Have you heard of this severe kind of autism?

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:27 pm

You are more likely to find the most profound sorts of autism, as well as profound mental retardation, among people with multiple disabilities. Perhaps that is where the confusion is. If they were diagnosed only with autism+MR, I really doubt there would be significant mobility impairment beyond the usual problems starting, stopping, and directing movements.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 6:54 pm

Spokane_Girl wrote:
My husband and I were talking on the way to Spokane today and I was saying there should be more funding and research into autism so kids with it get the help they need and families too so they aren't suffering because of the lack of support and services. He said there should be a cure to people who can't move their bodies so they can't walk or talk or eat or do anything and I told him I don't think you can fix that because they are paralyzed and that can't be fixed? He said some kids are so severely autistic, they can't move their bodies because they are so locked into their own world, they have to be in a wheelchair. He said he saw it on TV and I told him I have never heard of that kind of autism. The severe case I have seen was where they had no language and all they do is scream all day and you can't get through to them when you talk to them or when you tell them don't do this or don't do that and they are tearing your house apart they are like animals.

So anyone ever heard of that kind of severe autism where kids have to be in a wheelchair because they are so locked into their own world, they can't walk and do anything?

If someone can't move and can't communicate at all, how can you know that it's autism? If there's no way to actually communicate with them, you can't know where the disconnect is, what it is that doesn't function correctly in their brain. MRIs and PET scans and stuff would provide some insight into the neurological workings, but with no communication, how can you possibly know what the inner experience that's causing it is? For all we know, it could be that the person has somehow transcended humanity to the point that communication with the rest of the human race is unfathomable.. I'm not saying that that's the case, but.. how do you KNOW? The brain compensates for different things in different ways... it's possible that if one part of the brain fails to develop correctly, others could overdevelop so much that the thought processes would just be completely different. The more I see around here the more sure I am that diagnosis is so revolved around the frustrations of the clinician with their difficulty in communicating with someone that they're likely to just totally miss the actual problem, even if is something that could be observed and understood. It's that old misconception that different means worse. Who knows. What I can't understand, I really can't judge one way or the other.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:07 pm

Michjo wrote:
Autism isn't a singular disease, it's actually usually a secondary effect of other disorders that effect how the brain functions. When we speak of autism, we are only talking about the observable effects of a primary disorder. Autism in this sense is analgous to a diabetic having low blood sugar.

There are plenty of people out there with autism who cannot move, or have their movements impaired.

I can't agree with that.. a diabetic with low blood sugar is crazy. They're usually quite combative and seem psychotic.. until they get some glucose. Then they seem just like a normal person, because really, they are... so it doesn't seem like an accurate analogy to me.

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:33 pm

Maggiedoll wrote:
Michjo wrote:
Autism isn't a singular disease, it's actually usually a secondary effect of other disorders that effect how the brain functions. When we speak of autism, we are only talking about the observable effects of a primary disorder. Autism in this sense is analgous to a diabetic having low blood sugar.

There are plenty of people out there with autism who cannot move, or have their movements impaired.

I can't agree with that.. a diabetic with low blood sugar is crazy. They're usually quite combative and seem psychotic.. until they get some glucose. Then they seem just like a normal person, because really, they are... so it doesn't seem like an accurate analogy to me.

My point is, when we diagnose people with autism we are not looking at the causes, we are looking at the symptoms. Low blood sugar is a symptom caused by many different disorders. In this sense, low blood sugar is only a secondary effect and not a primary disorder. Autism is a group of symptoms, autism is secondary.

Maggiedoll
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 7:44 pm

Michjo wrote:
Maggiedoll wrote:
Michjo wrote:

My point is, when we diagnose people with autism we are not looking at the causes, we are looking at the symptoms. Low blood sugar is a symptom caused by many different disorders. In this sense, low blood sugar is only a secondary effect and not a primary disorder. Autism is a group of symptoms, autism is secondary.

Hmm.. I almost thought of it more the other way.. that autism is more neurological, more of a cause than a symptom. It may depend on the form, and how well the diagnosis is made, I guess. I'm sure there are people diagnosed with autism that display those symptoms for other reasons.
For me, there have been so many diagnoses.. anxiety, depression, personality disorders, eating disorders... all things that were symptoms rather than causes.. and AS can explain almost all of the problems I've had, rather than just being a set of symptoms. I'm only just starting to wrap my mind around that.. I don't think I"m ready to process the concept that autism could be a surface symptom in a similar way as all my other symptoms have been.

matrixlover
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jun 2009, 8:47 pm

that Autism itself could cause immobility that severe, it isn't a neurological disorder that affects the motor planning to that extent. It happens to be co-morbid with lots of other disorders such as MR and epilepsy. I think what you're speaking about is someone deemed to be diagnosed with multiple disabilities, Autism being one of them.

However, people with Childhood Disintegrative Disorder or Rett's Syndrome are currenlty falling in the Autism Spectrum. Both are degenerative brain disorders, and Rett's is fatal. They were grouped with Autism because the individuals exhibit some Autistic symptoms, but like another poster said, the Autistic characteristics in these cases are a drop in the bucket. These disorders involve some severe regression in motor skills, so maybe that's what your husband was thinking of?

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 10:57 pm

Callista wrote:
Uhh... What? There are plenty of people who are paralyzed and obviously not autistic. It's hardly anybody who is truly unable to move ANYTHING--even people almost totally unable to move anything communicate by eye gaze. It's possible to create a communication device that can actually read where your eyes are pointing, so you can look at pictures, symbols, letters, and words. It's slow, but it's communication.

No, they could diagnose it. It would just be difficult. Autism + paralysis isn't actually the most difficult diagnosis; autism + profound mental retardation poses the most problems.

