First time in history!! !! The NT/AS open hotline ! !! !! !

Page 72 of 158 [ 2516 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75 ... 158  Next

Rate the idea
Good 35%  35%  [ 1197 ]
Good 36%  36%  [ 1246 ]
Bad 1%  1%  [ 32 ]
Bad 1%  1%  [ 32 ]
Good and bad 3%  3%  [ 118 ]
Good and bad 4%  4%  [ 126 ]
I'm indifferent 5%  5%  [ 166 ]
I'm indifferent 5%  5%  [ 176 ]
Greentea's crazy! / Greentea's king! / Let see those results 5%  5%  [ 172 ]
Greentea's crazy! / Greentea's king! / Let see those results 5%  5%  [ 176 ]
Total votes : 3441

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 3:55 pm

MathGirl wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been asked before already, but why do NTs and even some Aspies (surprisingly) have to have an implicit meaning within everything? It's so frustrating that you have to always be cautious about what you say in order to not mistakenly affect someone else emotionally. I know that this causes a lot of drama and negative feelings between NTs, who are apparently not always perfect at judging how other people will emotionally react to what they say or do, either.

So what's the point? It doesn't seem to be worth it. Why can't everyone just take everything at its face value, and not make any judgements beyond that?

Implied meanings aren't added. They are an inherent part of conversations, as much a natural component as body language and tone of voice. It is possible for an NT to edit them out if we think very carefully before saying each sentence to an AS person. I do my best to do this when talking to my daughter and anybody else who I know has AS. It's only fair, given that we ask precisely that of you, only in reverse. However, it is just as hard for us to strip away implied meaning as it is for you to divine it. This is a communication gap between us that requires both parties to speak in a way that is unnatural for them.

But wondering why we do it is like a deaf person wondering why hearing people insist on talking to each other when sign language and typing is so much more effective. When you don't utilize a particular channel of communication, it must seem wearying to spend your entire life adjusting to the people who use that channel constantly. But the people who use it constantly aren't about to stop using it unless they absolutely have to in order to communicate with somebody who doesn't use it. Taking things at face value and having no implied meanings is as difficult for NT people as using sign language is for hearing people. Which is to say, it's possible, but it's a form of communication which must be learned and practiced and which will subsequently only be used to communicate with people who don't communicate in the same way.

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2010, 9:42 pm

Thanks for the response. That just makes everything so much more hard and painful... *sigh*

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 5:35 pm

Question for the NTs: what do I have to say to explain that I like you, maybe I even love you, but if I'm forced to remain in your presence for another second I'm going to have a meltdown? Does not wanting to spend every second of every day together mean I have to utterly hate you? Why is communicating this an insult? WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!?! WHY DON'T I UTTERLY HATE YOU?!?!?! What hoop am I supposed to jump through to tell you that, yeah, I'm obviously upset, that's precisely WHY you need to GO AWAY AND FORGET I EXIST and do it ASAP?!?!?! STOP IT. How do I tell NTs not to assume that an involuntary show of negative emotion means I've invited them to come talk to me?!?!?!?! In what universe does that even make SENSE?!

(To all the NTs who are reading this and have not been interacting with me the last couple of days, sorry, it's not you I'm upset with.)

NOT A DOCTOR

DenvrDave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2010, 10:06 pm

DandelionFireworks wrote:
Question for the NTs: what do I have to say to explain that I like you, maybe I even love you, but if I'm forced to remain in your presence for another second I'm going to have a meltdown?

Wish I could help :( Most NTs don't even know what a meltdown is or what it means.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Dec 2010, 12:10 pm

Question for the NTs: what do I have to say to explain that I like you, maybe I even love you, but if I'm forced to remain in your presence for another second I'm going to have a meltdown?

I'm not NT, but can you tell them directly that you need time to yourself?

dunomapuka
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Dec 2010, 7:02 pm

Excellent posts, Janissy.

(Yay for rebelling in lockstep?)

So, how do you express yourself through clothing without making any statements about affiliation?

