Page 8 of 8 [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

How do we feel about self-diagnosis?
I have a medical diagnosis and I support self-diagnosis 38%  38%  [ 17 ]
I have a medical diagnosis and I do NOT support self-diagnosis 31%  31%  [ 14 ]
I am self-diagnosed and I support self-diagnosis 29%  29%  [ 13 ]
I am self-diagnosed but I feel like if someone is self-diagnosed they should get a medical diagnosis 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 45

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 7:35 pm

Any diagnosis of self or otherwise no matter how accurate it is if it helps a person have a better life is a success. A diagnosis self or otherwise that is significantly wrong likely to make a person unhappy in the long run.

In a medical context, the purpose of a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder is to get the patient proper "support". It says that right in the DSM 5 diagnostic manual. "Support" is designed to help people with their autistic symptoms. If they are helped they will most likely feel better. If people feel better they are more likely to have better outcomes or in a medical context, treatments are likely to be more successful.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jun 2020, 2:30 am

starkid wrote:
magz wrote:
starkid wrote:
In addition, "self-diagnosis" offer precisely zero of the benefits provided by a real diagnosis.

I disagree.
The answer for "what's been wrong with me for my all life?", if correct, is really useful, no matter who provides it.

First of all, how is a person going to determine whether her self-diagnosis is "correct"?

Second of all, self-diagnosis of autism is not an answer to that question. Self-diagnosis of autism is basically just the belief that one has autism and (if one tells others) the statement that one has autism. Beliefs and statements of belief don't provide answers to questions of objective fact; evidence provides answers.

The belief may reflect something true, and it may be well-informed, but only the evidence behind it (if there is any) can provide any answers about what is "wrong" with a person.
Same with the most official diagnosis. A diagnosis is a document that may or may not reflect the reality. With my history of a drastic misdiagnosis, I'm painfully aware of it.

starkid wrote:
Believing oneself to have autism or stating that one has autism doesn't really explain anything because the belief/statement says nothing about which autistic traits or struggles one has and because it says nothing about how one's autistic traits manifest or what effect they've had on one's life. "I have sensory sensitivities," "I have executive dysfunction," etc. are explanations. "I'm self-diagnosed with autism" explains nothing.
"Autism" is a package of such symptoms - social processing aberration, sensory issues, executive disfunction, being prone to meltdowns and/or shutdowns...
Yes, only the parts do explain anything but when you observe enough of the parts, it's reasonable to assume the whole.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 4:43 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
This is a support site for people who are neurodiverse, or recognise neurodiverse traits in their behaviour.

Trashing people's psycho-emotional awareness isn't supportive, and I don't believe it's welcome.

The moderators have already posted that self-identification is acceptable on this Planet, and inflammatory or provocative statements are against the rules.

Alex Plank wrote:
Conduct
-----------
The following activities are unacceptable on WrongPlanet:

Unacceptable content includes behavior intended to provoke or belittle other members.

Please stop flaming.

+1 This is an old routine, Starkid was at this othering of the self diagnosed in 2014. In fairness though, that was the accepted culture back then, I remember that her and StarTrekker weren't diagnosed when I joined but they like many on the site vehemently defended the anti self diagnosis climate. Any non conformists had better be good at fighting their corner.

We lost good people because of the discrimination and ageism here and lost many more that never posted/joined because they would be ostracised and experience more of the discrimination that they had already had a lifetime of, for being an "other" or simply different.

At one stage it was strangling the life out of this site, as the environment was hostile to all older people on the spectrum who even hinted that they were sure they had autism. Threads discussing autism were dominated by people who had an official diagnosis and led to a censoring of other voices through techniques such as above.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Jun 2020, 5:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Any diagnosis of self or otherwise no matter how accurate it is if it helps a person have a better life is a success. A diagnosis self or otherwise that is significantly wrong likely to make a person unhappy in the long run.

A "successful" diagnosis (official, unofficial or self) is one that leads to improvement of one's functioning and/or quality of life.
An "unsuccessful" diagnosis (again, official, unofficial or self) does not lead to any improvement, even if correct.
Some very unsuccessful diagnoses (like my past misdiagnosis) can lead to serious worsening of one's condition.

Yes, I'm a pragmatist in this resort.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 5:47 am

I wanted a dx to confirm that I wasn't wrong in my thinking that there was more going on than just severe mental illness . Has it improved things , separate from being near my stepdaughter(who provides great support) and being under a less blinkered and less hostile mental health trust? I don't think so. There's only so much that can practically be done to reverse the long standing ,43 years+ of poor psychiatric treatment .

That having been said the diagnosis hasn't made my life worse. I'm less cynically and readily dismissed as just another late middle aged, non-acute, patient with severe mental illness . The kind that gets pushed to the back of the queue , and treated like a second class service user. There should #chronic severely mentally ill people's lives matter.

teddybears_and_twirling
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2020, 5:50 am

starkid wrote:
You've help me prove my point: Self-diagnosis is nothing remotely like a real diagnosis, and self-diagnosed people tend to have suspicious and irrelevant ulterior motives for identifying with autism. You're admitting to using autism as a crutch for your self-esteem problems. Self-hatred has nothing to do with autism, and diagnoses of neurodevelopmental conditions are not intended to affect self-esteem or address problems with self-esteem.

starkid wrote:
Do you understand that healthy self-esteem comes from understanding and accepting oneself, not from a diagnosis?

Does not a diagnosis help with the understanding part? :roll:
My bad self-esteem stemmed from being shamed and bullied for stimming, for "being difficult" because of sensory issues, for being "weird"; in short for being autistic. So yes, my self-hatred had everything to do with autism. I had already worked on my self-esteem for years, but the understanding about autism really helped in finally accepting those parts about myself.

starkid wrote:
Believing oneself to have autism or stating that one has autism doesn't really explain anything because the belief/statement says nothing about which autistic traits or struggles one has and because it says nothing about how one's autistic traits manifest or what effect they've had on one's life. "I have sensory sensitivities," "I have executive dysfunction," etc. are explanations. "I'm self-diagnosed with autism" explains nothing.

"I'm professionally diagnosed with autism" explains nothing either, unless you go into detail about how your autistic traits manifest or what effect they've had on your life.

Saying "I'm autistic" is just way more convenient than providing you or anyone with a list of autistic traits that I have as "evidence" whenever I enter into a conversation with someone new. Most people will either have a general idea what being autistic might entail or they'll ask for further information.