Page 9 of 20 [ 305 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 7:53 am

katzefrau wrote:
great, Alex.

love the thing about shamanism. it's all a matter of perspective.

Great film, we have had a few documentaries here in the UK during the past few weeks but it is good to hear the views of American people regarding austism.

I found what Dr. Edward Hall said interesting. I was told by some spiritual healers that I should train with them as I seemed to be able to channel healing energy. I should investigate doing a course but as it is residential and amongst strangers I would find that difficult.

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2010, 12:04 pm

Temple Grandin, I have heard that name before...was it in the Horseboy? Anyone read the latter and connected the dots of autism and shamanism. I guess now I understand where my shamanic abilities come from...
I just happen toe see an Asssie docu on aspergers with different ages and boys, men and women are being interviewed, including this woman I see here. Forgot the name of the docu, but it was good!

persononplanet
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2010, 9:30 pm

i liked the video...
i got stuck on something at the beginning though, the shaman, he said something like
when you stop trying to be wise, then you'll get wisdom....
but isn't doing shamanic practices an attempt at gaining wisdom...
he didnt become a shaman by just sitting around im guessing -
so wut did he do - and my point is, if he did anything - that was an attempt at being wise - am i right?
but he said you'll get wise when you stop trying to be wise...
maybe my thinking is flawed, so let me know wut u think, cuz i wanna be a shaman,
but after hearing this guy talk, i got the thought that i should stop "trying" to do shamanic practices -
but that doesn't seem conducive to becoming a shaman to me - cuz i sit around now and do nothing
and im dumb as ever -
well actually today i went to the airport and learned a lot of stuff i didn't know before -
maybe he just put himself in a lot of situations, learned new stuff, now calls himself a shaman lol probably not - jk...
but yea

Loborojo
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2010, 3:19 am

Don't confound wise with knowledge and he probably means we already have in us, we don't have to try to be wise we are already and we just need to tap it.A shaman is born and not made. Look at it as a rough diamond, that you are (if you already have in you you just need to polish it, that's all).

pency
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jun 2010, 6:31 am

hi.
i am new here as of yesterday.

is alex the guy driving?
he is the guy who made the video?

great job! and wonderful video.

whoever the guy was driving w glasses (alex?) did a wonderful job of expressing things -
the phrase he used "mental expenditure" in order to live, appear "normal" etc were a perfect choice of words.
you/he are highly intelligent and have a great grasp of words. bravo!

the black woman bothered me.
the young guy who said he didn't like the premise of the question made sense as well.

the kids at the end - why were they there?
they seem out of place in this film.
the rest of the film was adults and then here are a few kids.
also, i see a lot of "rambunctious" (for lack of a better word) kids and i was quite calm.
internally i was always battling but i never "acted out"
it bothers me to see loud kids or screaming kids.
that is probably the main reason i went for so many years without even considering any for of autism or "ad(h)d"
i am 44 and in my day kids who acted out were just thought of as having bad behavior and were often destructive.

alex
Developer
Developer

02 Jun 2010, 8:17 am

pency wrote:
hi.
i am new here as of yesterday.

is alex the guy driving?
he is the guy who made the video?

yes. Thanks for the compliments.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2010, 10:53 am

The 'Autism Reality' film was like the opener in my son's history. He was born in 1953 when Asperger Syndrome was just an un-noted article in an obscure Austrian journal. Three hours after he was born his pediatrician observed him turning his head and looking around the nursery then told me he'd seen this off-the-wall behavior in boys before, didn't know what caused it, but knew the boy was going to be a problem. That was an understatement. Surviving life's inconsistencies is hard for diagnosed AS children; it was a nightmare for a small poorly co-ordinated boy with no grasp of social mores who was labeled high IQ. but clearly 'didn't get it.' jdenault

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 10:57 am

jdenault wrote:
The 'Autism Reality' film was like the opener in my son's history. He was born in 1953 when Asperger Syndrome was just an un-noted article in an obscure Austrian journal. Three hours after he was born his pediatrician observed him turning his head and looking around the nursery then told me he'd seen this off-the-wall behavior in boys before, didn't know what caused it, but knew the boy was going to be a problem. That was an understatement. Surviving life's inconsistencies is hard for diagnosed AS children; it was a nightmare for a small poorly co-ordinated boy with no grasp of social mores who was labeled high IQ. but clearly 'didn't get it.' jdenault

That's interesting. My son was born in 1998 and when he looked around like how you describe your son, they noted approvingly of how alert he was. He was diagnosed at 5 with Asperger's. Welcome to Wrong Planet jdenault :sunny: :flower:

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2010, 2:23 pm

Times make such a difference. My son's first child was born eight days ago. The baby's mother is relatively old to have a child. Like him, she is an engineer and the boy is also her first child. My son, his older sister and I went to see the baby in the nursery. He was turning side to side and staring at everything. Babies allegedly see little when first born but this boy was seeing what was in front of him. My daughter and I cracked up and said, "Pay back time." My son laughed. He was delighted and said he hoped the baby had Aspergers. Even with all the problems he had, he says he wouldn't want to lose his Aspergers capacity to come at things from the side.jdenault

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2010, 3:15 pm

I remember how my son would look around as early as when we first brought him home from the hospital. He was very alert right from the beginning.
That makes me wonder if kids with AS have a different visual experience at birth, or rather if they can focus more quickly than NT newborns.

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jun 2010, 3:27 pm

Interesting thought. Aspies have so many other neurological differences, I wouldn't be surprised if they arrive as seeing creatures. It was hard to tell if he was moving his eyes or shifting his head but he was obviously seeing something that interested him enough to keep his eyes open and seemed to be focusing them. jdenault

cazzie2010
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jun 2010, 2:50 pm

Going to watch this very soon looks very intresting to see..

jdenault
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2010, 4:39 pm

Where will you see it?

luvmyaspie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2010, 8:52 pm

Thank you Alex. That was so precise. You touched on some issues that my 14 yo son is presently dealing with. Must show this to all his teachers.

ksuther09
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Jul 2010, 6:05 pm

Wedge wrote:
Temple Grandin rocks!

Um, yes she does. I'm glad that her view was used in this video as well as the videographer's view. I think she's a role-model to pretty much all of us on the spectrum who know of her & her work :)

Grambo
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Jul 2010, 10:19 am

Very nice