Page 8 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:23 am

Tonight I was reading an article titled Heavenly Creatures in a New Zealand magazine (The Listener) about the creator of Pokemon Go and I was delighted to notice that the D word wasn't used at all:

The concept was the brainchild of Satoshi Tajiri, who confirmed in 2011 that he sits on the autistic spectrum. Popular media articles about autism may have led you to believe that people who are autistic do not understand how other people work, but Tajiri has clearly tapped into something that, even if it has roots in his own autistic obsessionality, is shared with millions of others. Like many video games, Pokemon Go takes advantage of at least two basic psychological processes - one behavioural and one biological. First, like many things we learn to do, playing the game is reinforcing: there is a reward for climbing a hill to catch an elusive Gloom. You feel you have achieved something, and the game supplies noises and words to signal your achievement."

Another source describes him in a blog, also not using the D word:

Like everyone else, autistic people have their own special interests and passions. I’m sure most of you are familiar with the product Pokemon. Created in 1996, it’s creator, Satoshi Tajiri, came up with the idea from his childhood hobby of collecting bugs. Tajiri was also an avid video game player in high school. His constant play would ultimately pay off. The Pokemon game series has sold more than 200 million copies. Only the Super Mario game franchise has sold more.

To create and work at this concept, Tajiri had to have a brilliant mind, right? Well he does. *Tajiri has a form of autism called asperger syndrome. Because he is autistic, Tajiri’s mind is much different in comparison to our average human brain. Our brains process about 13 to 30 cycles of brain wave energy per second. Individuals with autism far surpass that. Their brains can process up to 250,000 cycles of brain wave energy per second. Quite remarkable, eh?

I wonder if he has read the brilliant book "The Reason I Jump" which was written by a 13 year old Japanese boy on the spectrum. It's a very inspiring book and vibrant proof that the AS difference can equate with remarkable talent.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:39 am

B19 wrote:
A mother writes: "screw your IQ tests":

http://respectfullyconnected.com/2016/0 ... it-my-son/

Well, then why not "screw your autism diagnoses"?

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:44 am

Oops, my mistake. That was meant for a different thread, about the relevance of IQ to achievement. It is irrelevant here, sorry for any confusion.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 8:48 am

B19 wrote:
The concept was the brainchild of Satoshi Tajiri, who confirmed in 2011 that he sits on the autistic spectrum.

This is what I mean about showing your intelligence by doing something with it instead of taking silly tests and telling people your score.

Satoshi may be intelligent and successful, but he still has a disorder. So I guess what I'm saying is that words don't define you.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2016, 9:28 am

To someone with moderate to severe autism, it is disabling. Not being able to communicate, especially if experiencing discomfort or pain and "going medieval" at the drop of a hat (sometimes literally for me) doesn't especially jive well in the real world. This is why the D is in the definition.

By the way, up in these parts, dropping the D means the same as going #2.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

All the geniuses I know don't take IQ tests and are not members of Mensa, the World Genius Directory, or other high IQ societies. They don't have time to do these things, as they are too busy inventing, discovering, and creating things.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 2:28 pm

B19 wrote:
A mother writes: "screw your IQ tests":

http://respectfullyconnected.com/2016/0 ... it-my-son/

I know it wasn't meant for this thread, but wow, what a wonderful article.

Personally, I don't have any problem with the word "disorder". Autism does cause us impairments in certain ways. That doesn't mean we're inferior to NTs, but it does mean we have a disability.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 3:06 pm

I think it is a disorder. Though Since this isn't necissarly offtopic I Think all the labels are stupid and it should just be ASD not Asperger's ASD Level 1 ASD Level 2 etc.

morugin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Sep 2016, 3:31 pm

It's only a disorder if it is causing significant difficulty in your day to day life.
If it isn't causing any difficulty, why would you even get a diagnosis for it?

If you are functioning at a high enough level there is no 'D'.
programmers and mathematicians are AS without the D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 3:32 pm

androbot01 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
I apologize for forgetting this is 2016 and we must assume the worst about people until proven otherwise

So apperarently
1. All of these organizations that accepted him as a member
World Genius Directory, Mensa, Triple Nine Society, Poetic Genius Society and Mensa's Exceptionally & Profoundly Gifted Special Interest Group are wrong
or
2. He is a faker and fooled all of them in addition to TEDx talks
or
3. He is a faker who lied about these memberships.
(SMH)

If this is addressed to me then you are misunderstanding me. I don't think he is lying about being a member of these organizations. I am quite sure he passed all their tests legitimately. Your first point is closest to what I am saying, which is, that these groups are not measuring anything that is necessarily indicative of genius. That is, IQ tests are skewed and flawed and do not determine anything useful about the test takers. I agree with the poster above who said that if your "claim to fame" is that you do well on IQ tests then you must not have anything better to do.

But again why assume the worst? Do you know if these organizations use ONLY IQ tests as criteria for accepting members? Maybe I am wrong but I do not think so. If we go by it must be conclusively proven a person is a genius before posting about a "genius" a post likely can never be made, and we can never say autistic geniuses exist.

I understand genius is subjective. So is autism, it is certainly possible the clinition with 30 years experience who diagnosed me got it wrong. If I was determined enough I am sure I can more then find enough reasonable doubt about my diagnosis if not make a convincing case the diagnosis was wrong.

Most of my life I have been critized for bieng too pessimistic and cynical. By 2016 standards I am probably considered somewhat of an idealist. Life is weird sometimes.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 11:47 pm

I wonder what people do at meetings of high IQ societies?

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Sep 2016, 7:13 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I wonder what people do at meetings of high IQ societies?

They compare the sizes of each other's IQs, to see who has the biggest.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
If we go by it must be conclusively proven a person is a genius before posting about a "genius" a post likely can never be made, and we can never say autistic geniuses exist.

But that isn't the case. We know people with autism can have genius thoughts. I think we disagree on how to measure genius. I say it should be judged by contribution, you say by test results. I think IQ tests can accurately determine ability in specific areas, I think genius is determined by societal contribution.

I would venture to say that our own Alex Plank showed a bit of genius when he developed this site.

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Sep 2016, 9:25 am

You guys really just need to stop pretending. It is depressing, maybe even heart wrenching to have to look deep inside and see all your defects, our defects, I know so many of you want to believe you are not in an unfair situation. I was there, I know what it feels like to think others are what's wrong, that society has been persecuting supposedly special individuals and we thought we were ahead of our peers but they saw how slow we really were and what annoying repetitive creeps we would be. It is frightening and gives great anxiety to our very existence, we may even feel suicidal at times when we confront it, but learning to confront it together and look for some hope will keep us alive. Put aside your pride and really look at it from a rational and logical point of view, just try. Stop romanticizing autism. It is a disorder, and part of it for some of you is the inability to realize that, a lack of self awareness. Every day you continue to push this is another day progress is set back, another day added to potential suffering, another day added to the journey to a better society. Please.....just stop, I'm begging you, all of you, and for those who understand me, pass it on. As for the rest, you've wasted decades being on the wrong side of history. It breaks my heart it has to be this way. Please stop.

-Johnnyh

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 9:30 am

I think progress is made when one accepts one's deficits and learns ways to work with them. Denying them and blaming the nt world is a waste of energy.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 9:34 am

johnnyh wrote:
You guys really just need to stop pretending. It is depressing, maybe even heart wrenching to have to look deep inside and see all your defects, our defects, I know so many of you want to believe you are not in an unfair situation. I was there, I know what it feels like to think others are what's wrong, that society has been persecuting supposedly special individuals and we thought we were ahead of our peers but they saw how slow we really were and what annoying repetitive creeps we would be. It is frightening and gives great anxiety to our very existence, we may even feel suicidal at times when we confront it, but learning to confront it together and look for some hope will keep us alive. Put aside your pride and really look at it from a rational and logical point of view, just try. Stop romanticizing autism. It is a disorder, and part of it for some of you is the inability to realize that, a lack of self awareness. Every day you continue to push this is another day progress is set back, another day added to potential suffering, another day added to the journey to a better society. Please.....just stop, I'm begging you, all of you, and for those who understand me, pass it on. As for the rest, you've wasted decades being on the wrong side of history. It breaks my heart it has to be this way. Please stop.

I'm very glad that when I was a kid, the term "Asperger's Syndrome" didn't exist,
so the label I was given instead was
"gifted."

Words mean things.
People tend to live up to or down to other people's expectations.

If I'd been labeled with autism or Asperger's,
I think my life would have been far worse.

Am I gifted in everything?
Absolutely not.
Are there things I struggle with?
Absolutely yes.

What I do in all situations is do my best to be the best version of myself.