I agree with Janissy - you can't. The concepts of "expression" and "significance" evaporate if there's no social context for them. The expression has to be directed at an audience who evaluates it through the lens of their social world.

But couldn't you just be expressing something purely to yourself? Yes, in a sense, but it's equivalent to talking to yourself in a made-up language - from everyone else's point of view, it's gibberish.

(My views on the matter are derived from Ludwig Wittgenstein's book, the Philosophical Investigations. I think it would be a good book for Aspies to read, who want to understand the role of language in social interaction. I admit it's not the easiest thing to understand, though.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2010, 7:28 pm

Impius wrote:
I don't really have a question but more of an informative statement. I don't know if it's just a quirk of my personality, an Aspie trait or something everyone does.

When I am involved with my computer, phone or other device I lose track of time. I know that for many people "Time flies when having fun" but even when it's not fun, like reinstalling Windows after screwing it up, time still flies for me. Unfortunately, I lose track of time a lot. Not just when I'm doing my thing. It seems to be that when I am thinking about what I could be doing, like reinstalling Windows lol, I daydream almost and think I was gone to the store for 30 mins when I actually left 2 hours ago.

However, when folding laundry for example, time seems to slow to an interminable crawl and I get anxious and stressed. Sometimes I get tired and can actually go fall asleep for several hours.

Might sound odd, but the problem could be the way you cope with boredom. You find it boring, so you probably escape into thinking, when you might be better off bringing yourself to be one with the task instead of divided - the part of you with the task, and the part of you attempting to get away. Chase two rabbits, catch none. It's a Zen thing.

Quote:
I know that doing boring things sucks and it seems like forever whilst doing them but for me the effect seems to be amplified, especially when compared to my wife, who seems to be able to focus on the boring stuff just as well as other things.

I think the main difference and problem here is that while I am removed from my interest I feel constant anxiety. Also, the longer it takes to get back to it the more stressed out I get. So, when I am doing something like folding laundry it seems like more and more time is being added or like I'm on a staircase that sprouts two extra steps for each one I take.

Wow, that's pretty intense. So it's not just boredom, it's also anxiety. And then you're not only distracted by the boredom, but the anxiety fractures things even further. You might use some rational self talk, and some mindfulness of body so you can let any anxiety out.

Quote:
The bad news is that when I am in this anxious state I get stressed out easily and when I get stressed I get more anxious to do my thing (whatever it is at the time) which makes me more stressed and then I get angry at little things and suddenly I have a meltdown and either seclude myself or lash out at people for silly things.

I feel like a magnet is constantly sucking me toward whatever is on my mind at the time and every time my attention wavers from the task at hand it immediately snaps back to my activity. I remember watching the Temple Grandin movie and seeing the scene on the stairs when her mother is trying to get her to look away from the chandelier but as soon as mom removes her hand, the little girl’s heads snaps back to it.

Anyway, this has caused massive stress in my marriage and at work and while visiting family or friends etc but tonight I only truly came to the realization that my problem is being pulled away from my interest topic is what causes this 'irritated', 'stressed', 'nervous' (whatever it is) feeling all the time. I'm not saying that I am entitled to spending all day playing on the computer or anything I'm just saying that this is a stressor and the stress makes social niceties even more tiresome and creates problems.

You've got great insight into the problem, what it is and what causes it, so now you just need to implement an effective solution.

Clancy
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2010, 6:13 pm

What an excellent idea! I am NT ~ working in a doctors office, I have experienced many different people with many different diagnosis ~ I can typically tell if someone has "something going on" but frequently it isn't a problem for me. I find that most people react positively to being treated with respect and kindness ~ I understand that even if they can't engage me directly, they appreciate being treated like everyone else. Having said that, I have a question for Aspies ~ specifically, adults ~

My daughter has met a gentleman, 22, Aspie, who seems very much like an average guy ~ however, we have some concerns about him (there is a considerable age difference) and I'm trying to discern whether the things we are concerned about are Aspie traits or just who he is.

