Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 4:52 am

I have never had that thing in the article where it says that there is a "big rush of emotions from people at once too fast to process". I have read some posts from people on this board and I think that quite a few aspies do actually have this.

Me myself was always oblivious to others emotions. It is sort of like the volume of emotions coming from others is almost muted. I can see people having intense emotions around me and remain unaffected by it. In fact I find it interesting and am curious when it is happening.

I think there are quite a few types of Aspergers. I am a very empathetic person and very sympathetic but I actually had to read books to make sense of the emotional side of the world as it was never obvious to me. I think I understand enough now.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 7:42 am

wigglyspider wrote:
Yes, this makes more sense to me than the other thing.

I'm pretty mellow in practice, (don't really get mad or freak out) but I cry really easy. Like, not REAL crying, but talking to people or watching TV or even just thinking about a concept, I often can't hold back a few tears. XD;;; But I'm not sure if it's because I imagine things more intensely or if I just have a lower crying threshold.

I'm like that, I can be alright one minute then poof, as if by magic I'm crying my eyes out. I can't hold it back most of the time, I think for me it's something to do with emotional immaturaty, like I can hold in my emotions as long as an 11 year old can.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 8:09 am

I lack empathy as part of my autism.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2009, 10:13 am

Different cause, same effect. I have Empathy, insofar as people can have empathy without telepathy (Vulcan mind melds make things sooo much easier) if people bother to tell me what's bothering them.

Then you've got to count in societal effects... girls are freer to be emotional, possibly leading to an increase in autism diagnosis's in boys?

Saguaro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jun 2009, 6:44 am

zen_mistress wrote:
I think there are quite a few types of Aspergers. I am a very empathetic person and very sympathetic but I actually had to read books to make sense of the emotional side of the world as it was never obvious to me. I think I understand enough now.

I think I am like this although instead of reading books I did it through analizing/watching how characters interacted on TV when I was younger. Also, depending on the event, I have learned to look at the people around me and try to blend in with their behavior.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:29 am

There's a thread on this in the news section, under 'radical new theory on Autism'. Could a moderator please merge the two?

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2009, 8:34 am

pandd wrote:
No.

We call conditions like that mood disorders; they are common and can be differentiated from ASDs.

There is no mood disorder that would account for the symptoms being referred to.

YellowSpark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jun 2012, 7:07 pm

For me its to much emotion to deal with the simple issues of day to day life I find I am often overwhelmed by my feelings as I am unable to contain them and openly express even the smallest thought anyone else like that?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:03 am

Emotion/reasoning isn't a left/right brain, it's the amygdala vs the frontal lobe. I'm left handed, by the way.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2012, 11:11 am

I'm noticing that this thread has been dead for three years before coming to life. But anyway the theory is quite interesting. I didn't know it until now. There's another thread about it, and an interview, here, just a few months ago: http://www.wrongplanet.net/article419.html

Indeed, for me it makes enough sense. I never felt that I had any lack of feeling, but just the opposite: an overcharge. And this overcharge happens in every life's aspect: either from the sensory point of view, either for the empathic point of view, and even from the annalitical point of view: my mind processes every detail around me, everywhere, every time.