Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 8 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 28  Next

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:36 pm

I wasn't able to read every post carefully, but did look for links.

Are there any places where one can take a good I.Q. test online?

I've never had an I.Q. test... not sure I want to know but maybe it would make sense for me to take one, since this seems to mean something to this site.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:36 pm

Tantybi wrote:
ruveyn wrote:
Tantybi wrote:
pezar wrote:
Do you find yourself adrift in a sea of idiots to the point where you want to pull your hair out, because they JUST DON'T GET IT after having the obvious explained to them a million times?

A true genius would know how to explain the obvious to an idiot so that the idiot would get it.

How would a True Genius explain a Calabri Yao manifold to a mundane dullwit?

ruveyn

How did you learn about it?

By reading the physics journals and lecture notes for graduate level physics course.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:40 pm

Callista wrote:
Why should geniuses be morally better than anyone else?

A genius sociopath would be downright dangerous.

There is a very weak correlation between being ethical and being very bright. A certain level of intelligence is required to know the difference between right and wrong, but after that there is no strong association or correlation.

Some of the so-called mentally ret*d folk who work at the local supermarket are among the most genial and good natured people I have ever met. They radiate a cheerful and genial aura. They are first rate people even if they have slow wits.

ruveyn

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:42 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I hover in the low 130's...but my strength lies in the sort of creativity that is not measured in standard iq tests...

That is what counts. Creativity and originality.

ruveyn

twoshots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:43 pm

ruveyn wrote:
There is a very weak correlation between being ethical and being very bright. A certain level of intelligence is required to know the difference between right and wrong, but after that there is no strong association or correlation.

Some of the so-called mentally ret*d folk who work at the local supermarket are among the most genial and good natured people I have ever met. They radiate a cheerful and genial aura. They are first rate people even if they have slow wits.

ruveyn

IQ correlates negatively with crime.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:44 pm

pezar wrote:
I was just wondering if there are any honest to god bona fide true geniuses here, the type of people who blow the doors off IQ tests of any type, and who can plot novels or new mathematical theorems in their heads. To be fair, you only count if you have a real test score, not just because your mom thinks you're smart. I don't have a real test score, so I don't count, but I do match some of the characteristics of a genius, some of which are AS traits too but I seem to have them at genius levels.

If you are an Aspie Genius, do you think you're being underutilized by society, an Einstein who is writing new theories of matter in between helping customers at the mini mart, but who couldn't become a real researcher because of AS? Do you write novels in between working three jobs-at age 18? Do people call you arrogant because you make them look like intellectual midgets? (Not that they aren't intellectual midgets, but being in the presence of somebody who isn't is rather disconcerting for them.)

Do you find yourself adrift in a sea of idiots to the point where you want to pull your hair out, because they JUST DON'T GET IT after having the obvious explained to them a million times? (I suppose that is how it would feel to be a Ron Paul supporter at the 2008 Democratic National Convention.) Do you just want to disappear into your special interests and a cabin in Montana? What is it like to be an Aspie Genius?

This thread may have been more convincing if the contributors had used their own name (as I have)? Why do supposedly challenging threads like this only involve people who won't use their own names?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 5:56 pm

Quote:
gwynfryn wrote:
[This thread may have been more convincing if the contributors had used their own name (as I have)? Why do supposedly challenging threads like this only involve people who won't use their own names?[/quote
]

i think you will find there are several on WP who use their own names and even have websites linked from their account page.

gwynfryn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 6:05 pm

millie wrote:
Quote:
gwynfryn wrote:
[This thread may have been more convincing if the contributors had used their own name (as I have)? Why do supposedly challenging threads like this only involve people who won't use their own names?[/quote
]

i think you will find there are several on WP who use their own names and even have websites linked from their account page.

Maybe so, but they don't do so habitually?

Are you really millie? Gwynfryn is my given name (I had no say in this) and, with lower case I've used it everywhere on the net! People who trouble to google for, for example, gwynfryn autism, will find all sorts of useful stuff!

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 6:08 pm

twoshots wrote:
ruveyn wrote:

ruveyn

IQ correlates negatively with crime.
It's only a correlation, though, and while I know you can't just ignore it, it doesn't mean a cause. Just thinking about the way our world considers intelligence to be ultra-important, and the way kids who score low on IQ tests are often left behind and told they won't amount to much, makes me consider very strongly that it isn't the IQ necessarily but the way these kids are raised and the way they're treated as adults that could predispose them to crime--essentially, a high IQ kid who was patronized, stuck in special ed, and told he should get a job as a janitor when he wanted to be a veterinarian would probably have the same trouble.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 6:13 pm

I met many, many VERY smart people in prison.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 6:40 pm

Hmm...that gives me an idea...marketing genius. Why not make a formula for genius out of the three focal points, develop a plan for becoming a genius, write about it, and sell it over television, internet and at conferences? Kind of like those folks who hold conferences on how to become rich owning and renting commercial properties...

Has it already been done?

Last edited by ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo on 17 Mar 2009, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 6:42 pm

millie wrote:

I find that very believable.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 7:51 pm

millie wrote:

I can believe that.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 8:00 pm

Quote:
ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Hmm...that gives me an idea...marketing genius. Why not make a formula for genius out of the three focal points, develop a plan for becoming a genius, write about it, and sell it over television, internet and at conferences? Kind of like those folks who hold conferences on how to become rich owning and renting commercial properties...

Has it already been done?

you could call yourself Anthonia Robbins.

ooanaoo (too many "o"s) I will manage you? split it 50-50
i'm in Australia - so we are talking globally. :lol:

Whimsi-Cal
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2009, 8:00 pm

Mine is 190 but I hardly think that IQ tests truly measure the totality of intelligence. There are people with low IQs that are geniuses in a given area of study/thought, ect.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2009, 8:05 pm

millie wrote:

It's only the dumb ones who are in prison.