Page 9 of 12 [ 189 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2011, 9:01 pm

That's understandable. I forget things that I don't use on a daily basis. But the concepts in my mind, and the understanding, that never leaves me. Perhaps because I do use it?

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2011, 10:51 am

pensieve wrote:
SammichEater wrote:
Sometimes I don't even realize just how good at math I am.

To me, I'm normal at math. But for some reason, 99% of the people I know don't understand it. I don't understand how it's possible not to get it. It all just makes sense to me.

The math side of my brain is still under construction. However, Ritalin helps me concentrate and organise myself better so I'm able to work problems out.
So it's a chemical thing with me but also I just don't remember it well. If I don't use it (and I probably won't) I'll forget about it.

It's simple:

Math has about a gazillion rules that govern how you're supposed to move a bunch of arbitrary symbols around a piece of paper. If you're unable to keep all of those rules straight in your head, you're up the creek without a paddle. Personally, I never found math to be the least bit "logical," it was just a bunch of made-up junk humans invented to describe natural processes. And it really didn't help that I'm eternally getting numbers backwards and twisted around (for me, there's really no difference between 654 and 465 and 564).

Besides, in the U.S., teachers never explain WHY math works the way it does. They give you steps to memorize, or formulas to copy, and you're expected to mindlessly calculate answers sans explanation. Additionally, there's very little support for math-challenged students; slow-readers get extra help and attention, but poor math students get screamed at and are derided for being "stupid."

Anyway, that's why some of us don't "get it."

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tassadar
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Sep 2011, 6:22 pm

My math skills are relatively bad, but my physics and astrophysics skills are superb :D

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2011, 6:26 am

I have the ability to do very rapid mental arithmetic and I came 260th in the UK for secondary school kids when I was 17 in a national mathematical challenge.

However I cannot see images in my head, and I don't know how on earth I even calculate most of the mental arithmetic I do. I just output an answer. I often output the answer before I've even finished writing out the sum or equation.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2011, 8:11 pm

I'm absolutely terrible at math. I don't even know how I have made this far.

retrom
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2011, 2:23 am

I used to be really, really great at math but I got some problems in the past few years somehow that are really slowing me down. Im still great, but I used to be even better.

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

25 Sep 2011, 2:37 am

I'm so awful at math it's ridiculous, I'm taking elementary algebra at my university and the moment we hit formulas I just lost it. It makes me wonder how I got this far to be honest =D

Secret_Helper
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Sep 2011, 10:38 am

I'm real good at math. In my mind math is easy and straight forward. Im in Pre-Calc in college so I am just as good as any other students in that class. It dose not mean that I am super good at it or enjoy it. But I do agree that aspies being real good at math is still a myth.

werewolf
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2011, 11:33 am

I was quite good compared to other children in totally average or even worse school. But after 8 years of not much need for math and now in technical university where there are people who mostly graduated recently schools which give excellent education in math - I felt like an idiot the whole first year : )
But I feel I am grasping science better than these younger people on average. And re-learning math. Although I don't think I would ever, even if would become good at it, develop that special love for math that I have for physics for example.

I think I am much better at these areas of math in which I see a practical point and which do not require remembering of many formulas.

Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Sep 2011, 3:49 pm

I have no math skills whatsoever.

LittleBlackCat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 5:39 pm

I was very good at maths at school. I suspect that this is largely because maths operates on systems of rules and logic and I like rules and logic. I also have (had?) a very high IQ. I particularly enjoyed algebra. I wouldn't be very good at it now though, apart from basic sums, because I have long since forgotten most of the rules. The evidence on here would seem to suggest that this has nothing to do with Aspergers however.

TB_Samurai
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 8:17 pm

I am terrible at math. So terrible that I only know how to do addition and subtraction. I can do division and multiplication too, but only with a calculator. Someone once told me that I don't have Asperger's because I'm not good at math.

Munin
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Nov 2013, 8:39 pm

I'm diagnosed with Aspergers and I can handle some types of math. I like geometry because it's visual. To some extent (apparently better than many people)I can intuitively manipulate shapes in my imagination. Angles, degrees, etc. make a lot of sense to me, because you can physically see how they work. Abstract math and algebra are awful for me. I can get by, but it takes a great amount of effort for me to understand. It makes no sense to me because I can't "see" the math working, and shuffling arbitrary symbols doesn't mean much to me. All my English teachers, on the other hand, said that I was one of the best writers they had ever taught.

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2013, 11:01 pm

Munin wrote:
I'm diagnosed with Aspergers and I can handle some types of math. I like geometry because it's visual. To some extent (apparently better than many people)I can intuitively manipulate shapes in my imagination. Angles, degrees, etc. make a lot of sense to me, because you can physically see how they work. Abstract math and algebra are awful for me. I can get by, but it takes a great amount of effort for me to understand. It makes no sense to me because I can't "see" the math working, and shuffling arbitrary symbols doesn't mean much to me. All my English teachers, on the other hand, said that I was one of the best writers they had ever taught.

I'm almost the exact opposite.
Numbers and abstract logical constructions using them make perfect sense to me, I have an intuitive feel for numbers and the ways they interact.
On the other hand, I have an almost complete disconnect between numbers and anything concrete like pictures (graphs, etc.) or music.
I understand that there is a relationship and can trace it point by point if necessary, but I can't look at an equation and have any idea what the graph would look like, or vice-versa.
So while I just 'get' numbers and math, the application to real world things often eludes me if it deals with things like spatial reasoning or translating numbers into things like pictures and music, although my intuitive feel for odds and percentages has often proven useful in various situations.

Strangely enough, especially for an aspie apparently, my skills at math and logic are only really exceeded by my reading comprehension skills which are off the charts and always have been.
By 2nd grade I was reading and understanding at a 12th grade level.
I'm not a very good writer, though, for some reason.

Jobie1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2014, 9:01 am

I have genius IQ but am terrible at maths ... My skill is finding patterns in things verbally and visually, I always thought I was thick because I was so terrible at maths in school! :?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 9:03 am

I am horrible at math, a 3rd grader who's behind on their math skills would probably be better at math than I am.