Quick and easy Executive Function Test

Page 2 of 14 [ 221 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

In one minute, how many animals can you think of that start with the letter "S"?
0-2 10%  10%  [ 101 ]
0-2 10%  10%  [ 101 ]
3-5 21%  21%  [ 215 ]
3-5 21%  21%  [ 215 ]
6-8 13%  13%  [ 135 ]
6-8 13%  13%  [ 135 ]
9-11 4%  4%  [ 40 ]
9-11 4%  4%  [ 40 ]
11-15 3%  3%  [ 33 ]
11-15 3%  3%  [ 33 ]
Total votes : 1048

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 5:29 pm

"8"

but 3 were dinosaurs. Does that count?

snail
squid
snake
styracosaurus
stegosaurus
spinosaurus
skylark
salamander

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 6:04 pm

Snail
Salamander
Sloth
Snake
Sabertooth Tiger
Skink

The words, skunk and squirrel popped in my mind as soon as I cast my vote. :roll:
My retrieval process is esclusively visual as I have to picture different animal habitats and what animals live in them. Then I "see" animals and pick the ones that have names that begin with S.

I'm curious to how the amount of animals you can remember indicates executive disfunction. Do people with ED remember fewer or is the method of remembering symtomatic of ED?

ACG
Raven
Raven

18 Jan 2006, 6:19 pm

I got 11.

Once I figured out seagull, lots of things starting with SEA came in: seahorse, sea lion.
Then I thought starfish, starling, sparrow...

I envisioned the first two letters in my head a lot and the words fell into place.

ACG

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 6:24 pm

I got lots. First I got "snake"; then "snake"; then, er "snake"; then another "snake"; then more "snake"; then yet more "snake" and oh I forgot one ........... "snake" ! !! !! !! !! !! ! :lol:

fizzled
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2006, 6:34 pm

I got six, then I got stuck, and really angry and quit before a minute had elapsed.

synchro
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jan 2006, 6:34 pm

Ooooh boy am I messed up....

The word salamander popped immediately into my head, then a grinning monkey's face filled my thoughts until I had about five seconds left and then thought "satyr."

At least a satyr is part animal.

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2006, 6:40 pm

I got these five:

snake
salamander
skunk
snail
squid

but I had just read the word "snake" and I got "squid" in at the last second, so it's probably more like three or four. Usually on these sorts of things, I get two or three in a minute.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Lurker_Extraordinaire
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Jan 2006, 6:52 pm

synchro wrote:
Ooooh boy am I messed up....

The word salamander popped immediately into my head, then a grinning monkey's face filled my thoughts until I had about five seconds left and then thought "satyr."

At least a satyr is part animal.

LOL :D

I thought of Snake, salamander, snail and sloth in that order, in about 20 seconds.......then I drew a blank and just went off into lala land and started stimming to the music in the background.

Ladysmokeater
Veteran
Veteran

Location: North of Atlanta, South of Boston, East of the Mississippi, and West of the Atlantic

18 Jan 2006, 6:56 pm

i got nine:

hermit
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Jan 2006, 8:21 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
I'm curious to how the amount of animals you can remember indicates executive disfunction. Do people with ED remember fewer or is the method of remembering symtomatic of ED?

Yes, usually fewer... though Cade had a good example of how to work around it.

It's described as an organizational deficit (what this is testing for) having to do with categorization of objects. (more than just physical objects, 'concepts' may be a better word)

Also the perseverence on the first animal though of is very common. For me anyway it's like asking the computer the same question over and over again:

"Give me a name of an animal that starts with S:" snake

repeat. The 'snake' is always at the top of the list... and you need to change it a little to get a new answer. So, then, 'SN': snake sn sn..... snail!

as it relates to the organizational deficit, the idea is (actually kind of like you were saying nirrti_rachelle) that the info is all there, but not paticularly cross-referenced in any way.

Neuroman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 8:40 pm

i got seal and then got stuck wondering if seals count as animals.

if you are going through hell, keep going.
Winston Churchill

Grey
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2006, 9:12 pm

This was harder than I thought it would be.

I got six.

I started with seal, then blanked. So I thought about what else lived in the sea. That gave me Sea Lion, Sea Gull and Sea Anemonie. Then I thought a bit about whether a Sea Anemonie counted. To get back on track I tried to think of fish and got salmon. Then I couldn't think of any more things that lived in the sea, so I tried to think of things on land. I couldn't think of any pets that started S, and I couldn't think of any domesticated animals that started with S. But then I thought of snakes just as time ran out.

So, does anybody know what the average for an NT would be at this?

Grey

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2006, 9:27 pm

I am rather interested in animals, so I sort of ended up going for less conventional ones, I thought of more specific animals, I guess.

Snake
Stegosaurus
Sea turtle
Sea horse
Spectacled bear
Siberian tiger

My process was basically attempting to picture various animals I have seen. For some reason an image of a kinkajou kept returning to my mind, which was somewhat disruptive, but did lead me to the spectacled bear, eventually.

Lost
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jan 2006, 12:21 am

I've been trying to find a clear explanation of executive function and this is a good practical example. :)

I spent around 25 seconds trying to think of animals beginning in s before giving up as a lost cause.

Accessing and organising my memory is quite poor in some areas yet on the whole I have an excellent memory. I think I lack cross - referencing links as I sometimes need to approach things from the side to remember them.

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 2:58 am

Snake, salamander, starfish, seabass, sloth, seaturtle, serpent doesn't count (=snake)

...darn, I came up with 7, voted and read other posts, and now I've forgotten the last. Also, I kept on thinking of 'semaphore'.

So many people got salamander! :lol: did anyone think of spider?

Sean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2006, 3:43 am

Sea otter
Sea snake
Sea Urchin
Sea cucumber
Salmon
Sparrow
Sidewinder
Sloth