WOW! So a person that is basically DEAD could be diagnosed as autistic? HOW?

Michjo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2009, 11:10 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
Callista wrote:
Uhh... What? There are plenty of people who are paralyzed and obviously not autistic. It's hardly anybody who is truly unable to move ANYTHING--even people almost totally unable to move anything communicate by eye gaze. It's possible to create a communication device that can actually read where your eyes are pointing, so you can look at pictures, symbols, letters, and words. It's slow, but it's communication.

No, they could diagnose it. It would just be difficult. Autism + paralysis isn't actually the most difficult diagnosis; autism + profound mental retardation poses the most problems.

WOW! So a person that is basically DEAD could be diagnosed as autistic? HOW?

(I) A total of six (or more) items from (A), (B), and (C), with at least two from (A), and one each from (B) and (C)

(A) qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. marked impairments in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body posture, and gestures to regulate social interaction
2. failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
3. a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people, (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
4. lack of social or emotional reciprocity ( note: in the description, it gives the following as examples: not actively participating in simple social play or games, preferring solitary activities, or involving others in activities only as tools or "mechanical" aids )

(B) qualitative impairments in communication as manifested by at least one of the following:
1. delay in, or total lack of, the development of spoken language (not accompanied by an attempt to compensate through alternative modes of communication such as gesture or mime)
2. in individuals with adequate speech, marked impairment in the ability to initiate or sustain a conversation with others
3. stereotyped and repetitive use of language or idiosyncratic language
4. lack of varied, spontaneous make-believe play or social imitative play appropriate to developmental level

(C) restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests and activities, as manifested by at least two of the following:
1. encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
2. apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
3. stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
4. persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

(II) Delays or abnormal functioning in at least one of the following areas, with onset prior to age 3 years:

(A) social interaction
(B) language as used in social communication
(C) symbolic or imaginative play

Assuming that the individual had use of their eyes, everything in bold could be displayed. And of couse, there are plenty of people with autism, who do not have meaningful motor control, who are not paralyzed that would fit what the original poster was describing.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2009, 8:08 am

0_equals_true wrote:
b9 wrote:
Zyborg wrote:
Spokane_Girl wrote:
So anyone ever heard of that kind of severe autism where kids have to be in a wheelchair because they are so locked into their own world, they can't walk and do anything?

That is not autism. That is cerebral pares.

Its lameness.

Both autist and neurotypical person could suffer from cerebral pares.

you are strange. cerebral palsy is not the same as profound autism.
profound autism is the deepest and most severe grade of autism, and all people who are autistic are a version of this to a variably diluted degree. asperger people who are almost "NT" (i do not like that term any more) are the most dilute. they have a "pinch" of autism only. profoundly autistic people are profoundly affected.

What he say is accurate your information is wrong. Cerebral palsy is a common co morbid (I know someone with both), but autism itself does not make you immobile.

i do not agree with you and you are not even arguing any point i made.

first of all zyborg wrote that the immobility described by spokane girl was NOT autism and WAS cerebral palsy.
i was saying that people with cerebral palsy are not what profoundly autistic people are. both have mobility problems, and neurological mobility problems are not confined to cerebral palsy.

i did not say that the 2 can not co exist in the same person. you inferred it. color blindness is not the same as tone deafness and both can exist in the same person.
same with autism and CP.
autism does not contraindicate any other diagnosis i would think (except maybe sociopathy)

and autism does definitely render some people very mobility impaired. also i did not say total immobility because that is a vegetative state. their eyes move and they can move their muscles because they are not paralyzed, but they have severe mobility problems (profoundly affected people that is).

when i was 15, i saw a teenager while i was required to attend appointments every week at a mental health center and he was profoundly autistic i was told by a nurse (who liked me because i asked lots of medical questions) and she told me his iq was about 20.

i watched him for a while. he had a hard caking of gunk around his lips and he had thick mucus totally blocking each nostril and even protruding (he did not seem aware if it) and he dribbled with abandon, and he was in a wheelchair, and he was slumped in an almost "dead weight" way in the chair most of the time (too many "ands" i know... but there you go).
he paid no attention to any external stimuli, but he grimaced in his responses to what must have been going through his mind.

sometimes he would unexpectedly grunt out a sound like a laugh, but it sounded uncivilized as if he was taught to express himself by a pack of hyena's. it was totally unexpected when his voice erupted into an unstylized utterance, but he never said any actual words.

the most advanced thing i saw him do was grasp a stick and stimulate his hands with it. the nurse said that they find sticks outside that are a bit rough textured, and about 1.5" (3.7 cm) thick and about 1 foot long (30 cm). this fellow who was called "bru" (???) used to grab the stick in both hands and twist both his hands in opposite directions while holding the stick just hard enough to not let the stick drop, but soft enough so that his skin of each hand slipped on the rough surface of the stick in opposite directions and there was no net twisting of the stick.
he made a moaning sound that oscillated because of the movement of his arms and hands (he twisted his hands very rapidly on the stick)

he did this all day every day apparently. he usually keep the same stick all day, and if someone tried to offer him a new on and take his away, he would squeal in dissatisfaction. but when after he went to sleep, he woke with no memory of his stick from yesterday and any new stick of correct proportions would do.
there was no way he could walk or even sense balance by the look of it.

he was as profound as i ever witnessed and he was not able to even crawl.

this is a link to a site but it may not be the best. it was the first one i found and it summarily covers a few basic points.

http://brighttots.com/Autism/Low_Functi ... utism.html

desdemona
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Jun 2009, 10:33 pm

Sounds like "locked in syndrome"-- not autism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locked-In_syndrome

--des