Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 4:28 pm

I wonder if this is part of my ASD issue which is trouble in depth perception and coordination. I had many accidents due to driving.

My dad adviced me that it was probably not best for me to drive anymore. Well I didn't listen to him and eventually got into a huge wreck!! !!

Now it's been 2 years and I don't drive. The biggest trouble is not having public transportation wherever needed.

So there's my story.

Anyone else with this problem?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 4:35 pm

I have bad depth perception and coordination. I have no interest in learning to drive, and wouldn't you know it, now that I have absolutely no interest in it, my mother says I should learn.

How do you deal with not driving? Is it very hard?

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2009, 4:38 pm

oh good it's not just me.

I have pretty much been forced to learn to drive (over the last 8 years pretty much) so I have finally got my license and can drive but i know i am such a dangerous driver. I avoid it wherever humanly possible. Depth perception, sun-phobia, difficulty multitasking. I have not been in a fast-moving accident where I was the driver (with parked cars and roadside rubbish yes, and fast-moving accidents where someone else was driving yes) but have been in lots of close shaves. Also very high anxiety while driving, half the time I'll have a good cry when I get to wherever I have to be. Even with the high anxiety I'll always forget something or other.

I'm just waiting for that accident one day.

AnnePande
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 4:40 pm

I have never taken a driver license. I wasn't sure I dared because I'm not good at judging distances (not sure if that's the right expression in English, but hope you understand).
I didn't know anything about AS at the time my peers usually took it though (18 years). But my eyesight is a bit unusual because I only use one eye at the time (no multitasking there either, haha), and the one of my eyes is longsighted and the other one shortsighted.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 4:40 pm

Don't you think that if you know you are a dangerous driver, and feel that it's only a matter of time before you have an accident, that you should stop driving?

Liresse
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2009, 4:42 pm

Marcia - I FEAR driving. Everyone around me forces me to drive (although less so these days when I can verbalise exactly what my difficulties are and why it is dangerous). At the beginning, I basically didn't have a choice.

It might be noted that my family does not agree with my autism diagnosis and prefers to look the other way.

My father in particular believes that if I'm thrown at it enough, I'll get over it. This applies to sensory difficulties etc as well as driving. I have very little respect for my father these days.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:00 pm

I am a non-driver, and so is my mom.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:08 pm

i learned to drive at 40 and i am a bad driver. i try to drive only in my country town and in the bush.
occasionally i go up to the gold coast to see my psychologist. it is reall yhard and really stressful.
my car is covered in dings and bumps.

trickie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2009, 5:28 pm

I don't drive but I have my learners permit which I use solely for photo I.D., I have no intention of ever driving to bad public transit sucks

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:34 pm

yes,don't drive but use a car during the week with staff as drivers,and a blue badge [needed for parking in disabled spaces].

will never be able to drive for different reasons than what have mentioned,but am not bothered as support staff are drivers.
Remote control cars are the closest will ever get to it,and they're great fun,smash them up quick though.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:51 pm

I cannot drive either. I want to because it will be necessary once I finally aquire a job, but I cannot get any practice and there was no one willing to take me to get my permit when I was younger. *sigh* Oh well. They few times that I have driven I was very frightned and near a panic attack. Maybe it is best that I simply do not drive at all.

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:55 pm

I can't drive legally because of my nonverbal learning disability. I was getting lost for hours in my car and crying. I was in accidents.

I drove a mile up a one way street and got arrested for "driving under the influence" when I had not drank or done anything. They tested me for two hours, concluded I was not high and recommended that I not drive again.

That was two years ago. My doctor even wrote a letter stating that I should not be driving due to the severity of my nonverbal learning disability.

I've been through a lot with this!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

ngonz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Mar 2009, 5:58 pm

I also have trouble with depth perception due to 'lazy eye'. Is that what you have, too? I didn't drive until I was 25. I had a lot of anxiety about it.

My son doesn't drive because he gets too stressed out---too much input, and he freaks out trying to keep track of all that is coming at him, and all that he needs to watch for. Driving is really a multitasking skill, and he has problems multitasking.

He and I are both Aspie.

www.neurointegrity.com

whitetiger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 5:58 pm

Oh and I walk a lot here in Oregon and take the bus for longer trips.

In North Carolina, I was on a program where a cab would take me anywhere in Raleigh for $2 each way. It was because I had been certified as not able to drive by my doctor. I wish I had something like that here. I would love it!

http://www.youtube.com/user/whitetigerdream

Don't take life so seriously. It isn't permanent!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2009, 6:22 pm

Nah, and I never will [drive on a public road like "normal" people].

I can drive when it's just me on the road, but having to track other drivers is too much for my mind.

gary1984
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

04 Mar 2009, 6:31 pm

I don't drive yet, though I'd like to and one day probably will!

Though I'd like a smartcar because they are tiny :)