1Million Dollars Vs Lose Your Aspergers.

Page 9 of 10 [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Which would you pick
1 Million untaxed dollars 88%  88%  [ 127 ]
Cure your aspergers forever 12%  12%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 145

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm

IHaveAsgergers1 wrote:
Which would you pick.

also before you say keep the aspergers, understand that some people with aspergers have undercover health problems.

Show me the money!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 11:01 pm

AJisHere wrote:
zkydz wrote:
I can see how things would be different being diagnosed early in life would make a difference. What you say makes sense.

I can only begin to imagine what it would have been like to grow up without that knowledge, let alone live decades without it. I've never actually experienced not being aware that I have Asperger's. My understanding of it changed, but the awareness was there as soon as I was able to grasp the concept.

Well, I can tell you that for the last 10 years I have been trying to figure why things keep happening. When you are not aware of what is really happening, or how you are 'happening' in front of people really makes things difficult. The patterns of failure over 40 years of working and more than that just existing do become clear.

Here is an example of one of the things I have cycled through trying to get through:
At one time I thought I had some sort of aphasia. Link to definition: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/Aphasia/

I was aware that I was having trouble communicating. I was wondering if I was not speaking clearly or using wrong words.

You grow up being called snob and jerk and always being pulled into the principals office because 'you should know better.'

There were many things that ruled it out immediately. But, you search and search and search to figure why things are the way they are.

You wind up treating symptoms instead of the root cause.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 11:20 pm

zkydz wrote:
Well, I can tell you that for the last 10 years I have been trying to figure why things keep happening. When you are not aware of what is really happening, or how you are 'happening' in front of people really makes things difficult. The patterns of failure over 40 years of working and more than that just existing do become clear.

Here is an example of one of the things I have cycled through trying to get through:
At one time I thought I had some sort of aphasia. Link to definition: http://www.asha.org/public/speech/disorders/Aphasia/

I was aware that I was having trouble communicating. I was wondering if I was not speaking clearly or using wrong words.

You grow up being called snob and jerk and always being pulled into the principals office because 'you should know better.'

There were many things that ruled it out immediately. But, you search and search and search to figure why things are the way they are.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Kind of starts you on the back foot. A lot of who we are develops when we're very young, too. The flip side for me is that as I've learned more about autism, certain traits I didn't associate with it are put suddenly into context. A lot of them are stuff I'd never actually had to think about before!

Jamieohs
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Jan 2016, 8:08 am

Easy, I'd take the million bucks, blow all of it on cars then go back to being broke again

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2016, 10:27 am

I'm not "diseased" or "broken." I need to be cured like I need to have my eyes gouged out by an angry mutant cat. I'd take the money and run.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 10:42 am

In Canada health care is free, and even if it wasn't I don't wish to be "cured", so I'll take the million dollars any day. I can use to indulge even more in my incredibly bizarre, possibly-a-trait-of-a-potential-mass-murderer habits, such as sleeping with my socks on at night or eating pizza with a fork. Oh the bizarre-ness! :P

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 10:44 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
......my incredibly bizarre, possibly-a-trait-of-a-potential-mass-murderer habits, such as sleeping with my socks on at night or eating pizza with a fork. Oh the bizarre-ness! :P
Wow...spoken so soon after the pizza wars of late night TV.....

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 2:01 pm

AJisHere wrote:
zkydz wrote:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Kind of starts you on the back foot. A lot of who we are develops when we're very young, too. The flip side for me is that as I've learned more about autism, certain traits I didn't associate with it are put suddenly into context. A lot of them are stuff I'd never actually had to think about before!

This is why I get so upset with the popular ideas that

There are hordes of Aspie wannabees doing it to be trendy or to make excuses
It is massively over diagnosed
Just try harder
If you can write you and have no right to have an opinion because you do not have real autism

Our decades of autistic experience are usually ignored in discussions about us.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 2:28 pm

^^^^To follow up and give a concrete example of how not knowing can create a series of bad decisions.

In 1999 I went into a program that put me in VESSID (Now a different name). Now, VESSID would have covered any part of my educational requirements. I was a commercial artist. I'd had success. I stumbled. But, I could be a commercial artist again. I did it once!! I could do it AGAIN!! BWAH-ha-ha-ha...

And it was the absolutely wrong decision.

I should have gone into the sciences or something that would have not put me into the spotlight, would not have put me in large social situations, etc, etc.

Now, almost 20 years later, I am back at square one. I don't think I should expect such a great opportunity again. But, the ability to make an informed decision should be just as good.

It's not fun to start over at 39. And THEN have to start over at 55 is really not fun either.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

selflessness
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2016, 3:32 pm

Definitely would take the money. Then I'd distribute the money among some close friends to help kickstart their careers since they'd be able to put it to much better use. And keep a little to myself to spend on entertainment. I don't care for possessions, in the end we lose everything anyways so it's best to live life now. Never know when it ends.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 3:36 pm

I don't get it. Why do some aspies think that being "cured" will solve all their problems? Everyone has problems, no matter what.

I know money can't buy happiness, but it sure would make my misery a lot more fun. :)

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 3:56 pm

I like what Mark Cuban said about money:
"If you weren't happy yesterday, you won't be happy tomorrow. It's money. It's not happiness.
If you were happy yesterday, you are going to be a lot happier tomorrow. It's money. Life gets easier when you don't have to worry about the bills."

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 5:04 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't get it. Why do some aspies think that being "cured" will solve all their problems? Everyone has problems, no matter what.

I know money can't buy happiness, but it sure would make my misery a lot more fun. :)

I don't know. I certainly don't think such a cure would solve my problems. I do think it would put me in a far better position to solve them, though.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Jan 2016, 1:05 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

At least they'll be much more likely to find a mate and sympathy from others.. Some of the richest people are the most miserable people..
With all the money Michael Jackson had he couldn't fix all his problems even with the best surgeons and cosmetics known to man.. It's the same way with ASD, the condition makes life so much more challenging with your peers that you aren't even recognized as a human being but like an alien or other mysterious creature.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 10:58 am

I'd choose the 1 Million Dollars any day. I like my unique pea flavoured way of looking at the world.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 11:25 am

Neither, I have no need for a million dollars and I do not wish to be "cured" of being an Aspie.