Page 9 of 20 [ 320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 20  Next

intense
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 10:50 am

I'm always being told I look younger than my age just yesterday in fact :D But I no longer drink I have never smoked and I keep covered up in the sun plus I don't have the most expressive face so I suppose all that helps a bit.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 11:22 am

I've not been asked for ID since I was 19 ... I find it always helped to have some facial hair - or not shaving. The last time I was asked for ID was at a self service till, it was for a magazine (not top shelf stuff) so I had to wait while "Please wait for assistance..." was displayed and the boy there asked for ID, at which point I almost laughed as I was sure he looked about 17/18. I had ID on me, but I would not be happy if I didn't.
Why do people always know when you not got ID? They always ask you for it when you haven't got it?
When you DO have it, they don't care, how do they know?

Barracuda
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 2:12 pm

I went to do the Iron Man at my scout camp two years ago. (I was 17) you must be 13 to do the Iron Man there. Following exchange occured.

Counselor: So you're what, 13.
Me: 17.
Counselor: (sheepish look) oh.

yeah...

This is really interesting, thought, because my Valconis counterpart of AS had looking much, much younger as a symptom... The things that I am right about...

CMaximus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Sep 2008, 3:02 pm

If anything, I'd say I look a bit older than I really am. If anyone mistook me for being younger, it'd probably be because of my behavior. :wink:

ChristinaCSB
Toucan
Toucan

05 Sep 2008, 3:21 pm

I tend to look younger, but I am not sure why.

ShawnWilliam
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 4:47 pm

people are always surprised at my age because i look and seem young

scorpion42
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Sep 2008, 5:18 pm

Isthisreal wrote:
Quote:
Lack of facial expressions?

I believe you're correct.
Less facial expressions= less wrinkles= looking younger

I had thought about this before and this was the answer I came up with.

I am 65 and look way younger than I am. Slim and in shape as I do a lot of walking (4 to 6 miles a day, as for me its the best anti-depressant) and not much facial expressions, getting old its great and it's cheaper than Botox (grin and frown only for me) so no wrinkles around my eyes, and I also don't give a hoot as far as clothing goes, I wear what I like. Also I remember an English study where how you felt someone you age should look affected the way you look. I am 65 going on 16 as far as emotions go, so It could explain why some Aspies like me may be looking and feeling younger as I don't feel the pressure of looking like a 'old granny' to fit the bill and what society expect of old folks.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2008, 7:05 pm

I get ID-d all the time. I do have some gray hair though and had it since I was about 21 but that runs in my family. I got stuck mentally at about 15 and what's worse never grew proper boobs :wink:

radclyffe59
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

08 Dec 2008, 10:16 am

I'm 34 and I just got IDed buying a bottle of wine...

EnglishLulu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:22 am

Last time I was ID checked like that was when I was carded going into a bar/club in New York with a friend when I was 30 years old.

The biggest mistake someone has made recently about my age was when one of the guests at my daughter's wedding in May asked if I was her sister! He was really embarrassed when I laughed and said, no, actually, I'm her mother! :lol:

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:32 am

Last year when I was eighteen, someone thought I was ten! 8O At nineteen, though, things have improved for me. People now guess I'm around sixteen to eighteen. Being short and thin definitely doesn't help me though.

Prosser
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:33 am

I guess it might have something to do with the lack of facial strain. I don't really put on any facial expression so my face probably won't age too quickly, I assume it's the same for many of you.

Apatura
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 10:53 am

anna-banana wrote:
never grew proper boobs :wink:

Join the club!! :roll: :lol:

I think most of the probable reasons have been covered... awkward body language/ speaking/ facial expression (which would come across as immature), lack of hardcore partying (which means less drinking/ drugs... though I'm not saying aspies don't have substance abuse problems), sensory issues that might make one averse to smoking, staying inside a lot = less sun exposure. Food aversion issues that prevent one from getting obese.

I bet, though, that it is mostly our socially "odd" demeanor that is interpreted as unsophisticated or immature.

Sorenna
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 11:00 am

I've wondered, too.

For each it may be different. FOr me, I think my brain quit around 14. It seems I can never get beyhond adolscence.

Kirska
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2008, 11:11 am

I'm 22 and often get mistaken as a high school visitor to the college.

Doesn't ever happen when I'm dressed up for an interview, though, so sometimes I wonder if it's just the way I dress.

I went on a date when I was 18 and I got carded on the way into an R-rated movie. So embarrassing. They don't really care if you're 16 or 17 or whatever... they had to think I was 14 or 15.

hal9000
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Dec 2008, 12:37 pm

One co-worker openly told me that she doesn't consider me a 'man' and that i look more like a boy. She didn't mean it in a malicious way, she said it matter of factly. I'm 31.