greenturtle74’s Cartoon Guide to Asperger’s

Page 10 of 43 [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 43  Next

FractaLove358
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Apr 2010, 11:03 am

Haha. I loved it. :D

Lost_For_Words
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Apr 2010, 9:21 am

Greenturtle74 \ All,

I have just sobbed viewing your cartoon sketch Greenturtle.

My girlfriend suggested only last night after 2 years of feeling 'different' that I may have Aspergers syndrome.

Much research has brought me here and your cartoon makes me feel somewhat 'normal' again knowing that I may have found the reason for being different and that there are others like me.

Regards,

Lost_For_Words

Lost_For_Words
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2010, 8:20 am

OK, not quite the response I expected 24hrs later.

Maybe it was the way I communicated with you, tone of voice (or message) or was it that you could not empathise and talk back, just like me, otherwise called a taste of my own medicine.

Thank you for your support anyway.

Regards,

Lost_For_Words

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Apr 2010, 9:50 am

The cartoon was AMAZING! I love it and read it over and over again! It seems to be TOTALLY ME!

I know that at one point you were feeling down about having done it because of the reaction of people who, in the broader scheme of things, DON'T MATTER. But what you have done is truly a wonderful thing.

Your reaction to those others speaks volumes as there are clearly some issues there - whether it's an ASD or not. However, your understanding and ability to relate what and how you feel seem remarkable. That other diagnosed Aspies relate to it so well speaks volumes.

I encourage you to shake off the haters and continue on your mission. There is a greater force at work using you to reach other people - like me. This has given me more clarity and helps me in my daily living as I am certain that it helps countless others.

WOW!

Epilefftic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2010, 9:15 pm

That comic was made me smile :o , it made me remember Captain Caveman

Kuramu
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 May 2010, 2:05 pm

Haha, I loved this comic! It was cute, cartoony, yet informative.
I can completely relate to the context panel. I often won't recognize people, such as my classmates, outside of the places that I normally see them. The same applies to a group of people as well. Say, for example, if I bump into a classmate X over the summer in a place like a convention, it will take me awhile to recognize that it's X. Like, "Huh, who are you? ... OH YEAH, hi." This will sometimes happen even with family members when they're walking towards me from far away.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 May 2010, 9:20 am

Yeah...it happens to me, too. Trying to pick out friends faces at a picnic...things like that.

It takes me a minute, and when it happens I offend people. One time I did it and it almost broke up a really meaningful friendship.

Another time, I walked completely past someone without realizing he was there. He called me later and told me so. He thought it was funny!

And yes, it happens with family sometimes...when they come from out-of-town and I have to pick them up from the airport and find them in the bag claim.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2010, 3:53 pm

Cartoons revisited topic

Should be syndicated. :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

LadybugQ
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Jun 2010, 7:50 pm

This is tremendous! Thank you for giving your permission for us to use! Just gotta figure out how to save it on something!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2010, 1:12 pm

I'm writing this on 4 June 2010...
GUESS WHAT, Aspies!! !! !! !! !! !! Oh, we are lucky after all! Apparently, in 2 years to come, there's going to be a cure for Autism! They've got something to make us real NTs!! !! !! !! ! WOW!! !! !! !! !! ! Even if it costs 500 pounds I'm having it done!! !! !! !! f*****g hell, am I having it done! I'd die for it! Oh! Oh! I'm SO excited!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!
Think about it: you'd go to work and KNOW what to say to collegues! You'll be popular! You'll be social! You won't be odd any more! Getting a new job won't be an issue or a struggle!
I won't be obsessed with buses and Europe any more! I won't scream and have a tantrum when it snows! I will start wearing make-up and fashion! I won't hold an unconfident face and be agoraphobic in the street! I won't have anger in me! I'll smile! Loud noises won't worry me! I won't care about routine! Ohhh, this will change my life! Wow............ me being a real NT! I could put my Aspie life behind me, and bring out my inner personality! Inside of me, I have an NT screaming to get out! It's just this AS what's keeping it in.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 8:35 pm

Great cartoon. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Matt88
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jun 2010, 3:57 am

Haha very good cartoon.

edcop100
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2010, 10:23 pm

awesome , def gonna use it :D

grendel
Toucan
Toucan

21 Jun 2010, 12:54 am

Just seeing these now, they are really great Greenturtle. I hope you are feeling better than your last post now. I too found a great relief in the explanation that Asperger's brought me when I initially found it, and in talking to fellow Aspie's about it, but my attempts to explain it to people that don't have Asperger's has been very defeating and unhappy and made me feel like something was wrong with me even more, so I've stopped trying to explain much. I occasionally try with a new person and get shot down if I talk about it in terms of Asperger's versus in terms of "this is how I am". But, your cartoons have helped all of us a lot, and will help many more! Unfortunately some NT's just aren't going to get it even with your delightful explanations. They think differently, we can all attest to that. Please don't let them get to you.

Surreal
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2010, 2:31 pm

grendel, you are SO right!

Unfortunately, people considered to be NT really don't CARE moreso than they don't understand.

Just the other day, my Twelve Step sponsor was expressing his disdain for some things about me that really don't have anything to do with ASDs (AFAIK), and then he said, "...but I suppose you'll find SOME condition to blame THAT on."

I know full well better than to blame EVERYTHING on ASDs of one sort or another. I felt like that was a low blow on his part. But thanks to WP and the members who share their experience, I know how to deal with that sort of treatment.

greenturtle74's cartoon was more of a personal thing for me - a way for me to relate to me. It really is a grate way to get the point across in a lighthearted manner!

greenturtle74
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jun 2010, 8:28 pm

grendel wrote:
Just seeing these now, they are really great Greenturtle. I hope you are feeling better than your last post now.

Thank you grendel, and all who have wished me well. I continue to find that "Dude" resonates with those on the spectrum and their family members. I take that to mean I've done something worthwhile, even if my intention was more than to just preach to the choir. It seems beyond my capability to be a bridge-builder to NT's, much less live up to the "Aspie pride" I suggested. But I am slowly returning to my cartooning and my writing, trying to find my voice, whether it's as an advocate or as just another guy with something to say.