Does everyone with Asperger's get meltdowns?

Page 8 of 8 [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2018, 7:37 pm

I don't. I went uncontrollably hysterical once for a few minutes in 1980, while under extreme pressure, but that's about all. Some time in the late 1960s at school I had an episode that might have looked like a meltdown, but there was an element of faking in it - somebody started bullying me and I went kind of ape and started yelling my head off. I think I could have controlled myself but I figured it might confuse the bully if I just let it rip, and it must have worked, because the bully stopped and didn't bother me again. I've never done any self-harming.

I'm the most stable person I know. I used to wonder why anybody had meltdowns, but since then I've experienced a few worrying peaks of frustration and upset which gave me a glimpse of how I could get pushed into a meltdown if I was under intolerable pressure. I take my emotional well-being very seriously and I put a lot of energy into maintaining it at a reasonable level in spite of assaults on it by the world. So far I've been lucky - I feel scared, angry, frustrated and hurt quite often, but it's never been anything like as intense as what some people go through. According to my diagnostic report the intensity of my ASD seems to be about half-way between zero and full-scale. They didn't give me a "level" as such.

KoalaKid1578
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Dec 2018, 10:37 am

I experience mostly shutdowns, where my ability to communicate is mostly obliterated. Also my ability to move because exponentially harder. My brain becomes fuzzy, and my emotions surge with hot rage. Sometimes, this can boil over to crying, or confrontations if provoked. However, my brother has experienced more classic meltdowns when he was a kid. My shutdowns can last usually a few hours, and I've even had them at work quite a few times...not a pleasant experience to say the least.