Gender Identity Disorder and Asperger's Syndrnome.

Page 8 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you have gender issues?
Yes, I do have gender issues and I have AS 54%  54%  [ 163 ]
Yes, I do have gender issues, but not AS 1%  1%  [ 2 ]
No, I do not have gender issues, but have AS 42%  42%  [ 128 ]
No, I don't have either of the two 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Total votes : 304

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2010, 3:10 pm

PunkyKat wrote:
I'm female but felt I was male as young as three. I wonder if I truely had some excess testrone in my body but having more male influnces than female ones or if it was just because I didn't like people shoving female sterotypes in my face. I remember wishing I was a boy just so my mother wouldn't force me to wear ugly, confortable dresses to church. We stoped going to church for a few years and after that I didn't mind being female. My real idenity issue was feeling as if I was born the wrong species.

I also wonder if I have more testosterone than is normal for a female.

I have the high sex drive, aggressive nature, prominent eyebrow ridge and excess hair that I have to get rid of every day...

And there are many aspects of femininity I just never felt suited me. I felt jealous of males when I reached puberty, but not because I wanted to be a male..it was more that their bodies were powerful and functional, and mine seemed like just a baby machine.

Jinx_fxdi
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2010, 2:46 pm

The way I see it, if a fully functional female can be born with a penis, why can't a fully functional male have a female brain?

It is a reversal of the sex organs when you really think about it.

Oh yea, I just found out about AS, self-diagnosed with MAJOR gender issues.

Glad to know I'm not the only one.

GaijinRanger
Raven
Raven

30 Oct 2010, 12:38 pm

I have gender identity issues and I suspect I may be an Aspie. That said, I'm not entirely sure if they are related.

I'm that classic GID case that wore dresses as a little boy (until my mum caught wind of this and stopped that entirely). As a result, I've grown up a little repressed. For example, I love clothes shopping. But sometimes I get depressed when I find cute clothes that are for girls... And it's not just a matter of fashion. I don't like to pee standing up, and I refuse to use urinals. At the most extreme end, male genitalia just utterly disgusts me. Nothing too deep about that, it's just... Ew.

I've come out about my gender identity issues to my friends and family years ago. I am seeking what I need to do to obtain sexual reassignment surgery. I've researched SRS and, over the course of years of carefully sorting out my feelings, I have decided that surgery is the path I want to take.

God can't just build me like this and expect me to get along just fine. That bastard owes me some tits.

Dnuos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 2:59 pm

I've always wondered if I was really a female lesbian trapped in a male's body.

I feel really effeminate, and feel like I might belong with females more than males. Don't know why...

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

30 Oct 2010, 9:18 pm

No, I do not have gender identity issues, but I have AS.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2010, 9:19 pm

No, I do not have gender issues, but have AS.

Mosh
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Oct 2010, 9:31 pm

I do not have GID (Although there was a brief period in my younger days where I felt I would've been better off as a female), but I would say I am more feminine than my fellow males. I do have Asperger Syndrome.

SunshineRecorder
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Oct 2010, 5:31 am

Im quite happy being a lad, but Im not afraid to do girly things now and again lol.

Sarahgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2011, 3:28 am

timeisdead wrote:
I happen to believe in objective logic. Sex is simply a matter of chromosomes, bone structure, and reproductive organs. Just because a girl likes playing with trucks or a boy likes playing with dolls doesn't mean that he or she is of the opposite gender (Yes I understand that "gender" is used for the supposed mental sex in sociology but I consider that notion total BS). How you are socialized does not change anatomical biology or alter your genetics. I believe in objective biology over subjective sociological drivel.

Okay, Firstly i am extremely new here, this is my first post,...

I've had several people inform me that i could have Asperger's syndrome or other forms of autism. though i am not formally diagnosed

i believe objectivity is key in a lot of things, seemingly not so in sociology.. and perhaps only sociology, because everything else seems to make some sort of logical sense.
society seems to have begun with minds that don't necessarily aspire toward knowledge and is apparently majorly occupied by them.
yeah a lot of scientific terminology and nomenclature as well as categorization only exist to make it easier for the majority to comprehend, although i do believe a lot of it serves for the opposite toward me.

so my main point is though, What is the gender or sex of those born with 3 sex chromosomes such as XXY.

By all means objective logic is grand, yet maybe your perception when you wrote this was flawed as mine may be right now.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

10 Jan 2011, 3:34 am

Looking at timeisdead's invocation of logic, I suggest that logic is only as good as the information you feed it. Garbage in, garbage out.

Sarahgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2011, 3:37 am

timeisdead wrote:
Quote:
That's not actually true. Hormones are very important in the development of sexual traits. A person with XY chromosomal identity can develop without the usual suite of male sex traits if they are androgen insensitive (as just one example of the importance of hormones).

Those with AIS are biological males with defective androgen receptors that are unable to bind to the androgen hormone or DNA. In any case, it is a rare X-linked mutation; most of the "transgendered" have an absence of this condition.

Quote:
An objective examination of the facts demonstrates that it is not BS. Gender varies a great deal more across time and space than does sex, and than can be realistically accounted for by bio-genetic changes. The only sensible conclusion is that gender is not purely biological, and is only correlated to biology. It is a social construction.How you are socialized is very influential in determining your notions about gender and your gender performance. If gender were biologically objective, then all human societies would have the same gender system, the same gender norms, and the same gender beliefs. Yet despite the lack of significant variation in the biological facts (of sex) gender systems, norms and beliefs vary significantly across time and space.

Gender norms may have some variations across the globe but that itself says that being "transgendered" is a socially constructed condition and not a biological reality. If it’s simply social construction it isn’t reality. Historically, gender has been assigned according to biological capabilities. Reality is independent of man’s consciousness or any observer’s knowledge or beliefs. Man does not create reality; he merely perceives it.

do you study physics?

The theory of special relativity? which states that as the speed of light is constant all who perceive anything perceive it differently and in each perception it is as it is for their personal reality.

i find trying to create a uniform collective reality very old school and reminiscent of Galilean relativity.

Amik
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 6:16 am

I have AS and I have gender identity issues. While I don't feel like I fit perfectly into either gender, I feel like I'm much closer to being a guy than a girl, despite being biologically female. I have very little in common with other females and I feel like I have more in common with males and am more similar to them in most ways. I pretty much think of myself as a guy.

Kaybee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jan 2011, 6:29 am

I don't know. Does it count as a Gender Identity Disorder if you feel of neutral gender?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

11 Jan 2011, 9:13 am

By the strict definition, no, because it specifies either male or female. Of course the strict definition is pointlessly limited, and is a bit of a disservice to a lot of people:

Quote:
There are two components of Gender Identity Disorder, both of which must be present to make the diagnosis. Thee must be evidence of a strong and persistent gross-gender identification, which is the desire to be, or the insistence that one is of the other sex (Criteria A). This cross-gender identification must not merely be a desire for any perceived cultural advantages of being the other sex. there must also be evidence of persistent discomfort about one’s assigned sex or a sense of inappropriateness in the gender role of that sex (Criteria B). The diagnosis is not made if the individual has a concurrent physical intersex condition (e.g., androgen insensitivity syndrome or congenital adrenal hyperplasia) (Criteria C). To make the diagnosis, there must be evidence of clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning (Criteria D).

Seems like people who get all shirty about this get shirty about the desire to transition, but I think they ignore the "clinically significant distress or impairment" part and just think "sex = they're all perverts."

Anyway, I think if there's little or no distress in being perceived as a member of your assigned sex and associated gender, it's not gender identity disorder. If there is significant distress, then it probably is (although if you're not binary, it might be "gender identity disorder, not otherwise specified" and very few will help you transition if you're honest about wanting to transition to some point other than strictly male or strictly female. Maybe some would diagnose you as GID NOS without the extreme discomfort and need to transition? I don't know, I am not an expert, I just read the DSM and associated information.

Being transgender and/or genderqueer has significantly lower clinical requirements.

Sarahgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2011, 1:22 am

Verdandi wrote:
Seems like people who get all shirty about this get shirty about the desire to transition, but I think they ignore the "clinically significant distress or impairment" part and just think "sex = they're all perverts."

i dislike that use of the word pervert, because you are accusing a majority of being different to the majority.

"Perversion is a concept describing those types of human behavior that are a serious deviation from what is considered to be orthodox or normal. ..."

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 1:30 am

Sarahgirl wrote:
Verdandi wrote:

i dislike that use of the word pervert, because you are accusing a majority of being different to the majority.

"Perversion is a concept describing those types of human behavior that are a serious deviation from what is considered to be orthodox or normal. ..."

I am not accusing anyone of anything. I was referring to a common usage of the word perverts and how it can be used to malign a marginalized population.

My point is that transgender people seek transition because of "clinically significant distress or impairment" and many people mischaracterize their motivations as a sexual fetish, or an attachment to the idea that men are supposed to behave like X and women are supposed to behave like Y, or some other superficial reasoning that bears little relationship to reality.