Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2009, 4:06 pm

marshall wrote:
I would guess then that you're another "theoretical" thinker like I am. I think our mode of thinking is more subconsciously in tune with the underlying order and structure and less fixated on concrete facts. We also tend to have a stronger appreciation for the aesthetic nature of things over the practical.

When you were little did you spend a lot of time drawing, building things with blocks, coming up with designs? Were you more emotionally drawn to aesthetics than to people or activities?

I'm just curious how many other aspies are similar to me.

Um, yes. :D I still spend a lot of time drawing. And crafting. And one of my obsessions is fashion design.

AGMorehouse
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Jun 2009, 8:00 pm

I do have some intuition, and I usually keep it in my head. When I look at what has happend in the past, and I look at someone's behavior, I get that "feeling" that something good (or bad) is going to happen.

you will jouney from boy to man

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2009, 2:13 pm

I have premonitions sometimes. My father says this is intuition and common among Celtics. A lot of Aspies are Celtic (but I think more are Slavic).

animal
Toucan
Toucan

27 Jun 2009, 2:34 am

marshall wrote:
Eller wrote:
Intuition - for what? I'm obviously lacking intuition in social situations, but my intuition for other stuff is just fine - I usually do my problem-solving subconsciously. And I'm good at it.

I would guess then that you're another "theoretical" thinker like I am. I think our mode of thinking is more subconsciously in tune with the underlying order and structure and less fixated on concrete facts. We also tend to have a stronger appreciation for the aesthetic nature of things over the practical.

When you were little did you spend a lot of time drawing, building things with blocks, coming up with designs? Were you more emotionally drawn to aesthetics than to people or activities?

I'm just curious how many other aspies are similar to me.

Hey that's me too. I've been told I'm very intuitive (I wouldn't know - I can't judge the quality of other people's intuition), and I think about art & language & literature & phenomenology & stuff. I'm into structure, and I see patterns and pick connections intuitively. I just can't apply my intuition to the social world. I'm a good observer, so I can pick up on what's going on after I've had enough time to process all the information, but I can't see how I'm supposed to act, what to say, anything like that. My intuition goes out the window the moment I'm confronted with another person. When I'm around another human being, I'm totally in the dark.

I also spent a lot of time drawing & designing & building when I was a child. I still do all these things, because I am an artist.

It is therefore my belief that I am an 'aspie' who is similar to you.

Saguaro
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2009, 8:37 am

Ana54 wrote:
I have premonitions sometimes. My father says this is intuition and common among Celtics. A lot of Aspies are Celtic (but I think more are Slavic).

Where do Anglo Saxons fall in this theory?

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 9:53 am

The way I perceive if someone is like me, is to think about them and then feel their mood to see if I perceive them feeling me thinking of them. People whose intuition works like this seem to be intensely rare. I discovered I had this ability from an online friend who felt it in me, and helped me learn how to use it. I discovered I had this ability when I was 43, and in the 16 years since then, I have met 10 people who are able to perceive when I am thinking about them, two of them are Aspies. I have encountered a few others who felt like they have this ability but had not discovered it in themselves yet. Every one of these folks has been female. I have wondered if this ability is also some type of person's way of finding compatible soul mates. Several of those friends have told me they encounter many more males with this ability than they encounter females with it. There have been exceptions. The last person that I befriended who has this ability said I was the first male with this ability she had ever encountered, and she knew two other female friends who had it. Maybe I need to change my log name to atypical_neurotypical. :)

Brittany2907
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's
The ultimate storm is eternally on it's

29 Jun 2009, 11:12 am

I'm not entirely sure what intuition even is, but on personality tests my intuition score has always been average or high so I must have some.

alba
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 6:40 pm

Intuition is my strong suit. However it doesn't function in social situations, with the exception of helping me to avoid them in the first place or to escape from entanglement once in them.

When among people who-- with their attitudes-- show their contempt or worse, it damages and depletes my nervous system to the point where I can barely function in their presence. For my intuition to be fully operational, I require a safe place in which to exist. That definitely means--away from people.

elderwanda
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 7:46 pm

How would you know if you are intuitive or not?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 11:24 pm

willmark wrote:
The way I perceive if someone is like me, is to think about them and then feel their mood to see if I perceive them feeling me thinking of them. People whose intuition works like this seem to be intensely rare. I discovered I had this ability from an online friend who felt it in me, and helped me learn how to use it. I discovered I had this ability when I was 43, and in the 16 years since then, I have met 10 people who are able to perceive when I am thinking about them, two of them are Aspies. I have encountered a few others who felt like they have this ability but had not discovered it in themselves yet. Every one of these folks has been female. I have wondered if this ability is also some type of person's way of finding compatible soul mates. Several of those friends have told me they encounter many more males with this ability than they encounter females with it. There have been exceptions. The last person that I befriended who has this ability said I was the first male with this ability she had ever encountered, and she knew two other female friends who had it. Maybe I need to change my log name to atypical_neurotypical. :)

How can you test something like this? I'm not trying to discredit it. I'm just curious, that's all.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2009, 11:43 pm

elderwanda wrote:
How would you know if you are intuitive or not?

I know mainly because other people tell me I am.

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 1:04 am

Sure, I have intuition.
I can look at the sky on a given morning and tell whether or not it will rain.
I can check out an ailing plant and without a word, understand and proceed to remedy the situation.

If you are talking about social intuition, then I am totally lost.
I cannot even begin to predict what someone's next action or speech will be.
I can't gauge the emotional state of another person and respond to it in a way that shows an immediate depth of understanding.

I think that the concept of intuition does not exclude people on the Autism Spectrum. It's just that we use our powers of intuition to interact with the physical, rather than social, world.

TPE2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 8:12 am

First, define "intuition"

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 8:28 am

marshall wrote:
willmark wrote:

How can you test something like this? I'm not trying to discredit it. I'm just curious, that's all.

By 'test' do you mean validate? These people were online friends. We discussed our experiences with each other and compared notes. I learned what different felt perceptions meant by finding out what they felt, or were doing at the same time. Does that make sense? I discovered for instance that I could perceive whether one was awake or asleep by the difference in the feel of their vibe, and validated it by asking them later if they had been asleep at that time. That kind of discovery is easier to accomplish when the on line friend's time zone is 7 hours ahead of mine.

happyatlast
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jun 2009, 8:49 am

Extremely intuitive, bad at dealing with it in a socially acceptable way. There have been two separate work situations (very different jobs) where I had a strong negative reaction, knew these people were up to something.
I can't hide it though, I have tried very hard. It has created problems for me, but later others were flabbergasted when the truth came out, then they reacted to me as if there was something freaky about it all.
Currently waiting to see what horrid thing comes to light about my most recent strong reaction to a fine respected citizen (preacher), and when pondering my reaction to him, a time frame popped up in my mind of about a year and a half. If in fact some scandalous truth about this man comes out around October 2011, I am going to start telling fortunes. :wink:

willmark
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2009, 9:09 am

There are a few members of this forum who are female, but their avatar contains a male picture. These folks are causing me cognitive dissonance. My intuition offers a guess, based on I have no idea what, as to the gender of the person writing the post, and it's right much of the time. On some of the posts on this forum, the post will feel feminine but there in the avatar sits a photo of a guy in cowboy hat or whatever, so I go look at the profile, and sure enough, it says female. I guess I am going to have to start ignoring their avatar. :roll: