Page 8 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

Where's your article?

Autism is defined (albeit imperfectly) by the diagnostic criteria in either the DSM-V or the ICD-10.

I am going to say that, many times, parents can be as supportive as heck----but all this support doesn't prevent autism.

If a mother/father is abusive, the possibility exists that a child could exhibit autistic-like symptoms in either the presence of absence of actual autism.

I've seen it mentioned (perhaps in this very thread) that neglect can also induce autistic-like symptoms in children who are otherwise not autistic. This happens in orphanages.

LilLoki
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2018, 12:01 pm

genetic mutation, as well as color blindness

LilLoki
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2018, 12:15 pm

Awies <3

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2018, 12:21 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Where's your article?

Autism is defined (albeit imperfectly) by the diagnostic criteria in either the DSM-V or the ICD-10.

I am going to say that, many times, parents can be as supportive as heck----but all this support doesn't prevent autism.

If a mother/father is abusive, the possibility exists that a child could exhibit autistic-like symptoms in either the presence of absence of actual autism.

I've seen it mentioned (perhaps in this very thread) that neglect can also induce autistic-like symptoms in children who are otherwise not autistic. This happens in orphanages.

'Imperfectly' in my opinion doesn't quite do justice to the methods currently used for deciding upon and categorizing 'mental disorders' in the DSM. :|

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 1:09 pm

The trouble: is that diagnosing mental disorders, especially if they are relatively subtle, is quite a subjective thing.

One doctor's autism is another doctor's ADHD.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2018, 1:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The trouble: is that diagnosing mental disorders, especially if they are relatively subtle, is quite a subjective thing.

One doctor's autism is another doctor's ADHD.

Absolutely! At the moment I'm pondering about whether I have autism, ADHD, both, or neither.
:P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 3:28 pm

smudge wrote:
katy_rome wrote:
smudge wrote:
Bad parenting.

Interesting.
Elaborate?

All the autistics I’ve ever known who have had major struggles in life have all had parents who didn’t help them, didn’t believe in them and either ignored them or made too much of a fuss of how badly affected they were, and either way ruined their self esteem.

The question is "what causes autism?". Not "what makes life difficult for autistics?".
you're telling us that "once you have the condition you get bad parenting", but the question is "what causes the condition in the first place?".

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 3:57 pm

katy_rome wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
B19 wrote:
It is now thought by geneticists that DNA mutations can occur to the foetus after conception and before birth. This is now thought to explain why identical twins can be significantly different - and re autism, why one identical twin can be on the spectrum and the other not. The old assumption that both are subject to exactly the same conditions is a developing area of inquiry, and it is a very interesting one.

In my only family there is evidence of AS for five generations, the two before mine and the two after mine, and in the fifth generation (my grandchildren) there are one set of fraternal male twins. Both are AS though they manifest it in different ways. One is quite extroverted, very gifted in maths, science and athletic ability, and highly competitive and independent; the other is introverted with average scholastic ability, profoundly interested in the natural world, a gentle soul who does his best in everything and needs a lot of emotional support and reassurance. (Their parents are my NT daughter and my AS son-in-law), but as genes are inherited as well from grandparents, and of the 4 grandparents, 2 of us ,( the paternal grandfather and myself, the maternal grandmother) are on the spectrum, so I would say that in our family AS arises from genetics rather than any mutation after conception.

However given the explosion of new genetic knowledge in the past 15 years, I would think that the next ten years will see some extraordinary progress in building on the work to date in this field.

The mutation after conception theory is more compelling in the case of those families in whom no-one has AS and then it suddenly appears in one child. I look forward to more knowledge developing in this body of research.

^^ identical twin differences explained well here by B19. Absolutely fascinating reading about your family B19. How do you feel diagnosis and support has changed over the generations?

This is fascinating. I wonder WHAT might cause the DNA to mutate?

Some identical twins have different placentas. It is possible that this is part of the reason, that one twin receives some kind of input via the placenta which is capable of causing epigenetic effects, and some leading geneticists accept that this is not only possible but actual.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 7:15 pm

katy_rome wrote:
redrobin62 wrote:
Yay! I'm a mutant. No wonder I relate so well to the X-Men.

Wabbeee! Mutants unite.
:mrgreen:

Green eyes are one of many mutations people have, and I have green eyes, so I am a mutant too - like most of people on the planet today :)

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2018, 7:44 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't believe it's caused by environmental factors after the perinatal (around the actual birth) period, though I do believe something environmental could turn somebody with a predisposition to autism without autism, to someone with autism.

I agree with this

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 7:51 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
smudge wrote:
katy_rome wrote:
smudge wrote:
Bad parenting.

Interesting.
Elaborate?

All the autistics I’ve ever known who have had major struggles in life have all had parents who didn’t help them, didn’t believe in them and either ignored them or made too much of a fuss of how badly affected they were, and either way ruined their self esteem.

The question is "what causes autism?". Not "what makes life difficult for autistics?".
you're telling us that "once you have the condition you get bad parenting", but the question is "what causes the condition in the first place?".

I think bringing up the autistic child has a huge effect on how autistic they eventually become/appear. Like developing an deeper attachment to objects because of rejection. I mean, a lack of parents’ love and/or belief in the child has a massive impact on the child. But yeh, I guess that is another topic.

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2018, 7:57 pm

Twilightprincess wrote:
Yep. It was all worth it.

I've been thinking about having kids and I'm super scared, so this was reassuring to read

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2018, 9:01 pm

Anything that can cause dysfunction to the brain.

Like thyroid conditions.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

Goldilocks wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't believe it's caused by environmental factors after the perinatal (around the actual birth) period, though I do believe something environmental could turn somebody with a predisposition to autism without autism, to someone with autism.

I agree with this

Yes, it makes sense to me too.

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 8:18 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Anything that can cause dysfunction to the brain.

Like thyroid conditions.

Is this in your experience too, LoveNotHate?

katy_rome
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Mar 2018, 8:21 am

smudge wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
smudge wrote:
katy_rome wrote:
smudge wrote:
Bad parenting.

Interesting.
Elaborate?

I think bringing up the autistic child has a huge effect on how autistic they eventually become/appear. Like developing an deeper attachment to objects because of rejection. I mean, a lack of parents’ love and/or belief in the child has a massive impact on the child. But yeh, I guess that is another topic.

Yes i find that really interesting too... it's almost like there could be a sequence in losing trust:
1. People, 2. Animals 3. I dunno.. plants? nature? 4. Objects

Objects don't make sudden movements, they don't change much on their own (usually), they stay where you put them... they're pretty trustworthy.
People, ohmigod let's not go there. Terrifying 8O