What was your wierdest obsession growing up?

Page 9 of 10 [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

sillycat
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Aug 2012, 2:43 pm

Wandering_Stranger wrote:
Serial killers

>>> I know what you mean. I went through my obsession with real crime (ie Serial killers) phase. (Thanks to classic cop shows of the 80's-90's, (the real crime shows like Cold Case Files), or those detective=court shows. (that probably served as the inspiration for Phoenix wright). Where the littlest clue still nabs a pedobear killer.

Cyd
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Aug 2012, 3:56 pm

That's easy - I was alone in a world of crazy people. I was obsessed with keeping my head down and being "invisible".

I had a "freak of nature" IQ, an equally freaky "lack of ambition" and emitted a "scary" vibe when people tried to make me do something I didn't want to do.

I was obsessed with learning as much as I could about "the crazies" so I could either stay out of their way or break ranks, leaving as little evidence as possible.

Now, I read Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe and watch Dr. Who, Psych, Eureka and anything with Stephen Fry. Otherwise I invent things in my head and write as I'm not very interested in things that have already been invented or considered. I am also interested in certain "potential" aspects of Quantum Mechanics.

Mindsigh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 4:53 pm

Cyd wrote:
That's easy - I was alone in a world of crazy people. I was obsessed with keeping my head down and being "invisible".

I had a "freak of nature" IQ, an equally freaky "lack of ambition" and emitted a "scary" vibe when people tried to make me do something I didn't want to do.

I was obsessed with learning as much as I could about "the crazies" so I could either stay out of their way or break ranks, leaving as little evidence as possible.

Now, I read Sherlock Holmes, Nero Wolfe and watch Dr. Who, Psych, Eureka and anything with Stephen Fry. Otherwise I invent things in my head and write as I'm not very interested in things that have already been invented or considered. I am also interested in certain "potential" aspects of Quantum Mechanics.

Have you read any of Stephen Fry's novels?

When I was 5, I could tell you every cat breed, cat history, anything cat. Then when I was 7, I read the Chronicles of Narnia series and got obssessed with trying to climb into the coat closet at my school and go there. I thought all the kids in my class had read the books, and I couldn't figure out why nobody else wanted to try to go.

theoddone
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Aug 2012, 5:59 pm

Well my first obsession was probably the most odd, but it isn't really bizarre. My first obsession was human anatomy and physiology. It was the longest lived obsession I've had, and it started approxamitely in 1st grade and lasted until sometime in sixth grade when adolescence started to kick in. I still enjoy learning about antomy and physiology; just not as much I did in my younger years.. My next obsession that followed the previous one mentioned one was ghosts, and ranted more about ghosts than I did anatomy/physiology, and it annoyed a lot of people, but I couldn't help it. I just wanted to share my love and knowledge for them. I also rented out almost all the ghost books in my middle school's library. It was the only obsession to help me get over a fear. However that obsession was short lived since it lasted two years. My next and current obsession is art, specifically drawing and painting, and this current one showed me my natural ability in art. I still enjoy partaking in my old obsessions but it isn't as strong as they used to be. I still retain the knowledge of my previous obsessions. I have a better understanding of human anatomy/physiology than most of my peers. I'm proud of my obsessions because it made me who I am now.

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 6:41 pm

Well, when I was really little, I had this VHS tape of old Warner Bros. cartoons that had this cute little animated short made by puppeteer George Pal - it was called "Tubby the Tuba."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1uix9Qy8Nc[/youtube]

...I can actually remember dancing to the music as it rose to its crescendo at 2:37....

I thought Tubby was just adorable in it, and I'm sure that this cartoon (along with The Brave Little Toaster, Susie the Little Blue Coupe, and the Chevron Cars) was what started my special interest with anthropomorphic appliances, Cars, etc. Like other cartoon characters I liked, I began to think of him as sort of an imaginary friend, and wished I had a real tuba to hug....IDK, he just looked really cuddly in the cartoon, lol.

