"Disappearing into your own little word"

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

robbokris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2009, 8:30 am

If I'm with close friends and having a decent conversation, then I can stay out of my world for a while, but everyday though I will spend at least some of my time in my own world. More often than not when I'm not occupied in any way I will drift off.

Psygirl6
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Jun 2009, 8:40 am

I need to disappear into my own little world, especially after being with people all day. that is how I can refresh, so i would not feel overwhelmed. That is why when i am in school, i go directly home after wards because I can not handle being around too many people for too long. During the weekend, I need both Saturday and Sunday to be in my own world all day. i enjoy being in my own world because it is fun. I live in a duplex type group home, where I live on one side by myself without roommates and there are 2 men that live on the other side, which i do not see anymore. But because I have my own side all to myself, I consider it my world, both physically and mentally, since it is mine and there are no other people in it. My house is my world. But being an agency sponsored place, there are staff who come in an check on me and that is when my world can be ruined. I have taken the staff and the agency out of life pretty much completely,except for once in a while, so i now I can have my own world again. I am actually moving out into a completely independent apartment, where I can be in my own world the whole entire time I am home, without nay interference.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:24 am

ouinon wrote:
"Disappearing into your own little word".

we may even lose touch with bodily experience as a result of focussing on experience mediated by language.

very very true - to me it's like sleep walking.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:30 am

I can't relate at all.

I'm always in the same world and I'm obviously always in the same world as other people, seeing how my body is here and how I see/hear/feel/taste/smell and think about things that other people can perceive and think too because they're in the same world as me.

I admit that I uncomfortable if people associate autism with 'being in your own world' because a lot of people where I live actually think autism is being in your own world, which is totally beside the point and annoys the hell out of me.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:33 am

Sora wrote:
I can't relate at all.

I'm always in the same world and I'm obviously always in the same world as other people, seeing how my body is here and how I see/hear/feel/taste/smell and think about things that other people can perceive and think too because they're in the same world as me.

I admit that I uncomfortable if people associate autism with 'being in your own world' because a lot of people where I live actually think autism is being in your own world, which is totally beside the point and annoys the hell out of me.

Really? That's interesting. I couldn't imagine what my life would've been like if I hadn't been "in my own world" 95% of the time. And like everyone says, that world is literally a whole "world" because it's so complex and immense.

Sometimes I think the "off in my own little world" is one of my ADHD characteristics (as opposed to AS), but a lot of people here seem to concur so I guess it's probably AS too.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:46 am

sunshower wrote:
Really? That's interesting. I couldn't imagine what my life would've been like if I hadn't been "in my own world" 95% of the time. And like everyone says, that world is literally a whole "world" because it's so complex and immense.

Sometimes I think the "off in my own little world" is one of my ADHD characteristics (as opposed to AS), but a lot of people here seem to concur so I guess it's probably AS too.

I just don't think I know what others mean by 'in their own world'.

Of course I am in my own world in some way, because my perception is unique, but so is everyone else too. We're all on our own in slightly different places and only pretend we are in the same place. But I don't think that's meant by the phrase.

Almost all forms of AD(H)D are typical for 'daydreaming' and 'being elsewhere' but these things are reported to be common amongst those with AS too. It might add up in some way if you have both?

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 12:18 pm

Sora wrote:
sunshower wrote:

Of course I am in my own world in some way, because my perception is unique, but so is everyone else too. We're all on our own in slightly different places and only pretend we are in the same place. But I don't think that's meant by the phrase.

Being in one's "own little world" is a common way that children with ADHD/AS are often described by adults. It basically means that the things that matter to you have little to no bearing on what others think, believe, say, or do. It's being more-or-less oblivious to what others around you are doing. It's the epitome of non-conformity. When you're a child, you don't need to conform as much to the rest of the world to get by. As you get older, you learn more of the framework of society and subsequently your "own little world" isn't as markedly different as everyone else's. However, you have more of the ability to shape your own world.

For instance, I have more-or-less fashioned my life around a very supportive subculture (it's more of a counterculture in many ways). I've made that world mine, and it is very much a real world to me. It's quite far from the broader "real" world, though. I acknowledge that that world is out there, but I simply choose not to participate in most of it.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 2:07 pm

ouinon wrote:
"Disappearing into your own little word".

Am struck by the lapsus there. I think many Aspergers do "disappear into words". I think many people on the AS end/side of the spectrum are unusually vulnerable to the virtual reality which is language, and do indeed disappear into words, ( and/or other symbolic systems ).

I think language seems especially vivid/three dimensional to many of us, has a grip on us which it doesn't on most NTs, and that we may even lose touch with bodily experience as a result of focussing on experience mediated by language.