Here are a few things I have noticed and have learned from your site in the last 24 hours! :) 1 - He is brutally honest. 2 - He seems to have issues with being controlled in any way ~ well, not us controlling him, but having specific rules for our daughter which he must then abide by. 3 - He is very high energy ~ Aspie trait? ADHD? just him? 4 - repeats conversation topics a lot!! 5 - Seems to enjoy "pushing people's buttons" embarrasing them and the like, even making people mad. I guess this is a good start ~ looking forward to your responses ~~ Thank you all so much ~

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 3:12 am

Why are you concerned? Will it change things?

Look, if this worries you because these are bad signs to NTs, I wouldn't worry. But if it worries you because you and your daughter don't want to deal with her SO being that way, the frequency of the same traits occurring in the autistic population is irrelevant. You have no obligation to not be bothered by something because it's normal for Aspies, no more than I have any obligation to not be bothered by NTs just being NTs.

NOT A DOCTOR

Clancy
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2010, 9:59 am

Actually, I'm just trying to wrap my brain around a new situation ~ I handle things best when I understand them. Sorry to bother you.

dryad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Dec 2010, 1:39 pm

Clancy wrote:
My daughter has met a gentleman, 22, Aspie, who seems very much like an average guy ~ however, we have some concerns about him (there is a considerable age difference) and I'm trying to discern whether the things we are concerned about are Aspie traits or just who he is.

Here are a few things I have noticed and have learned from your site in the last 24 hours! :) 1 - He is brutally honest. 2 - He seems to have issues with being controlled in any way ~ well, not us controlling him, but having specific rules for our daughter which he must then abide by. 3 - He is very high energy ~ Aspie trait? ADHD? just him? 4 - repeats conversation topics a lot!! 5 - Seems to enjoy "pushing people's buttons" embarrasing them and the like, even making people mad. I guess this is a good start ~ looking forward to your responses ~~ Thank you all so much ~

Part of it may be Aspie, but in any case, it is who he is. The real question is whether your daughter wishes to be subject to his personality for an extended period of time. While everyone is capable of some change, the basic fundamentals of personality rarely change, so, Aspie or not, this is who he is, and the question is whether they're compatible. Only your daughter can answer that.

Chibi_Neko
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 5:28 pm

I have a question for any NT's out there. We widely know that people with ASD tend to speak without thinking and can come across as a jerk without meaning it.
Knowing what you know now about ASD, do you think twice before calling someone a jerk wither it's to their face or behind their back?

Clancy
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2010, 8:43 pm

Maybe I'm not really explaining my thoughts very well ~ my daughter and he get along fine ~ they seem to understand eachother and dont seem to have a lot of issues. It's other members of my family that are having difficulty in dealing with the relationship ~ for a myriad of reasons ~ the reason I wanted to know which traits are Aspie vs just who he is ~ is that, well, lets put it like this ~ your expectations are different. For example, you wouldn't ask a person who cannot see at all to read you a magazine article ~ you wouldn't expect them to be able to (assuming it is not in Braille). I actually had the opportunity to talk to his mom yesterday but I still didn't get the answers I'm searching for, perhaps I'm looking for answers to questions where there are no answers.

Clancy
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Dec 2010, 8:46 pm

Chibi ~ as you can see, I'm an Emu Egg (whatever the heck that means) ~ I was not aware that the blunt/ brutally honest thing was an Aspie trait 72 hours ago ~ so I can't say that I wouldnt be offended or put off by that ~ I'm still learning.....

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2010, 11:55 pm

Not bothered at all, so don't apologize. :D

1 is very common among Aspies. 2 seems to be more common than average. 3 isn't particularly common. 4 is nothing I've ever heard of unless you mean there are a few things he's way interested in and talks about all the time, in which case it's very common. 5 is not common at all, but only if you're correct that he's doing it on purpose. Appearing like that but doing it by accident is near-universal.

NOT A DOCTOR

Clancy
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Dec 2010, 3:36 am

Thanks, guys ~ I'll keep reading :)