Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2009, 3:09 am

I think this counts as a motor mannerism. I say because in my Asperger's evaluation I was found to have sufficient criteria for a. but not for B in the dsm iv.

I assume hand wringing is what you do when you wash your hands.
I don't think it counts for me. not sure if it's been a constant in my life or even if I've laways done it the last couple years.
mostly I do it cause 1 of my hands is a bit cold.

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

Sea_of_Saiyan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2009, 3:45 am

I haven't been diagnosed with anything, but I do play with my hands often, usually when I'm talking to people or otherwise nervous.

While I'm thinking, I tend to crack my knuckles, twist my fingers and nibble on my knuckles and fingernails.

Generally while I speak to others, the hand movements tend to get more bizarre - I tend to flip my hands around each other and clap and sweep them back and forth.

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2009, 12:31 pm

anyone else?

-HL Mencken

-as of now official dx is ADHD (inattentive type) but said ADD (314.00) on the dx paper, PDD-NOS and was told looks like I have NLD

notbrianna
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2009, 2:01 pm

Sea_of_Saiyan wrote:
...I do play with my hands often, usually when I'm talking to people or otherwise nervous.

While I'm thinking, I tend to crack my knuckles, twist my fingers and nibble on my knuckles and fingernails.

Generally while I speak to others, the hand movements tend to get more bizarre - I tend to flip my hands around each other and clap and sweep them back and forth.
I do that too. Sometimes I twist my hands at the wrist so that it cracks. I also have been known to peel the skin off of my fingers.

pensieve
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 6:14 pm

Isn't hand wringing when you hold one hand over the other? I do that sometimes, if I'm cold or trying to stop myself from scratching an itchy hand.

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2009, 6:25 pm

I have done hand wringing in the past and I still think I occasionally do it these days too. But my main problem is when my hands start to shake, but for some reason that seems to help calm me.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

vivinator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2009, 6:45 pm

pensieve wrote:
Isn't hand wringing when you hold one hand over the other? I do that sometimes, if I'm cold or trying to stop myself from scratching an itchy hand.

I believe so

here's a google image search for that

http://images.google.com/images?q=hand% ... a=N&tab=wi

-HL Mencken

Anniemaniac
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2009, 2:24 am

I don't wring my hands (my mum does though) but I do play with my hands and fingers when nervous, or just as a stim, sometimes. I tap my fingers a lot.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 3:08 am

I twist my fingers alot...same thing I guess...

I got asked once if it was one of my stims, and I had not really thought about it that way before, but I guess it is.

I will also sometimes, for no apparent reason walk around with my hands clasped in front of me at chest level..while also twisting my fingers.

pandd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2009, 3:21 am

I twist and squeeze my fingers and wring my hands.

yeniquencos
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Feb 2009, 12:57 am

I do hand wringing all the time....when i was younger i would do it when i was frustrated and my parents would yell at me for it. Mine was very violent and abrasive and i would squeeze my hands so tight that they would hurt from the friction. I also am a hand flapper. So when i get really excited i flap my hands really fast. Still do all of this to this day and have since before i can remember. Also, a common tick for aspies is an unexplained cough, i've had one since i was two. It was so bad they did xrays to see if i inhaled a candy wrapper.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 8:10 am

When I was in primary school there was still a horrible baroque-style handwriting standard in schools and I had the most difficulties in my hand writing - my handwriting was famous for being the worst in scholl. It was even worst that we got grades for mastering this more artistic than practical letters, when following the precise form had to be archived:

In high school I started to use a typewriter for all my home work. It was faster and always readable. For exams and other situations when can't avoid using the computer I trained myself for a simple and readable design of letters. Personally I found that the Caroline Minuscule was reasonable easy to master and so my handwriting today looks a bit like a script of the 9th century.

I had similar problems in high school and college with creating technical drafts. Also the advent of CAD was here for me a relieve.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 12:08 pm

Dussel wrote:
When I was in primary school there was still a horrible baroque-style handwriting standard in schools and I had the most difficulties in my hand writing - my handwriting was famous for being the worst in scholl. It was even worst that we got grades for mastering this more artistic than practical letters, when following the precise form had to be archived:

I learnt the Lateinische Ausgangschrift and so do the students in 1st grade do in 2009 where I work. Except those special ed students who can't manage to write even in normal lines due to their motor delays.

These are perfectly practical letters if you do not have motor disorders.

I write like that only.

Dussel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 12:39 pm

Sora wrote:
I learnt the Lateinische Ausgangschrift and so do the students in 1st grade do in 2009 where I work. Except those special ed students who can't manage to write even in normal lines due to their motor delays.

So far I am aware they simplified the letters in the 1970s:

Sora wrote:
These are perfectly practical letters if you do not have motor disorders.

I had big difficulties with the original letters and do not use those at all.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 12:52 pm

I do alot of hand wringing, well basicly any sort fidgety hand movement even when I'm not nervous. but I don't usually flap though, only when I'm absolutely bursting with excitement but generally I'm more of a wringer than a flapper

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2009, 1:36 pm

Dussel wrote:
Sora wrote:

So far I am aware they simplified the letters in the 1970s:

In some places it's like that. Maybe some countries even require all schools to use one of these but not the other?

Students at another elementary school in my city learn the Vereinfachte Ausgangschrift (which I find immensely harder, because suddenly the connections between the letters don't make sense to me anymore). But the school I'm working at teaches the Lateinische.