In the beginning was the little word topic

I guess I disappear into my own little "I", being autistic. :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:19 pm

I disappear into it too when there is a special interest and stay absorbed until the material is learned;at this juncture everything social is perfunctory.
In between obsessions I vacillate to the outside and converse somewhat.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 10:04 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
Sora wrote:
sunshower wrote:

Being in one's "own little world" is a common way that children with ADHD/AS are often described by adults. It basically means that the things that matter to you have little to no bearing on what others think, believe, say, or do. It's being more-or-less oblivious to what others around you are doing. It's the epitome of non-conformity. When you're a child, you don't need to conform as much to the rest of the world to get by. As you get older, you learn more of the framework of society and subsequently your "own little world" isn't as markedly different as everyone else's. However, you have more of the ability to shape your own world.

For instance, I have more-or-less fashioned my life around a very supportive subculture (it's more of a counterculture in many ways). I've made that world mine, and it is very much a real world to me. It's quite far from the broader "real" world, though. I acknowledge that that world is out there, but I simply choose not to participate in most of it.

That's not so much how I see it (but maybe mine is more related to ADHD). For me it's a complete disconnection from reality - I am literally living in "another world" where all the sensory sensations (more sound and vision, but others too sometimes) come from the alternate world I am in.

It's like jumping between dimensions, or reality. When I hear music in my head I'm still in this world - but I can hear music and then drift out, and once I'm hearing music and seeing different things (to what's actually in front of my eyes), I'm in the alternate reality.

I'm not schizophrenic just to be absolutely clear on this one, but it's like a waking dream almost.

mikemmlj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2009, 11:38 pm

Absoultely. Most of the time I prefer to be by myself.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:52 pm

I go into auto-pilot mode very often, everything just happens and it doesn't feel like i have any control. My movements don't seem to be my own, my speech doesn't seem to be my own, i seem more like a passenger than an actual person. The world and the people in it, do not seem to be real, everything just feels illusionary.

Tory_canuck
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 2:55 am

Usually happens when Im bored...my mind wanders off into daydreaming mode.My mind has left the building and off somewhere else while my body is left behind doing what it was set on autopilot to do.I could make legal documents for class fine but my mind is off somewhere else like the Philippines on a beach, doin something fun or in some other paradise away from the tasks and stresses of the moment.

ALBERTAN...and DAMN PROUD OF IT!!

Presto77
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2009, 12:17 pm

I go into my own little world all the time. I especially do it while I'm listening to music I enjoy and definitely when I sit in front of my flat desk and illustrate my own little comic adventures with my made up characters(no super heroes!). It comes in handy when I work on my graphic design projects for college. All the above I do primarily at home alone and also at school, never EVER getting lonely, not being pestered by the outside world, though its not so bad at school. Except now I have a summer job as a busser/dishwasher where I'm constantly surrounded by people. Of course even then I'm 40% by myself but sometimes I get rushed BY THE MANAGER. "HURRY UP! HURRY UP! YOUR MOVIN' TO SLOW!" 8O I can't wait 'till late August... so I can quit.

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 1:07 pm

sunshower wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
Sora wrote:
I just don't think I know what others mean by 'in their own world'...

That's not so much how I see it (but maybe mine is more related to ADHD). For me it's a complete disconnection from reality - I am literally living in "another world" where all the sensory sensations (more sound and vision, but others too sometimes) come from the alternate world I am in.

It's like jumping between dimensions, or reality. When I hear music in my head I'm still in this world - but I can hear music and then drift out, and once I'm hearing music and seeing different things (to what's actually in front of my eyes), I'm in the alternate reality.

I'm not schizophrenic just to be absolutely clear on this one, but it's like a waking dream almost.

Okay, I kind of veered off topic in my last paragraph. As a kid, I was very much oblivious to others and for the most part lived in a world of my own imagination. I kind of know what you mean about the "walking dream," but frankly I can't do this anymore to the same extent, so my memories of this are very vague.

In my last paragraph, I meant that my adult reaction to not fitting into the mainstream world was to find a world that better fits into my world view. That's not "living in my own little world" at all, in relation to the original question, but rather is a coping mechanism for life.

sunshower
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 5:02 pm

fiddlerpianist wrote:
sunshower wrote:
fiddlerpianist wrote:
Sora wrote:
I just don't think I know what others mean by 'in their own world'...

Okay, I kind of veered off topic in my last paragraph. As a kid, I was very much oblivious to others and for the most part lived in a world of my own imagination. I kind of know what you mean about the "walking dream," but frankly I can't do this anymore to the same extent, so my memories of this are very vague.

In my last paragraph, I meant that my adult reaction to not fitting into the mainstream world was to find a world that better fits into my world view. That's not "living in my own little world" at all, in relation to the original question, but rather is a coping mechanism for life.

Ah I see. I think I was a bit literal in my interpretation. I can't lose myself for the same amount of time as I used to when I was younger, but I still lose myself to the same extent on and off.