Why do people on the spectrum look young for their age?

Page 9 of 11 [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

RandyG
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Aug 2013, 12:45 am

Fascinating. I had no idea this was a common trait.

I was carded for everything well into my thirties. That finally stopped when the hair began graying and receding, but people still think I'm about ten years younger than I really am.

Went to my high school reunion a year ago and was startled by how much some of the guys had aged. (The women go to a lot of trouble to disguise the signs of aging, so it's hard to comment on them.). Deep wrinkles, jowls, baggy eyes - its hard to be completely objective about one's own appearance, but I'm pretty sure I don't look like that.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 10:03 pm

I'm 19, but my Aunt - who hadn't seen me for 7 years - thought I looked 16/17. I sure feel more like I'm 17.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 10:07 pm

I did not know this was a Spectrum thing. I thought it was just me. I am glad to know it. I am in many ways stuck at certain very young ages, literally, my brain still responds that way in many ways. Maybe that is part of it. But whatever it is, I love it!! :D

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Aug 2013, 7:49 am

I've always looked young too! My last birthday (when I turned 31) I had a co-worker guess I was turning 21. And I still get carded everywhere they card people.

amaris74
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Aug 2013, 12:49 pm

I'm 39 and I look maybe 25. I hate it, although if I could be bothered wearing makeup, it would probably help a little. :?

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 88 of 200

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:08 am

My looks have been ravaged by cancer and the medications for it. I am old[60ish],and look my age and then some, BUT before I got sick I was ussually guessed as about ten years younger than my true age. It wasn't because I worried less, because I have always worried. it wasn't because of less facial expression either because I seem to be always scrunching up my face.
My husband says it is the innocence in my eyes and that I tend to avert my eyes similar to Princess Diana during the period she was referred to as "Shy Di."

PseudointellectualHorse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Aug 2013, 3:52 am

I find the theories in this thread interesting, and they sound plausible enough, although that doesn't make them correct. First, the majority of posters assert their appearance of relative youth, and I do too. Why? Yes, I habitually do not expose my skin to the sun's direct rays. Yes, my face is often neutral. Yes, my clothes are simple, and my mannerisms unsophisticated. Also -- and this factor would presumably be genetics unrelated to autism -- my hair isn't rushing to fall out or turn white. So overall, I seem to get more youth than the average NT. I say this with some irony, since my chronological period of childhood was problematic, especially because I was undiagnosed...you all know what I mean. So maybe I'm just using up that "childhood resource" that NTs consume and grow out of, but I'm doing it at a slower pace. The "physical age" thing hasn't rushed, which I guess is good. But the "maturity" or "mental age" thing hasn't rushed either, which maybe isn't so good. Well, we've got to just keep plodding in the right direction, that's all.

LonelyLoner

07 Aug 2013, 12:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I'm 22, but apparently I can pass for 16.

Same here. I'm 23 and people say "OMG I thought you were only 16!! ! hahaha"

It gets annoying, but I know I'll love it when I'm in my 30s 40s+

I think it's the way I dress too. my usual outfit is a shirt (mostly a guys size small) and some shorts, with black converse. Sometimes a knitted hat. But I don't do well with accessories! or flip flops and sandals. I notice girls my age and younger seem to like the wedge heels, all kinds of accessories and what not...pedicured nails...big round sunglasses...

asp123

07 Aug 2013, 4:10 pm

psychegots wrote:
Maybe a focus on comfortable clothing and not very fashion-oriented looks give a childish impression in many cases? - At least for girls...!

We may also give off a child like impression due to under developed social skills maybe? - That is probably most relevant for teenagers/adolescents.

I doubt there is any real physical difference.

Yeah I totally agree With you. I use comfortable clothes, never brushes my hair, no makeup and hoodies is all i have

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 4:18 pm

asp123 wrote:
psychegots wrote:
Maybe a focus on comfortable clothing and not very fashion-oriented looks give a childish impression in many cases? - At least for girls...!

We may also give off a child like impression due to under developed social skills maybe? - That is probably most relevant for teenagers/adolescents.

Yeah I totally agree With you. I use comfortable clothes, never brushes my hair, no makeup and hoodies is all i have
I never wear makeup either. I only wore it when I had to but to show you how little that was my makeup would actually go bad so I would have to keep throwing it away. I wear mostly tshirts and shorts or jeans too and crocs or sneakers or keens. I usually just throw my hair in a ponytail and call it a day! :)

By the way Asp123, is that your puppy? He or she is adorable!

Forkliftoperator
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2013, 11:08 pm

27 and still get carded at beer stores, smoke shops, and bars.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 3:07 am

goodwitchy wrote:
psychegots wrote:

; ) and also possibly hair style (or more accurately a lack there of in many cases), and perhaps wearing no or hardly any make-up?

Oh yes, that´s so true for me. I am always told that I look younger than I am.

NarcissusSavage
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 8:45 am

All of this is opinion, my opinion:

People with ASD very often have distinct facial features unique to the spectrum, all of which are "young" traits.
People with ASD tend to express less emotions, thus less wear on the facial skin.
There is likely a case to be made that people with ASD get less sun than the average NT.
People with ASD are likely avoidant of major stress factors in life.

Alternatively, "Aliens".

Aspendos
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Aug 2013, 11:46 am

I look ten years older than I am. Always did, even as a teen.

Jonov
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2013, 11:50 am

Quite often I have to show my ID to buy smokes and the legal age here is 16 ><, now I just don't shave for a week before I buy them.

weirdrubikscube
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Aug 2013, 9:28 am

yeah I'm 32 and people still think I'm 16 or 18. I don't have wrinkles yet.

it's funny cause I suspect my dad to be aspie and he always looked young as well.