...Where my Tubby obsession got kinda weird, however, was that my mom was running a music and the arts program from our home at the time, and when she would bring me along to a concert she was coordinating and there happened to be someone with a tuba, I would pester her with, "Mom, Mom, can I go play with Tubby the tuba?" during pretty much the whole thing, lol. :roll:

Can you blame me, tho? I mean, if you watched the embedded video, you saw how cute he is. :heart:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 7:54 pm

Khandov wrote:
I was once obsessed with pretending to be a T-rex.

Ohhh....a kindred spirit.....I was once obsessed with pretending to be an octopus.

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2012, 11:48 pm

My weirdest obsession was high-line wires. I don't even know why I found them so interesting. When I was four or five years old, I would see different high-line wires as cats, cattle, or bugs. I also wondered what the airplane guides on the wires were. I found some weird crap interesting when I was a child. Some of my other obsessions were the Lion King, Winnie the Pooh, sewers, ducks, Sesame Street, and robots.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Mar 2023, 8:50 pm

I was obsessed with a very specific thing when i comes to water. I enjoyed see men trapped underwater up to the breaking point. I never really liked for anybody to die. i think its from me almost drowning and some buried resentment to strong men because i didn't have one growing up. it's so incredibly specific and sort of rare. you guys ever notice the texture of the eyes underwater? almost like jello or something. i would do the watch and rewind on movie scenes...good example is "the Hunley" and "Poseidon" except i didn't want him to die. being underwater is so unpredictable. this is probably the only place i feel say to share this. for now

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 11:58 pm

:o

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 9:19 am

Boxes.

Stacking them, fitting myself in it, keeping things in it... Pretend it's a locker, pretend it's a house, pretend it's a TV...

It's very much a favorite toy I had next to my own hair and fingers.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 4:56 am

quietly smooth riding cars.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:47 am

When I was a kid I was into reading about sailing ships. Knew every rig:brig, brigatine, sloop, schooner, topsail schooner, ketch, etc.

So I get livid when I hear Al Roker refer to "the Eagle" (American Coast Guard sailing ship) as a "schooner". Sacrilege! Its a "three mast bark". Not a "schooner".

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:55 am

older cadillacs

Fairfield
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 6:17 am

Anatomy, I guess? It's probably still my "weirdest" obsession since it's the most somewhat socially unacceptable. People get creeped out if you tell them you're interested in the anatomy of living things, like you're a budding serial killer or something, no matter how tame the interest actually is. lmao

Niktereuto

11 Mar 2023, 9:35 am

When I was 15 yo, it was Alaskan Malamutes (dog breed) and some other Nordic origin breeds (Siberian Husky, Samoyed, etc). I knew all about these breeds, especially about Alaskan Malamute. My long-term memory is not good, so I have already forgot all.

I think that my interest in Alaskan Malamutes leaded me to my recent interests in this way:
Alaskan Malamute > Mushing > Inuit > Inuktitut > Languages with a script different than Latin script > Russian > Cyrillic alphabet > Japanese > Japanese culture > Anime > Kotonoha Amrilato > Esperanto > Languages in general.

Elgee
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Mar 2023, 12:40 pm

I don't know if I posted here, but I'll happily repeat if so. Oddball interests in childhood:

1) Comas. I often imagined what it was like to be in one. I wanted to get bonked on the head hard enough to be unconscious.

2) Had a peculiar interest in phone number exchanges, but I wouldn't call it a hyperfixation.

3) Window roller shades! I always got excited when, while in the car passing houses, I saw shades, particularly for very large windows or tiny windows.

4) Car tunks that curved up. I'd sit at the living room window to see if any "curve-ups" went by. I'd ask family members, "How come it curves up that way?"

5) A missing boys case, even though I didn't know these cousins who were 6 and 7 and eventually found murdered.

6) Houseplants, though I'd say this was a grey area because I wasn't able to run with it (it required money and room in the house, and my mother once said, "We have TOO MANY PLANTS!")

7) "Of Mice and Men" I just so wanted to be IN that story and save Lennie!

8) I'd look at people's shoes to see how much the heel was worn down. I wasn't hyperfixated, but I was INTERESTED, and you must admit, this is one weird AF interest.