Are there any true geniuses here? (IQ over 155)

Page 10 of 28 [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 28  Next

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 12:59 pm

Culture always trumps everything in the end and W is a good example.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:03 pm

twoshots wrote:
ephemerella wrote:
As far as "smart" and "not smart" is concerned, that's a shallow way of assessing leaders. A lot of white collar elites are actually pretty stupid but they went to the right schools and had the right families, like George W. Bush. There are a lot of smart people, but they are usually controlled and dominated by narrow, self-serving ones who are the ones who are best at getting and keeping power.

While the stupidity of Dubya is something that "everybody knows", I'm curious to see what evidence actually backs the claim up. He wasn't top tier brains, but about the only stuff I've heard that could possibly be used to quantify his intelligence points to a bright but not gifted intelligence range (specifically his SAT scores, which using the correlation between SAT and IQ corresponds to around an IQ of 125).

Right, in the context of my own comments, he was in the "leadership" class of elites, but without the real so-called "smarts" to get there on his own. To get into Yale or Harvard MBA programs, you usually have to be pretty elite academically and professionally. Or you can be elite socially. You're right that I shouldn't have said he was "stupid" because he wasn't a stupid man. He had a "C" average from a top school, right? But I don't think that he rose to the top on "smarts" the way one of the above posters used that word.

To assume that our leaders are in their jobs because they are the smart people in society is a somewhat naive assumption, in my opinion. That confuses innate superiority with power.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:23 pm

Quote:
garyww wrote:
Like Millie (Camilla) and several others here I've always used my real name all over the internet. I live a transparant life. I understand that a large majority of people here are fearful of doing so and I respect their individual right for privacy but I do find it odd but that's just me.

hey gary, kind of genius this transparent life...don;t you think?

:D

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:29 pm

Some people are ashamed of being different, some people prefer to lead a private life in general and some people just don't care what society or anybody else thinks about them. It is a liberating way of living to be open without the constriction of being concerned abiout ones lifestyle.

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:33 pm

millie wrote:
Quote:
garyww wrote:
Like Millie (Camilla) and several others here I've always used my real name all over the internet. I live a transparant life. I understand that a large majority of people here are fearful of doing so and I respect their individual right for privacy but I do find it odd but that's just me.

I think it's kind of risky, if a woman has ever been stalked and harassed, to put her real name all over the internet unless she intends to be a public figure.

I have a hard time understanding Asperger people who would issue those kinds of public invitations.

But that is talking as a woman who has been stalked.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:35 pm

Quote:
Anemone wrote:
I worry about the idea that people might think they're fit to rule the world just because they're smart. The smarter you are, the more likely you are to think too much and come up with some really barmy ideas. Oh, wait, that's what happens.

I do think intelligence is a good thing in a leader, and the best leaders seem to be very bright, but there's no way intelligence is enough all by itself. You need to be people-savvy, and inclusive. And you need enough vision to inspire people but not so much that you lead everyone off a cliff like lemmings. (Do they ever do that?)

I think of geniuses and other creative types as explorers reporting back from the fringes of the known world. Geniuses map new terrain, but it's up to the herd whether they want to go that direction or not.

i agree here.

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

I think we're all 'public' figures. If we aren't public then how in the world can we manage to live and function in a republic without losing our fundamental rights.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2009, 1:44 pm

Quote:
Quote:
ephemerella wrote:
millie wrote:
Quote:
garyww wrote:

I think it's kind of risky, if a woman has ever been stalked and harassed, to put her real name all over the internet unless she intends to be a public figure.

I have a hard time understanding Asperger people who would issue those kinds of public invitations.

I am a small time bum and public figure.
i have been stalked and harrassed - by a man who was later imprisoned for rather serious sex crimes. i was also on his list. His name was Mr. Boatswain. Mr Boatswain now spends many years in and out of prisons here in my country. well, last i heard of him he did.
that's life. you can get hit by a bus.
i live with people and not alone.

In fact it is the transparency that is so much a part of my autism because i do not relate to the normal boundary distincitions between self and world.
My transparency isn't even a choice. it just is, as there is no other way for me to live.

I literally have no edit button in my brain - that is one of the things that has been an ongoing issue for my since infancy. now i just live with it.
and accept it. :wink:

I also have poor foresight and poor consequential thinking - so i am classically impulsive and have executive dysfunction.
so, learning from experience is an area of great difficulty for me.
i try to make the most of what i have got and enjoy the ride.
it has not been sheltered and it has not been boring. :lol:

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:23 am

But at least you can be yourself...

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:37 am

Quote:
ruennsheng wrote:
But at least you can be yourself...

thanks ruensheng. :)

ephemerella
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 12:42 am

millie wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
ephemerella wrote:
millie wrote:
Quote:
garyww wrote:

I am a small time bum and public figure.
i have been stalked and harrassed - by a man who was later imprisoned for rather serious sex crimes. i was also on his list. His name was Mr. Boatswain. Mr Boatswain now spends many years in and out of prisons here in my country. well, last i heard of him he did.
that's life. you can get hit by a bus.
i live with people and not alone.

In fact it is the transparency that is so much a part of my autism because i do not relate to the normal boundary distincitions between self and world.
My transparency isn't even a choice. it just is, as there is no other way for me to live.

I literally have no edit button in my brain - that is one of the things that has been an ongoing issue for my since infancy. now i just live with it.
and accept it. :wink:

You say things that I definitely relate to. I wonder if my inability to have definite boundaries between my sensory experience of self and the world is part of the reason why I attract stalkers and harassers so much. There is a lot in your post I relate to.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:06 am

my relationship with the material world is starkly different from my ex and from my son.
my sensory issues impact me greatly and i am almost animal in this respect. i often wonder if that made me susceptible to being hunted. probably. i am a hunter-gatherer in the 21st century...and i agree with INventor on that issue. very much so.

But because i process experiences a bit differently fom others, my experiences with the hunters who hunted me were not perceived as MAJORLY horrible.
i am told it should have, and i can feign the script if need be...but i never really got phased by much.

I am really more animal - I just trotted off and scurried along to the next experience. The thing that pained me more was not my animalism but my inability to FIT in with the expectations others had of me or to make sense of things others told me were important. (But had no meaning or value or importance to me whatsoever.)

in the end i am left to consider the possibility that naivety is in fact the greatest gift because it gives one access to experiences that one usually reserves for film.

so naivety for me has ended up by being a boon - i have lived the great fiction, so to speak.

Some autistics go where angels fear to tread.... thanks to that naivety and animal like quality.

That can be marvellous rather than perceived in the usual light of doom and gloom. My whole take on it is these things can be an asset and we can reframe our point of reference to the purely internal and narcissistic one - and the problems really arise from trying to be like evryone else. The latter may be particularly specific to autistics who are older and who have suffered all the pain of being metaphorically and literally beaten into submission to be like everyone else. No wonder many of us have a host of prior incorrect dx'es and co-morbids such as depression. (people get depressed because they are not free to be who they are meant to be.) the individualism is robbed from us - stolen. it is quite a fight to hang onto it and to find a place free from bitterness and rage. This is where i am at. i am getting there.
and ordinary people experience this too, but maybe less intensely?

(i saw the whole movie of your college post....jeesh - one could turn that into a filmic masterpeice. it's quite an archetypal tale. fantastic. I hope you get peace from it and you can get freedom from the pain of it. :) )

anyway, i probably sound like a crackpot.
i am not one for scientific argument. i don't understand it much of that all because i am not interested in it.

i do know i am fairly unconventional on all fronts and in all areas of my life. animal, part male and part female, part feminine and part masculine in a woman's body, really out on my own in terms of how i think and live. I have found like-minded people here on WP. That is fantastic.

i am interested in the analysis of self as an autistic person who has had a very fuck-ing good ride on planet earth. :lol: :lol: more narcissism... along with painting and autism, my other special interest is ME. true.

:lol: :lol:

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 1:17 pm

What I have learned hunting, prey plays it safe, and they are easy to predict. Some have another view, they confront, and it works. Studies on wolves show it comes down to a few factors, those who run are eaten, those who stand their ground mostly can stare down a wolf pack.

you might eat me, but you best hope there is a hospital near, and you will have to explain what happened to you. A pack will pass on a fight, and some prey species have been known to chase wolves.

The other side of this a a deer with a broken leg will call till the wolves come, then quit when they come.

Humans are not far from this very old game, they still play the roles. Most of it is mental now.

Show fear, they get bolder, ignore them, they stop, stalk them they run.

you may not know what an animal is thinking, but most of the time they know what you are thinking.

Everyone is here because their ancestors survived, they did it by being tricky killer apes.

It is my heritage.

Cats have small claws and teeth, and no legal status, but when they attack, humans pull back as quick as they can, and a small dog can chew up someone's socks and run them out of the yard.

The hairless ground ape is weak prey, seeks weaker prey, and has been wrong before.

The Big A is an animal brain that does not relate to the pretending and posing of humans.

If we play their game, we lose, if they play our game, they lose, whatever shall I do?

They have a plan, I live in now, they cannot make plans very fast, or change them, but now is over, a new gameboard every split second, in an ever changing game they become lost and trip over their own thoughts.

When people dislike me for no reason, I try to help by giving them a reason.

Most humans score very low on AI, Animal Instinct. It is really the only part of living that cannot be given up, first step is becoming domestic, then the slaughter house.

millie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:12 pm

^ in response to this.....

i enjoy the fact an IQ thread has lead into a discussion of the sensory/animal! :lol:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2009, 2:45 pm

My bad; Adverb was only in Mensa for a year in high school.

ruennsheng
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2009, 1:59 am

Oh great!! !

Nobody wants me for high achievers programme even I know as much as the MENSA guys :x