Page 8 of 8 [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2019, 4:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:
I live in a country that has a high minimum wage, Unions and red tape bureaucracy that makes it hard to find employment. What must be done is abolish minimum wage, reduce red tape and ban Unions and only then I would stand a chance to gain employment.
Do you really want to make other people as poor and unprotected as you just to give yourself a better chance at a low-wage job?

That's £10.14 an hour, that is high, ours is £8.21 and I think that's fair but that might be because I live in rural area

so my rent is not ludicrous. I don't think lower min wage makes more jobs it tends to mean more people in jobs

getting topped up by the state. If your unions have got rid of zero hour contracts then they're doing a good job, and

if that cost you a job, trust me, you don't want a job like that anyway, the uncertainty and stress is a killer.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2019, 1:18 am

I should have said I will work for free as a trial to see if the job is for me and to gain experience.
If I had the money I would pay for an internship in a company or pay an employer to say I have worked at their company and provide reference.
It is so hard getting a job in my country without any experience and without reliable transport.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 4:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Civil Service jobs are really good for autistic people.

I've been on my job 39 years (though not promoted). I don't deal with the public; I only have to deal with my coworkers.

I'm getting a pension in 3 years, 1 month.

Wow. You made it.

Be the hero of your life.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Dec 2019, 9:46 am

Unemployable and no friends. Life with Autism/Aspergers is a living nightmare and it never gets easier. I can not get a job because of Aspergers. College was a complete nightmare because everyone thought I was weird and hated me. It is critical to make friends and form social networks at college to improve employment prospects but it is near impossible to make friends with Aspergers. I would buy friends and social networks if I came from a rich family.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2019, 10:00 am

A life of little employment taught me to work for myself to reduce my need for money. I make almost all my food from basic ingredients. It is better for me as well as cheaper. I shop for used things, and fix them. When I live in a city, I use a bicycle for most errands. I learned to be careful about improving a rental space though - the landlord usually decides to raise the rent, but is ashamed enough to evict the fixer-upper first.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2019, 1:34 am

People with Asperger’s are unemployable because they at one way or another socially disabled. They can be socially disabled because of past experience dealing with people. They might be bullied and mistreated routinely while they were children. This experience will still affect them throughout adulthood without support to unlearn behaviours gained from childhood.

People with Asperger’s are unemployed because their difficulty of creating and/or maintaining relationships. When people go to college, they expect to get a degree and head off to a job thinking that they will be hired. But the sad truth and the reality of the situation is that it’s not the case: You need really need social connections in order to get a job and in order to get social connections you need to be more social with people. Especially with the recent glut of college grads finding out that they’re unemployable.

People with Asperger’s usually have difficulty with aspects of social connection because of various reasons. They have difficulty or have no interest in small talk unless it’s something related to their interest. They may be more interested in college life than the social part of college life. In addition, they have interest more narrow than general people who have general mainstream interests that people with asperger’s have little interest or find them unappealing. Because people with Asperger’s can’t relate they often have difficulty having making friends or social connections.
Other reasons that are related are the lack of soft skills and prejudice and stereotypes of people with a people with asperger’s.

People who deny the existence of autism disorders will simply tell them to just “Get friends” or “Get a job”, thinking that it’s easy just like picking a pencil. But really it isn’t. It takes time. Sadly people with Asperger’s need real help in getting a job other than knee jerk reactions or stock advice that worked for other people.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2019, 11:16 am

I'm glad to be back in the employment real, as I plan on doing my best to earn monies towards carrying out certain projects.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Dec 2019, 7:57 am

Sweden, Finland and Norway are social democratic welfare states. People pay high taxes but also get a high degree and quality of services i.e education, healthcare, infrastructure etc.

Social democratic welfare states generally have generous social welfare provisions like much better social housing and unemployment benefits are above the poverty line. For example Finland has adopted a housing first policy which is why there are less homeless people. Crime rate is relatively low in Scandinavian nations and the people are friendly and live great lives.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/ ... elessness/

Under a liberal welfare state like the US, UK, Canada and Australia we pay less taxes but get less services and our social welfare benefits are low for example there is a social housing crisis where people are often on the waiting list for years. Crime is higher and people are unfriendly and live unhappier lives compared to Scandinavians.

Social democratic vs liberal welfare states have differing ideologies and thus differing outcomes. While social democracies are still capitalist systems there is much stronger government regulation and a culture of collective rather than individual focus.

In social democratic welfare states yes it may be harder for people to become billionaires (as they pay more tax) than in a liberal welfare states but they have the best outcomes for things like education, healthcare, gender equality, income equality, and reduced social issues like homelessness etc.

I would choose to live in a Scandinavian nation that embraces social democracy, live a happier life, lower crime rate and more social benefits a small price to pay with paying higher taxes.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2019, 12:47 pm

^^ I would also note that the upward mobility of capitalist systems is largely illusory. A few individuals make the news, but the general trend is to greater extremes of many poor and few rich. The other trouble is that all that wealth is wasted - the rich are not any more happy, just trapped in games of greed with their peers.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Dec 2019, 11:04 pm

I don't have and don't want to have a job.

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Dec 2019, 12:26 am

I gave many years ago and have just lived off welfare. I can not get a job because I have Aspergers. Employers never liked me and never wanted to employ me because I have got Aspergers. Completing a college degree was a complete waste of time because employers do not employ people with Aspergers. If I did not have Aspergers, I would be more employable and live a happier life with purpose and meaning. If only I did not have Aspergers.

UsedHardPutAwayWet
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Feb 2022, 2:38 am

I agree with others: I will NOT disclose my autism to anyone in the workplace. Backstabbing, the rumour mills, and out right undercutting anyone any way they can seems to be the motto of about 90% of what's in the workforce.
Know your own strengths and strive to get assigned work where you can demonstrate your worth without disclosing one bit of possibly useful undermining material to anyone.
I can get work but due to religious issues in Utah it's hard as they attack anyone not willing to be part of their clan.