chemically, then need to address what draws them to drugs in the first place. Otherwise you will have a repeat.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 9:17 am

You just said in a sentence what took me three paragraphs. Yay brevity! :P

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2008, 9:42 am

Callista wrote:
You just said in a sentence what took me three paragraphs. Yay brevity! :P

Are you talking to me? I'm not known for my brevity trust me. :lol:

Bradford
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Oct 2008, 1:02 pm

If you can get ahold of back episodes of Going Tribal, BBC Discovery, Bruce Parry undergoes a real Bwiti ritual in Gabon. Some info here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/tribe/tribes/babongo/index.shtml
People who use entheogenic sacraments dislike the pejorative terms drug and hallucinogen. We think an hallucination is something more like the government thinking it upholds the constitution or that the drug laws are a benefit to humanity.
Ibogaine has shown remarkable abilities in curing addiction, as have Peyote, Ayahuasca and Teonanacatl. Two of the best websites for both good science and anecdotes are
http://www.maps.org/
http://www.erowid.org/

Mosse
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Oct 2008, 1:07 pm

...And what if you get addicted to Ibogaine? :lol:

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2012, 7:18 am

yes it works for addiction, havent shot up since late 2009
no ibogaine has practically no likelihood of being abused or becoming addicted to, it simply wont let you and its impossible to explain to anyone who's never taken it and it is also not very pleasant nor sociable in any way
not only does it break the addiction process but also stays in your system as noribogaine for 4-6 weeks repairing various receptor sites in the brain and body via positive healing feedback loops for lack of a better explanation and when i took it i didnt intend of quitting smoking ciggs but after it i couldn't bring myself to smoke again, hell even the smell of them was sickening.

more or less it serves as a sort of hard factory reset for the brain digestion and body and as far as fatalities, generally every documented fatality was due to it aggravating a preexisting heart rythem condition and considering how many die from prescription drugs each year 12 from ibogaine is not really that many people. Also i should Add that since taking ibogaine my AS has calmed down by 99% and rarely if ever flares up anymore. also it has shown potential for treating neurological diseases such as parkinsons and alzheimers and there is a drug company in salt lake city i believe that has a patent on it for use in treating dementia should they ever remove its schedule 1 standing

if you would like further info regarding this i suggest checking out eboka.info and alot of whats been said in this post seems to be people ranting about something they have no education about so please do your homework before talking down on somthing you may know next to nothing about

thank you

MindAsh
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2012, 7:25 am

anna-banana wrote:

as far as ive experienced, after taking ibogaine its impossible to experience any sort of high from opiates so i have to disagree not to mention like i said in my previous post i havent shot up since winter of 09 and have to deal with needles now every day for my diabetic cat and using them to shoot up never crosses my mind nor do i experience cravings of any kind. also my depression has been cured entirely for about 2 years now as well as a few other aspects of my psyche as well as my physical health since i only have cravings for healthy foods ever since and cant stomach anything thats garbage or processed

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2012, 8:58 am

Ibogaine is not an experience to be abused, it's supposed to be so intense far more than any legal and illegal hallucinogen/entheogen, that one would not want to do such a thing on a regular basis. I've heard a lot about Ibogaine treatments and yes they have helped people get off many addictions. If you are desperate for finding a treatment or cure whatever you call it and nothing else is doing it for you, why the hell not try Ibogaine in a safe and legal setting with a legit shaman since it has much evidence in treating and curing illness such as addiction.